Got Psp - But Waiting For Craiginator!

Someone forgot to mention that the GP2X uses SD, like every other device I (and most people I know) own, instead of proprietary sony crap that costs more and works in less places (UMD and Memory Stick).

Also, why doesn't someone do some side by side tests of emulators? For speed and graphics quality. I saw videos on youtube comparing SNES emulation on GP2X and NDS years ago, but nothing about PSP.

because psp's firmware is wierd...

anyways yea I can see gp2x making sense in the long run even though specs are 2/3 power of psp...I dare someone to find a way to get this thing running 50 years from now with all the proprietary junk shoved in it but who knows.... :rolleyes:

anyways...for some odd reason no one has done a side by side comparison of gp2x vs psp...

you can look up psp emulations individually on youtube though...

Well, from the play testing have done, that is by no means exhaustive;

MAME: GP2X easily. The port of the GP2X emulator helped things out on the PSP side but it’s still no contest. This was actually the main reason I went ahead and bought the GP2X and well worth it just by itself.
Neo-geo: Pretty close on smaller sized carts, the PSP seems to run the larger ones better.
CPSP2: PSP, but the GP2X runs the games well enough IMO.
SNES: I heard GP2X was supposed to be slightly better, but honestly I have had better compatibility and speed all around running Snes9xTYL me++ the version with speed hacks I am told) on the PSP. But there seem to be some weird exceptions like Donkey Kong Country that run better on the GP2X. I am using PocketSNES on the GP2X side. This seems to be the biggest source of contention on the PSP boards I have been on when the subject of the two systems comes up. Again though, to me the difference seems to depend on the game in question though.

GBA: PSP.
Sega CD: GP2X. Not even possible on PSP as far as I know. This was another selling point on the system. I don’t think the value of Snatcher in my pocket can be overstated.
PSX: PSP, for obvious reasons.
Turbo Grapx 16/ PCE: I would have to give this one to the GP2X myself. I use multiple emulators on both to get certain games running though. For whatever reason, the ghosting on the PSP seems the most pronounced with many of these games/emulators.
Genesis: I would give the slight edge to the GP2X. Even though I have heard many complaints about DGEN on the PSP, I really have only had minor problems with it in some very occasional freezing. Still, in general I tend to pick up the GP2X myself.
Gameboy/Gameboy Color: I prefer the PSP, though it’s as much for the interface on the emulator as anything else. The games seem to run fine on both.
The other emulators like MSX, SCUMMVM, Mastersystem/GG and various Atari systems seem to run well enough on both, but I haven’t really spent enough time with them to really give an opinion worth a damn.

That’s just my 100% laymen’s opinion on the matter. And like I said on the battery issue, I actually prefer the AA use of the GP2X.

The major choice as I see it in the emulation department though is:
PSP: GBA and PSX
Vs.
GP2X: Sega CD and MAME

Has the PSP amiga emu had an update of late? As the GP2X amiga emu was FAR FAR faster the last time I compared them.

craigix said:
Has the PSP amiga emu had an update of late? As the GP2X amiga emu was FAR FAR faster the last time I compared them.

I cant say that I have really played with that end on either. But no, I dont think it has been as I would have likley at least seen it.

*adds amiga to GP2X tally*

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I downloaded the latest Amiga EMU on the PSP and gave it a whirl and was honestly quite disappointed - the speed was very poor in general.

I think we'll be waiting for the Craiginator before we get a really good Amiga EMU - the combination of power and stylus will give the best experience there I think.

I guess the question isn't which is better, but whether it's so much so that it's worth the extra financial investment to get another system.

For my money, I'd have to say no.

Not until you get a system that's powerful enough to blow them both out of the water, hence why I'll persist with the PSP for the moment until the Craig hits.

But I will admit... a solid MAME emu really is a strong drawcard for me. Apart from the NJ emulators (Capcom 1/2, MVS and Neo CD) the MAME emulation on the PSP is still well behind par in my honest opinion. MAME4All is getting better with each tweak, but still obviously a port and very unoptimised. It's always struck me as strange that I can have 100% speed street fighter alpha 2 on the PSP emulated, but can't get a decent 100% speed game of Double Dragon.

meh.

lithium said:
But I will admit... a solid MAME emu really is a strong drawcard for me. Apart from the NJ emulators (Capcom 1/2, MVS and Neo CD) the MAME emulation on the PSP is still well behind par in my honest opinion. MAME4All is getting better with each tweak, but still obviously a port and very unoptimised. It's always struck me as strange that I can have 100% speed street fighter alpha 2 on the PSP emulated, but can't get a decent 100% speed game of Double Dragon.

meh.
Well the CPS2 on the GP2X is full speed with full sound (was actually ported from the NJ emu), as is the NeoGeo MVS emu too. I don't see how much better the PSP could be there especially with the scaling and ghosting. To me the aces that the PSP holds are GBA and PSX. Other than that they are comparable.

Amiga is slow on both though, I tried running on the GP2X and games were very choppy. If you are one of the lucky few GP2X users that can overclock to 300 then it runs well, other than that, meh.

housemonkey said:
Now maybe if I had an MK2 I would change that opinion somewhat, but I still don’t see how it would worsen the PSP screen. And really that’s my only disagreement here. I do not see this compromise in picture quality you are talking about in regards to the emus.
Well yes the GP2X MK2 does have much better color saturation and contrast compared to a MK1, as does a PSP. There are some people (seriously, not a flame) that can't tell the difference in picture quality between a VHS tape and High-def DVD. If you don't see the blurring from the scale filter on a PSP then you are lucky, you can enjoy it.

DaveC said:
How is it "crisper" on the PSP if it is blurred out with the bi-linear filter? Filtering is not "crisper" it is the opposite. There are stretching routeens that, while not as sharp as 1:1, look ok. Unfortunatly bi-linear filtering like used on the PSP for emus is not one of those. It just takes everything and makes fuzzy. I guess they use it because it comes "free" with the hardware and it is easy to use.
I also prefer the PSP to the GP2X. This might just be a personal thing, but eh. PSX emulation is excellent, the emulations are pretty damn good (they might not be "crisp" in your definition, but i prefer the bilinear to jagged edges myself), the music formats are pretty good (wma, mp3, ATRAC3, and i *believe* MP4, but i use MP3 for everything anyway), the video format is lacking (mp4 only?), but this is made up for by having a web browser, RSS, and has the added bonus of playing games that probably cost more to make than the whole GP2x did.

the feel of the unit is solid, and the gp2x i have is sitting on my desk collecting dust, until something epic makes me put it on my SD card and pick up the gp2x again, it's gonna remain there. next to my other "retired" handhelds.

DaveC said:
housemonkey said:
Now maybe if I had an MK2 I would change that opinion somewhat, but I still don’t see how it would worsen the PSP screen. And really that’s my only disagreement here. I do not see this compromise in picture quality you are talking about in regards to the emus.
Well yes the GP2X MK2 does have much better color saturation and contrast compared to a MK1, as does a PSP. There are some people (seriously, not a flame) that can't tell the difference in picture quality between a VHS tape and High-def DVD. If you don't see the blurring from the scale filter on a PSP then you are lucky, you can enjoy it.

DaveC: do you think the PSP Slim has had a screen upgrade? I have a mk2 gp2x and a PSP Slim and the PSP's screen is just simply much better imho. The viewing angle is miles better and where's the washed out blurring??? I'm just not seeing any of the things you mention!

As for Amiga emulation: The PSP emulator hasn't been updated for awhile but Craig, you're talking crap when you say that the GP2X is MUCH better than the PSP version - simply not true! My PSP runs at 333mhz and my GP2X can go up to 300mhz. With those settings the PSP very slightly comes out on top, fps-wise. If the GP2X was faster then believe me, I'd still be using my GP2X now. The games I play, Stunt Car Racer, Supercars 2 and Moonstone are all incredibly playable on the PSP. Perhaps other games work better on the GP2X though I'd be surprised if that's the case.

javaJake said:
Wasn't there an excellent article done recently on GP2X vs. PSP in terms of emulation? Someone did a complete list of consoles and their emulation speeds, etc., on the GP2X and PSP...
Yes, and it was reprinted in GPXile magazine, if you're interested...

The GP2X Amiga emu uses a 100% ASM CPU core and runs rings around the PSP one, it is substantially faster.

Just look at that posted video, it's only at 240mhz with top quality sound!

DaveC said:
MiL0 said:
The screen: Yeah, the GP2X can do better 1:1 nonstetched images but when you stretch an image on the PSP screen is it really that bad? In my opinion, DEFINITELY not! I was expecting the worst after everything DaveC has said and it honestly isn't that bad.
Well I guess you don't mind blurry distorted images with the details all smeared out. Some of us may not like that. I can't see how anyone actually thinks blurry images with reduced contrast/detail actually look good. And after all that stretching and blurring you get an image that is the same size as it is on the GP2X if you keep the aspect correct, it isn't even bigger. The PSP is a good system for 3D, but emulators on it look like shit. I have a PSP too and tried all of those you mentioned except PSX. The blurry screen due to the stretching is bad enough, then the image moves and many of the colors leave trails and shift hue, at least on the old version PSP, ick! While the viewing angle on the GP2X is more fidgety, The PSP screen is no gem either ;)

I just bought a slim silver daxter pack psp abount month ago when they came out here in the usa, and i'm running 3.71 m33 and I use it for regular umd's psp games and use it for playing playstation 1 games currenlty playing sypon filter 2 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night basically gonna play all the ps1 games I never beat back in the days. The psp play ps1 games basically 100% perfect.

Now I used to owned a gp2x mk1 not the first edition, couple heres ago and it was awesome but sold it along with couple other things and a black psp to build a new gaming pc. Then within the last 2-3 months I had a gp2xmk2 and mk1. Well sold the mk2 after a week causing the stupid viewing angle screen sucked for me couldnt enjoy gaming while trying to hold it at a certain angle, and I agree about seems like they put the screen upside the viewing angle was reversed. after the ml2 got a mk1 and it was enjoyable the viewing angle was great but it ate up batterys within 15 minutes, after countless troubleshooting tryiing to fix it I gave up and sold it.

I'm now looking to buy a gp2x mk1 just to playmame and all those consoles except psx I'll use the psp for that, becuase even the new slim psp's lcd screens still ghost the response time is high. I feel I can use the gp2x mk1 for emulators and the psp for umd games and psx games, as 3d games dont show the ghosting effect to much as side scrolling type games.

MiL0 said:
DaveC said:
housemonkey said:

DaveC: do you think the PSP Slim has had a screen upgrade? I have a mk2 gp2x and a PSP Slim and the PSP's screen is just simply much better imho. The viewing angle is miles better and where's the washed out blurring??? I'm just not seeing any of the things you mention!

As for Amiga emulation: The PSP emulator hasn't been updated for awhile but Craig, you're talking crap when you say that the GP2X is MUCH better than the PSP version - simply not true! My PSP runs at 333mhz and my GP2X can go up to 300mhz. With those settings the PSP very slightly comes out on top, fps-wise. If the GP2X was faster then believe me, I'd still be using my GP2X now. The games I play, Stunt Car Racer, Supercars 2 and Moonstone are all incredibly playable on the PSP. Perhaps other games work better on the GP2X though I'd be surprised if that's the case.

I have a slim psp to and yes theres ghosting on it still like the older black ones. Run mame and load up the arcade game BAD DUDES and just look at the background and the character you are playing while moving and you'll see some ghosting, blurring, trailing effects. you'll see it mostly on dark color type games especially side scrolling games like games in the sega genesis. In colorful games and bright games you'll hardly see it. I dont know how sony improved the lcd screen its not as bad as the old black psps but still there.

argor said:
gp2x and psp in Amiga emulator gp2x is faster

Poor comparison. The same game (with identical settings like FS, sample rate, etc) on both systems should be compared if you are going to guage performance. This is like comparing Super Mario 3 on GP2X and Axelay on PSP and saying that SNES on the GP2X performs better ;)

DaveC said:
Amiga is slow on both though, I tried running on the GP2X and games were very choppy. If you are one of the lucky few GP2X users that can overclock to 300 then it runs well, other than that, meh.

Actually 250-270 seems to be the overclock range that makes the Amiga emu really shine and most gp2xers can go to 250. pspuae is actively developed and has more features such as save states etc, while uae4all is faster and has better sound but is abandoned. :(

Iorgy77 said:
DaveC said:

Actually 250-270 seems to be the overclock range that makes the Amiga emu really shine and most gp2xers can go to 250. pspuae is actively developed and has more features such as save states etc, while uae4all is faster and has better sound but is abandoned. :(

Well yeah mine didn't make the cut though. At 240 MHZ it is pretty unplayable.

Really Dave? You are saying that posted video of T2 running with 44khz sound is unplayable?

I wish you would stop saying things like that. Your comments like that lead people to assume things are unplayable on the GP2X when infact, as the video shows, it is perfectly playable.

Uh...

Just because we are on the subject, what would be a couple good Amiga games to start with if you were unfamiliar with the system?

If no one minds shooting a recommendation…

Back