[gp2x] Abduction

kevcal

Coding " Abduction;Retrieval "
Website
homepage.ntlworld.com
abdad.png

They're back...

Well I started this well over a year ago and had 6 months off due to work commitments.. (still ongoing).
Thought I'd never release it, but here it is - hopefully it's enjoyable for a quick blast (20 Levels).

I've taken Eugene Jarvis's arcade games as inspiration, so expect some very frenetic blasting in later levels
:)
I'm sure improvements can be made - I have ideas to take the project further but they'll have to wait for another time.

Thanks to Mr Lou for his music.

Controls are redefinable, music/sfx may be turned off, every button does something in-game - try them and see :ph34r: and watch the top right corner for info on shield, humans left, etc etc.

DOWNLOAD ABDUCTION

Enjoy, hopefully.

Kevcal

Finally! Thanks for the release. I like the ship design and scrolling. Also the music is very addictive. I hope you find time to advance the game further.

[Edit:]

Added to Archive and added some screenshots.

abduction1.png
abduction2.png

Regards,
Stephan

Great game! I've only played it for a few minutes so far, but I'm liking it lots. It reminds me of scooting around the planet surfaces in Star Control 2, but with updated quasi-3D depth and cool air-sliding physics. pew pew pew PEW PEW!

The volume buttons don't work - is that intentional? I found the in-menu controls, which are a good feature, but being able to bash it down quickly when it first loads would be nice. Bloody F200s.

I also had trouble customising controls from the in-game menu. I didn't intend to change them, I just popped in for a look. I thought it didn't respond, but it was just being really sluggish. Then my attempts at exiting the menu ended up a confusing farce of unwanted button assigning :lol: ...it seemed very laggy in responding, I ended up power cycling to get out of it.

Menu panic aside though, it's a game I'll get some mileage out of. Thanks. :)

Found a bit of time to post..

Cheers to all for the posts/comments/interest :)

Volume buttons in-game change laser configuration - less beams, more points per kill.
Config took me 'too long' to write and it's still not too great :( Seems to work okay on my F100..

Basic buttons work best anyway (imho).

Here's a summary of stuff ........

** FRONT SCREEN

UP/DOWN - change start level (up to level you've reached)
SELECT - Config Menu
START - Start Game

CONFIG MENU:
UP/DOWN - choose Effects Volume/Music Volume/Control Setup
VOLUME: LEFT/RIGHT when VOLUME selected, increase/decrease volume.
CONTROLS: Press SELECT to access
START BUTTON (HOME?) to EXIT CONFIG MENU

CONTROL SETUP:
Press SELECT to change button setup: rolls through controls, press required button to set.
Press SELECT on SAVE SETTINGS to write 'volumes' and 'control setup' to SD-Card.

** IN GAME (DEFAULT SETUP)

SELECT: pause and access CONFIG MENU
START: unused
A: FIRE
B: SHIELD (white bar above radar gives info - pink bar is humanoids left)
Y: HYPERSPACE (unlimited but needs recharge time)
X: THRUST
L: HYPERSPACE
R: SMART BOMB

JOYPAD:
UP - THRUST
DOWN - SLOW
LEFT/RIGHT - ROTATE

Protect your HUMANOIDs, the LANDERs will attempt to drag them off and mutate.
Once they're all gone, it's off into space for you until the HUMANOIDs replenish...
But you won't be lonely, you'll get plenty of fast MUTANTs to keep you company!

You can hit the HUMANOIDs when a carried by a LANDER, so be accurate with your shots..

PODs - smart-bomb more than one on the screen and they're history.. hit them with your laser and you'll get PODLETs chasing you.
UFO's - appear if you take too long.
BITs - need a fair few shots to kill.
MUTANTs - become tougher(!) in later levels.

Survival wave every 5(?) waves; no smart bombs, no shields, just your lasers and your wits and points increasing..

I'm sure there's a boss guy who visits from time to time (pre-survival wave?) and some other things I've forgotten.. ;)

Out of interest I usually play at around level 8 - it gets busier and more difficult around there.

Cheers again for the interest; enjoy the particles - pity they're your ship exploding :)

Kev

Looks great and I can't wait to download it and giving it a whirl! My GP2X is at home and I'll be returning in about 8 hours. The missus deprives me of it when we see the in-laws. :(

Very nice game! You might want to mention that it is effectively Defender in 3D (you did mention Eugene Jarvis)...

Could I make a coupe of suggestions - the background is quite 'light' and makes it harder to see the landers. Any chance of something slightly darker?

Also - how about an option to keep your ship in the center of the radar - it's quite hard to work out which pixel is yours at time...

Great game though - nice work!

Great! I'll take all comments, etc on board :)
Sbock said on the archive it's like a c ross between defender & robotron - I thought a mix of defender (mainly) and asteroids.

Re the radar, yeah, that's an easy change - will look into that; only problem is the radar would have to grow in size so you can see all humanoids (or maybe I'll just 'stick them' to the edges when 'off-radar'.

I kept messing with the background contrast/etc - but I'll have another look at it :) Didn't know the differences there may be between F100/F200s wrt brightness.. Maybe I could add a background brightness control?

I had bigger plans, but time as always became a problem.. and I thought if I don't release it now, I'll never finish(!).
Had planned to have a much larger play area and terrain the sprites would interact with; maybe version 2.......

Will try to free up some lunchtimes at work and update things some time soon (4 software project releases due the next couple of months :( ).

@Tag5 - I know how it is - I have difficulty finding time to do anything for myself nowadays.

cool game. classic style. only problem I had was that I couldn't find a way to exit back to gp2x menu. I tried both volume buttons on title screen and almost seemed to work but just left me with a blank screen.

Exit the game? Wyy would you want to do that? :)
Will look into it; I remember I had problems and maybe I didn't complete it...
( Got a feeling I may have removed the exit option(?!) in my frustration )

edit: Mmm... quite a few people have downloaded; with the posts here as well... Now that's renewed my interest in improvements and adding stuff :)

Finally downloaded it and played this game. Well I'm enjoying it totally, just noticed that no Exit/Quit option to get back to the main GP2X menu. Kevkal does not want you to leave! :lol: LOL

I just had a blast on this. Yeah very good game... Good blast.

My initial observation would be the volume buttons as you mentioned. On my F200 it nearly blew my ear drums out! :lol: . Although you can change it in the menu which is cool.

Good stuff.

kevcal said:
If I had time I'd promise to port allegro to pandora and you could play it on that :)
Didn't realize it used Allegro. Maybe I'll try getting it to build and run inside the Mame cabinet. Now that would rock. B)

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back