Gp2x As Car-pc/media Center?

ViperKnight

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting myself a GP2X soon (probably the F200) and I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried using it as a Car-PC before?

Sounds like it'd work perfectly to me. I'm sure it'd be easy to find (or make, if necessary) a cigarette lighter->GP2X power converter.

Music could use the phones output to the car stereo and you could mount the unit somewhere on the dash to watch movies with. Or use the TV-out to go to another screen. But using the unit's screen itself with the touchscreen would be handy....specially when driving.

Better yet, use the docking cradle to plug in a few controllers and you've got a portable console in your car too :D

So...anybody considered this?

Yeah, it completely makes sense actually, especially with the SDHC cards (16, and soon 32 GO).
It is not too hard to configure the GP2X to start directly on the media player.

However, you have to be aware that the GP2X is a bit slow on startup.

Well....I don't intend on leaving my GP2X permanently in the car. Which is where the beauty of a mounted docking cradle comes in :D

That way I could just switch it on, on the way to the car, chuck it in the dock, plug in the cables and I'm all good to go. That then gets around the long load time.

You are thinking of connecting an external power supply while you have recharged bateries in? I guess this might fry it (or at leastt that is what I heard)...

Wha....you can't plug it in while batteries are in it?

Surely GPH knows how to switch power-sources when the power supply is plugged in?

Isn't that what people are saying about the unit turning off and on again whenever they plug power in?

sehs33 said:
You are thinking of connecting an external power supply while you have recharged bateries in? I guess this might fry it (or at leastt that is what I heard)...
This is wrong. You are able to plug in an external power adapter while the batteries are in. The act of physically plugging in the adapter cuts the power circuit from the batteries though. You can not "hot swap" from batteries to external power or vice versa. So, there should be no difference between using an external power supply with or without batteries in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the GP2X as a music player in my old bmw until the crash. This is exactly what i wrote craigamp for.

I'm planning on using either the GP2X or the EEE PC in my current project, a '68 cadillac eldorado. I like the way using these systems allows you huge potential freedom in how your entertainment system works, you can tweak it to perfection.

craigix said:
I used the GP2X as a music player in my old bmw until the crash. This is exactly what i wrote craigamp for.

I'm planning on using either the GP2X or the EEE PC in my current project, a '68 cadillac eldorado. I like the way using these systems allows you huge potential freedom in how your entertainment system works, you can tweak it to perfection.
What!? No Craiginator in your car? For shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back