Good Snes Emu?

Why don't people seem to realize or not want to admit to themselves that the SNES was quite a bit more powerful than the Genesis, and thus, it that much harder to emulate properly, and given that the GP is pretty much at it's limit running DrMD games at full speed with sound, what makes some of you think that you'll be getting the same with SNES? Sure, some games may hit a point where they run near fullspeed with frameskip and sound, but for the most part, you guys are trying to get water from a well that's dry... except for you lucky ones who can overclock your GP's bigtime, 180mhz +, maybe.

hey I'd be just as happy as all of you to have a full speed snes emu with sound, but being realistic it just doesn't seem it is possible. Then again... it's been said before that fullspeed genesis with sound wasn't possible either... so we shall see.

Someone needs to bite the bullet an re-write the rendering routines in a more GP32 friendly way. I'm looking at the rendering code in opensnes at the moment and the code is massive.

I know from experience from DrMD that having large rendering code can really slow things down, I lost 10fps in DrMD by just unwrapping a few loops. I'm putting this down to the instruction cache being reloaded multiple times as the cpu passes through the large section of code.

With my other code, I've kept it all in a tight loop so that even though extra instructions are used to control the loop it is still faster (way faster!) because the instruction cache only needs to be updated the once at the start of the loop.

If no-one has picked this up by the time I've finished DrMD and DrSMS, I'll have a go myself. Won't be for a few months though.

Yeah when I say finished, I mean all the options that people want are implemented and compatibility is very high ( not perfect, but very high ).

I think the main problem with Snes at the moment is that all the emulators seem to derive from Snes9X, which, although an excellent emulator, is built more for compatibility, rather than speed.

What we need is speed over compatibility (but obviously not go too far - try and only drop a few %age of games to start with, say, and maybe find a more optimized way to include them later on).

*Laughs Manicaly*

The problem is that most Devs can not be bothered to take up difficult tasks as there are many other cool easy things to do.

Reesy posted on Feb 2 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
*Looks at Squidge*

:ph34r:

Heh, I think your the man for the task Reesy. After I've been coding for 10+ hours each day at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and start coding again...

Looking at your DrMD, I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever, and it'll be done in about a week or so ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we should expect anything from anyone. Reesy doesn't have unlimited free time either. While I think Reesy is talented enough to make a full speed Xbox emu on the GP32 :p He has done alot as it is so we should be thankful and not bother him. There will be other chances for SNES if it happens great, if not oh well. I think even YoYo has stated that he might look at OSNES GP again after he gets his BLU.

Squidge posted on Feb 2 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
*Looks at Squidge*

Heh, I think your the man for the task Reesy. After I've been coding for 10+ hours each day at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and start coding again...

Oh stop moaning ya big girl, and get on with it. :lol:

Reesy posted on Feb 3 2005 at 10:37 AM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 2 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
*Looks at Squidge*

Oh stop moaning ya big girl, and get on with it. :lol:

what if we all donated lots!!!

pre-emtive donating - it would be like freelancing

if everyone who wants to use it donates £5 say

space :lol:

Back