Zot030 Bombz First Levels

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Still busily working on Bombz; its coming together pretty well, though I've still not added audio.

I've added a couple simple levels (3 so far), and incorporated some ideas (like easier cornering so you don't get caught up as easily), and added powerups, and all sorts of goodness :)

See if you can beat the 3 levels ;)

Let me know your thouhts.. if this is fun, or if it sucks and why.

http://www.codejedi.com/bombz/binaries/zotgp030bombz.zip

jeff

Very nice, I like the differant modes you use, like the lighting. Can't beat level 3 yet though.

The ZOT engine seems very good, I think I'm going to try and use it to make some test games.

The engine is getting pretty good alright, though not good at everything; it: Its not a general purpose programming language, thjough I've started workign on exteions for that.. its goal is to be relatively simple to make the kidsn of games its good at, while still having some expressability and flexibilty.

I've not put the current runtime dev module on the website or updated the docs .. its moving a lot right now, so once bombz is a little more done, I'll update the site and work on the docs.

The new engine will mostly run configs from the older ones, but I've done lots of refinements to make writing the configs much shorter and simpler than before, so best to hold on until I post the new dev version.

ie:

For triggers and actions, you used to have to define them very separately..

# hurt player when he runs into knight

action-group 10
post-message "hahaha" 5
variable-add _player_health 10
action-group end

trigger 27
when-impact player knight
action action-group 10
trigger-end

Thats a whole lot of verbiage and numbering to remember and get right and maintain.

Nowadays its like this..

# hurt player when he runs into knight
trigger *
when-impact player knight
action post-message "hahaha" 5
action variable-add _player_health 10
trigger end

So now you needn't name/number the blocks anymore, and you can bundle multiple actions into as trigger without making a group. (it makes the action group for you, with a random number for its name.)

These sorts of engine changes make writing levels a heck of a lot more understandable I think..

jeff

Seems interesting, think I will mess around with the current version, just to get my head around it all, then when you update it I will *try* to make something half enjoyable.

It seems a shame to me that an engine like this gets looked over alot, it seems to have great potential.

Keep up the good work :)

As you can see its pretty handy at creating simple RPGs or action games or the like; the last public dev stuff on the site is relatively useful .. ie: See the GBAX entry version, which has some text menus and basic combat in place.

jeff

Back