Gp2x Community Game Contest - Games Ready To Download!

gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
My little roundup of all 11 games:

Bare Fist Fighter - Extremely impressive Punch Out!! style game with sumptuous animation. Gameplay is reasonably simple in that you can't move around, only control your blows--but in a way that makes it a more complex fighter). It's a genuine challenge, too. In the end, it's more of a reaction game than anything, but that doesn't make it any less fun. 8/10

Thanks for the kind review I spent so much time on this game making all of the animations I just hope that eveyone who plays it get some fun out of it. :D I am working on the Extreme version of the game now that lets you pick from 3 different charaters as the main character and 15 opponets and 3 different bonus games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work everyone.

Goity - the style of the characters and the premise of such rugrat racing makes me smile everytime I play this. The music is wicked too. Puts me in the mood to kick some ass on the track!

Nagelfar - Laser2x is a nice puzzle type game. Love the look of it and it's a lot of fun to play. I've noticed that the first time I try to play a game after turning my GP2X on, when I hit "start" to activate the laser in the first level for the first time, the game cancels out and i'm back in gmenu. When I enter the game again and play and hit start to activate the laser the first time again, it works. This is consistently happening (doesn't work the first time I load the program, works the second time - let me know if this description of the problem doesn't make sense). Also in the third level, If I decide to put some (sand?) in front of the laser just to mix it up a bit, the game freezes. I'm not a programmer but because this is written in java, does this mean that to play the game we have to browse for the properties file after loading the .gpe?

Guyfawkes - the problem that i was having with squares not running was not that i couldn't change the music directory in the config file (didn't need to, it was already playing the music) but that the controls don't seem to work and i'm stuck on the main menu (while my music is playing fine). I have my music organized in folders within my audio folder. I also have quite a few songs in that directory and if it's scanning all of them, could it be freezing the rest of the game because of that? I'm confused. This game, from the preview video that was released not long ago, looks like a lot of fun.

Alex - Airplyr brings me back to the days growing up playing air hockey at home ... ahh the beloved smacking of the puck to screw your opponent (and sometimes yourself). The nice thing about this game is the much lower number of flying pucks whizzing by your head after a smack! I'll be spending some time on this game and it will have a secure spot on my SD card.

Imerion - Altitude is frustrating (in a good way). I have that feeling every time I hit something, that the NEXT time, I won't make that mistake... and then i do. The feel of this game is great! I like the degree of gravity and the smoothness of the controls. It's also a nice clean design. Cheers.

prairiefire posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:35 AM said:
Nagelfar - Laser2x is a nice puzzle type game. Love the look of it and it's a lot of fun to play. I've noticed that the first time I try to play a game after turning my GP2X on, when I hit "start" to activate the laser in the first level for the first time, the game cancels out and i'm back in gmenu. When I enter the game again and play and hit start to activate the laser the first time again, it works. This is consistently happening (doesn't work the first time I load the program, works the second time - let me know if this description of the problem doesn't make sense). Also in the third level, If I decide to put some (sand?) in front of the laser just to mix it up a bit, the game freezes. I'm not a programmer but because this is written in java, does this mean that to play the game we have to browse for the properties file after loading the .gpe?
Thx for the good reviews everyone, keep them coming, that is what we develop for (and winning of course)!
To the poster who doesn't want the JAVA runtime in the root of his card: its still an early release, I think Fungostar is already working on it. Please don't let this influence your opinion about Laser2x, though.

About the game quitting on first try: Yeah, that happens sometimes, I noticed it helped when you wait for a bit before pressing Start the first time, haven't had time to bugfix yet.

About the sand: thx, I will look into it.

And yeah, you have to browse for the properties file to start the game. Fungo is working on implementing direct linking so there is no need to browse anymore.

Just had a quick run through of these and my personal potential favourite is the hypnotic grow. I think with a bit more simple development (scoring, obstacles, maybe speedup/slowdown bonuses etc) this could be a game of spout-like addictiveness!
After some troubles, I also got squares running and it's a cracker. :D

Good work guys! I'll be playing a lot more (week off sick)...

Goity, in the 150cc class, final trophy: I notice if i touch the sides of the track, i get reset to the beginning of the course. Is this a bug or by design? (I hope not by design.. i'll never beat the game) :)

prairiefire posted on Dec 19 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
Goity, in the 150cc class, final trophy: I notice if i touch the sides of the track, i get reset to the beginning of the course. Is this a bug or by design? (I hope not by design.. i'll never beat the game) :)
By design :p. You get taken back to the beginning, but your lapcount remains.

a bug has been found in Squares for linux users when editing the path in mediasettings.dat. your editor may add a new line after the path which will result in the game not scanning for music or crashing when it enters the game.

you can fix this by trying to remove the newline with another editor or use a new copy of mediasettings.dat from the zipfile and renaming the folder on your sd card to /mnt/sd/audio.

i will work on a fix tonight and release a new version tonight or tomorrow.

why not have it when you first launch the game, to select a dir for music or something?

I ran out of time to add a file browser, its planned for the next proper release probably in the new year once christmas is out the way. In the meantime I will fix the above bug and one other bug I just found when testing with someone else and will release an update tomorrow.

Yes, that would be great. I put Squares on my card right before I left home the other day, but I didn't know about the sound thing, so I couldent play it until I got home to change the file.

Nice work everyone! Many good games here!

And thanks for all nice comments about my game, Altitude.
I realised now, that it might be a bit too hard. Since I have played it through so many times when testing it, I have gotten used to it so I might not realise how hard it is. :) But there will be some tweaks in the final version. Btw, has anyone tried the two player mode in it? If so, did you find it playable or was it hard to distinguish which ship was which?

new version of squares is out (see news on the front page). it should hopefully fix the problems some people have been having getting the game to run. if you have any problems please reply in the release news topic instead of here and I will try and sort it out.

i wanted to post a summary of my favorite games which i may do later.

for airplyr the .gpe file didn't seem to work but i read it and it pointed to the first .dat file so i just used gmenu2x to launch that .dat file and added the option to use a wrapper so that after i quit it will return to the menu.

should just be some simple editing with the script though. i just didnt notice what was wrong with it.

ok here is my summary of my favorites:

airplyr: great air hockey game with fun tournament mode that keeps track of your record. nice music and graphics. the .gpe file didn't seem to work though as posted above. also i would love to either have variable goal sizes and variable puck speeds added as either a separate option or something that is integrated into the different tables. also more opponents would be nice. overall great game and one that i keep coming back too. the AI is well done too

bare fist fighter: i thought this might be my favorite game before i even played it and i was right. really nice graphics and animation and fun punch out style gameplay. the patterns arent quite as obvious as punch out though and the overall feel is actually more dynamic which i like. only thing i would add/change in this version is maybe a chance to save where you are at and also a new announcer voice. can't wait for the extreme version of the game. i already loved this game so that should be great

squares: very nice remake of the flash game. already have it as part of the minigame project but this version is more complete with a highscore list with name and a whole new extended mode which i would love to see completed. the media player is very cool too and should be even better when it is finished. i had some flickering problem and it would be nice to make the volume a bit louder. overall lots of fun and high replay value.

altitude: very fun and very hard. i looked at this and grow and hoped at least one would give me a nice sfcave clone. this is actually fairly different but still damn good. the different powerups are quite cool too. ive only gotten as far as where the thruster powerup is on the first level so i havent done too well at this though i enjoyed it. nice to here that you should be maker it a little easier.

laser2x: first off cool to see someone using java on the gp2x. these games are generally frustrating for me but this game is still cool and has nice graphics and skins. seems to have some crash problems and a bit tricky to set up but still well designed and a lot of fun though these types of games i usually stay away from

and one game i hope gets better and gets continued development:

grow: looked like sfcave from the screenshot but seems different in that you can control both up and down and have a split move. this game would be a lot of fun but is very unfinished. first off splitting has no purpose at this point even though the author already acknowledged that. the idea of enveloping power ups sounds pretty cool and would like to see that implemented. my biggest problem is that there are no real obstacles and even worse no score tracking at all much less a high score table. so overall wasn't able to enjoy this one too much but i could see myself being addicted to it if it got developed further and became more complete.

off topic: anyone know of any sfcave ports for gp2x or any pd roms of ports of the game for emulators that i can play on the gp2x? would also be good for my pd rom site. pm me or include a quick mention in your post so as not to get too off topic.

The volume in Squares is the highest it should be able to go. The problem might be that some mp3/ogg are at a lower recorded volume, I had this problem when testing the games as some were lower than others. Check in the settings to be sure the volume is set to the highest (10).

Thanks for the comments on the game, good to see everyone is enjoying it!

jbrodack posted on Dec 20 2006 at 09:41 AM said:
laser2x: first off cool to see someone using java on the gp2x. these games are generally frustrating for me but this game is still cool and has nice graphics and skins. seems to have some crash problems and a bit tricky to set up but still well designed and a lot of fun though these types of games i usually stay away from
Glad you like it, one thing though, copying 2 folders to your SD card is a tricky install?

Back