Good Move For Microsoft?

KickinWing

Arguable Idiot
Website
Visit site
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/30/news_6128428.html

If this does end up being true. This has been tried a couple times. Panasonic 3do was also made by Goldstar, it was a cheaper unit, but the same hardware, and the CD-I was made by Magnavox and Phillips.

I don't know if this would be smart or not, the money is made mostly on the software, but if a third party could manufacture the 360 cheaper than microsoft, then i guess that could be a good thing, since the cost of the machine should be less than projected.

so if Im reading that correctly, does that mean someone like Sony, Panasonic or Philips etc etc could produce the Xbox 360 as well???

i tihnk it would be a very bad move as long as they arent forced to use 100% the same parts, the big advantage of a console is that you can expect to allways have 100% the same hardware, having different ones only would make developeing more complicated/expensive and also would husrt stability.

the way i read it was that the hardware and OS was going to stay the same for developers to use to make their own version of the console. So if i'm reading it right, which i think i am, it is the same as when the 3do was made by Panasonic, and then made by Goldstar. Also like how Sega Genesis and Sega CD was made by JVC and called an XEYE or something like that.

Here is an X'EYE, a SEGA GENESIS AND CD in one made by JVC
xeye_mcd_02.jpg

Here are the 3DO's, the first is Panasonics, the second is Goldstars
Panasonic%203DO.jpg
3do.jpg

In each instance, the 3rd party system was made more cheaply with cheaper materials, but the hardware was compatible with any 3do game or with the X'EYE, genesis and sega cd games.

Attachments

• xeye_mcd_02.jpg
    xeye_mcd_02.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Panasonic%203DO.jpg
    Panasonic%203DO.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 3do.jpg
    3do.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 266
holy crap how weird I was just talking with a friend about that X'eye today! We were discussing old and rare systems and how hard some are to come by.

i tihnk it would be a very bad move as long as they arent forced to use 100% the same parts, the big advantage of a console is that you can expect to allways have 100% the same hardware, having different ones only would make developeing more complicated/expensive and also would husrt stability.

When have Microsoft ever been bothered about stability? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back