Going From Bad To Worse....

SAMBA

Still Fresh
My f200 now flickering and flashing black, like the batterys are not properly connected, cannot do anything with it- tried several sets of brand new batterys- will have to send it back. :(

So far my first experiences of the GP2X world arnt that great.

Just one question. Are you using regular batteries or rechargables? If you're using regular batteries I suggest you try some NiMH rechargable batteries before you give up on your gp2x. Preferbly some 2500mAh+ ones. The F100 was notorious for not working well with regular batteries and the F200 could very well have the same problem...

Ahh! we are going to have a whole new generation of people asking why their alkalines aren't working!

But yeah, what they said, alkaline batteries (the normal non-rechargable ones) suck for hi drain devices, like digital cameras and GP2x's - if this is what you're trying buy some high capacity 2500mah+ nimh rechargables.

Thanks for that help guys, sorry I must really be a newbie round here!

I have my rechargable batterys ( that came with the GP2X) on charge now and will try them when they are charged.

Hopefully that will sort it.

It is strange though as it seemed to work fine for a couple of hours then it started going haywire. :blink:

SAMBA said:
Thanks for that help guys, sorry I must really be a newbie round here!

I have my rechargable batterys ( that came with the GP2X) on charge now and will try them when they are charged.

Hopefully that will sort it.

It is strange though as it seemed to work fine for a couple of hours then it started going haywire. :blink:
batterys dead :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope the batterys didnt die I dont think- because accourding the the energy gage on the GP2X they were full- and I tried with a brand new set of batterys aswell and the same flickering and the screen going dead happened.

Interesting enough- I took the batterys out ( still normal alkaline one) and shook them up and down for a min and put them back in the GP2X and they seemed to work ok again.

Its all a bit hit and miss- hopefully I should be able to tell if it is the batterys or not when the rechargables have charged.

SAMBA said:
Nope the batterys didnt die I dont think- because accourding the the energy gage on the GP2X they were full- and I tried with a brand new set of batterys aswell and the same flickering and the screen going dead happened.

Interesting enough- I took the batterys out ( still normal alkaline one) and shook them up and down for a min and put them back in the GP2X and they seemed to work ok again.

Its all a bit hit and miss- hopefully I should be able to tell if it is the batterys or not when the rechargables have charged.

Don't worry. It's definitely the batteries

Thats kool then- maybe in hindsight maybe this thread was a bit dramatic then, although there must be a whole lot of people got their f-200's today and the same thing is happening, and if you dont know any better (as it doesnt mention this in the manuel or anything) they must think their machine is faulty.

Just why people are around- Im experimenting trying to play movies on the movie player, ive put a couple of AVI's on my SD card but they dont seem to be showing up, I also bought across a WMV, but again no show.

Any ideas?

sam fisher said:
.WMV won't show but .avi files should be shown :S

Youll have to excuse me- I out do myself sometimes, that AVI i put on my SD card was actually an .mpg

:smiley sign for retard: :D

Don't worry about it, you've learnt two new things tonight, so it's not all bad news, eh?

Yep definatly learning- the world of GP2X seems a lot better now, and this forum is most helpful!

I was reading in the other F.A.Q section about a mains power adaptor- what kind of one do I need to get so I can just play from the wall plug socket? Hopefully I can track on down on ebay.

Sorry this thread is turning into a general beginners guide to GP2X.

Pretty friendly responses to a problem people here have heard 1M times.

Good ole GP2X community.

@Samba,

The main problem with the GP2X, is it's full of little "quirks" and they're not written about in many reviews. When you hit one, the natural response is to think your machine is broken, but often its nothing so bad.

You just have to not think of the 2X as a normal polished retail product, but more of a hobby (buggy) niche item.

The first batteries I tried were alkalines and I got maybe 20 seconds! of run time then a glitchy screen and black screen on reboot (just as if something had fried), caused me a few moments of grief.

Mine also came with a non-functional battery LED, but that didnt bother me, I just opened it up and replaced it.

The buggy-ness of the hardware is far outweighed by the awesomeness of the homebrew & emulation software and the community.

ps; Be very careful with non official AC adapters, loads of people have fried their 2X from either incorrect polarity or accidental over voltage with the variable power units.

g'luck.

Another thing to take note of. The amp in the F200 is loud. It is so loud that it will suck batteries dry in no time. It have actually seen the power LED dim to the sound when the volume was loud. It also crashed the GP2X while overclocking as the amp sucked away too much power from the CPU at high volume. Crank up with caution.

Does anyone remember the problem with people reporting that their First Editions and mkI screens were cracked? Any people were just not noticing the protective film and pulling it off!

Back