Gp2x: A Linux-based Gaming And Multimedia Handheld

Scracth that Draken, something must be wrong with my PC, mines at work shows the review...yes..yes..I know, use firefox IE is unreliable..

That review says the the 2X' is twice as powerful as a DS in terms of processing power. I don't think so...
It depends on your maths.

In terms of processing, the NDS has 66Mhz and 33Mhz CPUs.
The GP2x has 200Mhz and 200Mhz CPUs.

I'm not really sure how much parallel use of CPUs the NDS can actually accomplish (if any?), whereas we know that using both CPU's on the GP2X, whilst not impossible, is quite often unused.

There are of course other factors to processing power than just CPU speed - size and speed of RAM, and size and speed of cache are also critical factors.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
That review says the the 2X' is twice as powerful as a DS in terms of processing power. I don't think so...
It depends on your maths.

In terms of processing, the NDS has 66Mhz and 33Mhz CPUs.
The GP2x has 200Mhz and 200Mhz CPUs.

I'm not really sure how much parallel use of CPUs the NDS can actually accomplish (if any?), whereas we know that using both CPU's on the GP2X, whilst not impossible, is quite often unused.

There are of course other factors to processing power than just CPU speed - size and speed of RAM, and size and speed of cache are also critical factors.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess?

I may be wrong but surely the fact that the nds has whole companies working on games would mean they can get more performance out of what ithe nds has than 1 person coding at home for a gp2x. No offence intended.

I'm not really sure how much parallel use of CPUs the NDS can actually accomplish (if any?)

Commercial DS developers can only use the ARM9. They are forced to use an ARM7 binary created by Nintendo that handles audio, input, networking, etc to ensure compatibility with the Nintendo WFC. So the 33 MHz ARM7 can't really be taken into account when comparing power.

Back