The Shotty Level Editor, Version .000001

authoreyes

Website
www.markandmarina.com
All,

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the dev corner or here. It's a release of an app, so I guess I could throw it in general.

Anywhoo, I am the guy working on the Pandora 2D Castlevania homage. I have gotten to the point where I needed a tool to make levels, so I whipped up this app...here is the tag line:

This is a java-based application/tool used for generating tilesets and datafiles that can be imported into tile mapping engines. It will allow you take load in image files, assign properties to the brushes, and "paint" a level to be exported. This can be any arbitrary sized map, and upon ripping it will compress the image into unique 16 x 16 tiles in photo strip format.

I developed this to work in conjunction with the current game I am developing for the Pandora (but doesn't require my C++ game. Could work with anything that can handle the input). Since the rendering code, event handling, etc is mostly done for the game, time has come that I develop some tools for actually building the levels. Hence, this quick app was whipped up over the last week during off hours. It works well for my purposes, but there are still many todo's like undo/copy/paste functionality. It is open source, so if anyone wants to mess around/improve it, please feel free.

No idea if anyone has any interest, but if you do, it's up on my site at www.markandmarina.com. There is a link to the jar file, the source code, and a video tutorial if anyone wants to see how to use it. Hopefully maybe someone can make use of this. It was whipped up in about a week at random hours, so please don't expect commercial quality :)

Back