Did You Play Bombz? Did You Beat The Level?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
("The level", since really, the current BombZ is comprised of one large level, and some demo little levels, depending which fork in the road you take.)

Did anyone actually try and play through the large level BombZ includes? Anyone beat it? (It is very beatable.. I've whipped it on PC, Zodiac, Palm, and GP32, to make sure its easily done :)

If you did play the level (and hopefully beat it..), then answer me this..

1) What do you think of the look? (The artwork was swiped from Time Bandits for Atari ST/Amiga; though I didn't use the right direciton of walls most of the time, just using a few wall tiles to get it done faster.) (I might make a map editor to make editting the layouts easier wink.gif

2) What did you think of the gameplay? ie: Running around, doing some shooting or bombing, nabbing keys and hopping out the exit?

3) Was it fun at all?

4) Or are simple old school games of no value to anyone anymore? :)

5) Yeah, I know it needs music :)

Curious to know what you think, since time is ever-tight :)

jeff

(posted this originally to ZG and forgot to post here; it equally applies to the GP32 version :)

("The level", since really, the current BombZ is comprised of one large level, and some demo little levels, depending which fork in the road you take.)

Did anyone actually try and play through the large level BombZ includes? Anyone beat it? (It is very beatable.. I've whipped it on PC, Zodiac, Palm, and GP32, to make sure its easily done :)

If you did play the level (and hopefully beat it..), then answer me this..

1) What do you think of the look? (The artwork was swiped from Time Bandits for Atari ST/Amiga; though I didn't use the right direciton of walls most of the time, just using a few wall tiles to get it done faster.) (I might make a map editor to make editting the layouts easier wink.gif

2) What did you think of the gameplay? ie: Running around, doing some shooting or bombing, nabbing keys and hopping out the exit?

3) Was it fun at all?

jeff

(posted this originally to ZG and forgot to post here; it equally applies to the GP32 version :)

It was decent, but honestly it was kind of framey on the GP32, I haven't tried it on the other systems though. It had some cool concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some comments on what I thought, please don't take it the wrong way I'm just trying to be honest!!

The look is fine it's nice seeing a large portion of the play area on the screen, and time bandits graphics was a nice choice ;)

Nice and varied, although I never got past the bug maze, it's quite frustrating chasing them, laying a bomb, then they run away and miss it, I guess I need more practise though. It's pretty smooth and fast but sometimes it seems to "skip" a frame or two like when you shoot something and don't see the bullet, and when you die the screen goes dark and you can't see whats actually happened. Also a big problem is when you pick up an item some text flashes on the screen for a split second, too fast to read!

3) Was it fun at all?
I like it but bomberman never was one of my favorites so it's not groundbreaking for me

get outta town....

I have to admit it's kind of souless without some kind of music

First, it's bloody annoying when it reboots your GP once you die, hows about a title screen? Also when you die or complete a room, can you give a pause or maybe a dialog box to tell you so, or it just flicks to the restart position.

Music definately will add a lot to the game in terms of presentation, as will a title screen, it's always worth prettying up a game to enhance appeal! I think maybe people saw it as a kind of tech demo for zot rather than a standalone game.

Lastly, I find the bit with the vision restriction circle too hard, maybe it's because it's too dark on my FLU? and why do the baddies turn into rocks when you kill em -_-

EDIT: oh and how about a highscore table?

(Not sure what "framey" means; its full screen..)

All good comments, thanks :)

The timer is a little borked yet, so on GP32 some things just flick by, while other systems they go by slower. (ie: Thats why you don't see the messages right.)

I do have to make it so when you die it goes to highscore and then allow you to restart; first I need to finish up some cute little GUI system (dialog boxes and such). Good idea.

The darkness effect is pretty cool I think, though it definately needs to be used carefully.. more for stealth levels and such; that means you went into the demo levels for testing things; the other path has the one-big-level thats more fun (imho :)

As to bomberman.. I tried to make it so you can play either wya; in the big level you start with bombs, but 1/3rd of the way through (once you know where to go :) you can get the weapon so you can shoot, then its much more like Time Bandits (etc).

I've considered just making it so you shoot faster, and run a bit faster, and then just drop the bomberman-ness..

jeff

Oh sorry, "framey" means a slightly choppy framerate, not smooth animation scrolling etc.

I did like your ideas though, like the darkness thing. If people want an exact copy of Bomberman, just play Bomberman on one of the emus ;) I liked the differences.

I'd love it if you added in Kangaroos and stuff. This was a feature added to the Bomberman games not seen in the West and meant you could bounce all over the place. :)

Also I can't remember if this version has the random events skull - one of the best events is when you randomly squit bombs all over the place.

Thanks for posting about it, its rekindled my interest greatly (and I'm extemely bored at work)

1 - Looks great. Maybe an original lead character would be the finishing touch?

2 - I enjoyed it, but the open level design can be frustrating at times when you're having trouble cornering an enemy with bombs. Providing the player with the gun from the offset might help.

3 - It was fun :D

4 - We're GP32 owners, of course we love old school games! :p

5 - Didn't actually notice! Probably too concerned with trying to kill those damn little thingys...

Back