Gltron

clarky2o2o

GLtron is the best Tron Light cycle I have ever played I (and somebody else) have already asked Andreas himself to port an old version he has sadly refused. saying it be too "ugly". But he hasstated many times that somebody can try to port it.

the link is "www.gltron.org"

the advantage of GLTRON is the EASE of skinning the levels to suit and are low in size (about 400k average). u the best examples are the Mario ones (both 8 and 16 bit variations).

so what do you guyes say do you think.Can be done while keeping reasonable speed and graphics.

Additional:This game is already on windows/ mac and linux OS.

I looked it up but it seems like the only option is openGL. What you probably mean is using the mesa libraries but those are openGL with software and horribly slow. If you have ever had a linux system and tried to run games without proper openGL drivers you will know what I mean.

I think Armagetron Advanced would be a good alternative I've played both and I think this would work better seems to be less graphics intensive not sure if it uses openGL or not but like GLtron has ports to mac and linux and has a great community there are users in one room or another almost around the clock but I dont know If it would be easier to port or not as im not a programmer.

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but I didnt want to start a new one if one already existed.

A version of Armagetron (pre advanced, like 0.2.6) was very playable on my very old notebook, which was a 200mhz P1(none mmx) tosh with some kinda MGA chipset that worked at around 15fps after some messy mesa code was removed.

Now I actually have a gp2x, my dream is to see arma running on it with some success (5-10 fps can be playable) now don;t get me wrong, I know mesa will never run complicated games like quake 2/3 UT ect ect at a reasnoble framerate, but I strongly belive simple games like armagetron do have a chance of running. I also remember that my old 486 DX100 had no chance at the same game, but then again, it didn't have 2 cpu's or anything close to the early MGA chipsets. I do not belive the code used in Armagetron advanced would be easily ported to the gp2x, but the really early versions could run, IMHO.

I'm going to make it a personal goal to get a very early version running, I may just end up bald, but hell, I have to try ;)

Id like to see your progress on that. I personally prefer GLtron (071) but any 3d light cycle game on the move would be just as good.

Back