Good Place For Ebooks.

Lupin

Website
www.ergwow.com
Anyone know a good site that supplies either free or maybe a small monthly fee supply of ebooks for the GP2X or just TXT format really. TIA

Lupin posted on Sep 26 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
Anyone know a good site that supplies either free or maybe a small monthly fee supply of ebooks for the GP2X or just TXT format really. TIA

Well, if you want them for free, that means either obtain them illegaly (not gonna help you with that), or stick to the public domain which contains many classics...

Public domain ebooks can be found at Project Gutenberg.

Then there's some authors that publish their work on the Internet for free as well. Unfortunately, I only know one of them. Fortunately, it's a pretty good author. If you're into cyberpunk, give Cory Doctrow a try.

If others can add to this list, I'd be grateful too, so keep those links coming! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupin posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:13 PM said:

Best commercial site I've found is Fictionwise (www.fictionwise.com). Prices are reasonable but not sure about txt files although you could convert books if you know how, or can use google. Very good if you like science fiction short stories and novels.

Or you could try:
www.memoware.com
www.blackmask.com - seems to be down at the moment but great for pulps
www.archive.org - links to lots of free texts but all legal free.

Or got to del.icio.us and seach on tag ebook will get you quite a few results.

Also Usenet is good for books but as most of usenet binaries is very questionable legality I'll let you look into that for yourself.

Hope that helps

:)

Hmm, fictionwise. Problem there is that some stuff has DRM on it, while other stuff can only be downloaded in proprietary formats. A better choice in this case might be Baen Books.

Keep those links coming! ;)

Nighty posted on Sep 26 2006 at 02:28 PM said:
Hmm, fictionwise. Problem there is that some stuff has DRM on it, while other stuff can only be downloaded in proprietary formats. A better choice in this case might be Baen Books.

Keep those links coming! ;)

DRM is not unbreakable but I generally use pocket pc for reading so not a problem. However I have de-DRMed a few books when I wanted to read them on something else.(gp2x,mobile)

If you like Baen (and I do :D ) then you can get the Baen CDs at http://files.plebian.net/baencd/ which contain whole series of books. They are all legally distributable too, great trashy scifi and very readble but I'm not sure they have anything particularly thought provoking.

Paulo Becker posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
Another good place for cyberpunk is The City of Cyberpunk Angels. Not sure if it's entirely legal though :rolleyes:

Edit: it's not all cyberpunk, there are some classics there as well like Orwell's 1984.

wow, GREAT link, thanks!

the cyberpunk stuff is a soft spot for me ... topic has been hit up before here on the board:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=19733

it's nice finding eBooks/txt scattered around the net but formating them for gp2x is a bit of a bother (not as much as a bother with a python script).

edit i wonder if there is enough interest in our community to start a private book club/library ... it could be pretty barebones (an ftp login/dump) ... or i could set up a web based CMS (content management system) for ebooks so that we could upload formated .txt, tag it with author/title/style, have an exerpt or review ... if anyone's interested in that or a similar way to share pre-formated .txt for gp2x, pm me!

Lupin posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:13 AM said:

Well, if you like old books, try Project Gutenberg. Its website is http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.

rememberthe8bit posted on Sep 27 2006 at 12:10 AM said:
Lupin posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:13 AM said:

Well, if you like old books, try Project Gutenberg. Its website is http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.

As mentioned in post 2 and the files still need the carriage returns removing and the width changing.

It's not hard to remove carriage returns while still preserving paragraphing with some creative search&replace tricks in a hex editor, but this leaves you with a "word-wrap ready" type file, and I'm not sure if the gp2x can do word-wrap.

Back