Gp2x Contest Winner! Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles By Yuan Work

A r K your game should of won 1st place, visual novels is very noobish in my opinion ...

A r K your game should of won 1st place in my opinion, I havent seen the visual novel game yet but im a puzzle game fan, visual novel to me just means boredom

No I don`t think so.
You don`t know the novel how could you say this game is better?
And im trust gph to choose the right game for the first place (if english ;) )
gratulations ARK your game look awesome
any dates for the demo?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm looks very fun (huge puzzle game fan) so i definatly wouldnt mind paying for it, and yeah any date for the demo release? (cause i want to play this!)

Thank you again.

We still don't know the price range, but if it is a download-play, it will most likely be around US $10-$15, which in my opinion is very reasonable. We still haven't talked about making SD cards (which I would prefer) but we believe that keeping the price low is VERY important :) we all payed a good sum for the GP2X! Remember that we will probably have the sales contract with GPH, so it really depends on them, but if you check their Korean website, all of their games are 10,000 Won, which is $10 (from download).

I'm a big puzzle fan too (obviously hehe) and both casual and hardcore gamers can get alot of fun out of it. I'm busy with college projects, and I believe we will first launch the demo around December 1st.

These are all tentative issues, the game engine is almost done :) about 90%. I guess if people come to my house to kill me we'll be releasing a demo sooner!

(I'm just kidding btw, please don't kill me, but I will try to have the demo ready ASAP!)

Thanks,

-- YuanHao

Hello, everyone.

My name is Yuan-Hsi Chiang and I'm in charge of the artistic and design department at Yuan Works.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for all the great feedback; it is the opinion of the GP2X community the one that matters most to us.

We're very happy that for the most part, we've heard possitive comments. They are enormously appreciated by us.

Yes, we aren't exactly the happiest with the contest results, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of graphic novel that was so to snatch the first place so firmly. Thank you for all your support.

Of course, ALSO equally as welcome are the critiques made towards our game. We really like to hear your opinion.

crimsonnight: Don't worry, we will try to keep the price as accessible as we can. We'll try to have a demo ready soon so you can judge for yourself if you like our game.

A_SN:Thank you very much for your comments. Yes my friend, I would agree with you that our game doesn't use the full capacities of the GP2X. But Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles is pretty much a first generation game on the console's life-span. Remember the old days with the Famicom/NES, SFamicom/SNES, MegaDrive/Genesis, Playstation, and all others? They didn't start getting sofware that would really show the potential of each respective console until much later when more software was available.

Also, we have worked on the GameBoy Advance. Not homebrew, but professionally as contract work for game developers. We know pretty much the strenghts and weakenesses of the console, and I assure you, my friend, we DO NOT think the GP2X is a big GameBoy.

Also, anyone familiar with puzzle battles games with complex engines (not that many, I'm affraid) probably know the all time greats like Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack. The SFamicom/SNES game had a lot of slowdown and clumsiness because the CPU tried to calculate the matches (I don't mean it isn't great, though). The GameBoy Advance version is MUCH clumsier and feels a little bit jerky for experienced players. And it was done by a professional Japanese company.

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles simply cannot be made for the GBA the way it runs on GP2X. It has a MUCH more complex engine (we're not saying it's better, but it's immensely more complex); you can read a little bit about how it works in our website. The graphics are arcade quality since the resolution is so good, each character has over 100 frames of animation, there are over 40 or 50 different sounds playing during matches, as well as streamed audio and, if you're playing against the computer, advanced AI. The special effects are animated traditionally, like they were done on the NeoGeo MVS system. Our game doesn't drop frames, doesn't load, and saves your battery time. And our code is pretty clean.

We wrote this so that you don't think that we are not serious about the GP2X, on the contrary, we are planning to work on bigger projects with GamePark Holdings to try to see it's capabilities to the limit. Thanks again for your opinion.

JUSTiNB: Thank you for your feedback, it is a GREAT compliment. That's exactly the kind of quality we sought to achieve. About the music, we're sorry that some of it is not to your liking, but many of it comes from the Yuan Works characters that are in the game, and many of these were RPGs. But don't worry, there are more upbeat tunes for people like you, and we hope you will like them! Well, the soundtrack right now is over 20 songs, so we might hit the spot with at least one!

To everyone: Thank you for your time and support, it is very encouraging that the people who matter the most, the GP2X community are so receptive towards us. Reading comments like "you deserve 1st price", and "nice and polished game" really make working so hard on developing games worth all the trouble. After all, they are meant for you guys to have fun!

Best regards

Yuan

I like your attitude towards the price :p and i will definatly be buying it if it is around $10.00. I dont really see the point of putting it on an SD card unless the game is a large size... Anyway, keep up the good work and I can't wait for it to be released ^_^

[shameless plug]Well for everyone that still is hoping for more stuff, wait for the community contest :)[/shameless plug]

Worst contest ever.

The concept of paying out a prize is to open source the bastard. The official contest was doomed from the get go, and the winner just proves it.
Sorry, i don´t understand a single word. And how do you know the winner of the contest? Has it been announced already?
The contest winners have been announced, check the General board (no 2nd place prize was given for some reason). The official contest had strange badly-worded rules that nobody really liked. The winner was a visual novel.
Ah, i see. Now i get it. Really a shame, GPH seems to have no clue again.

We wrote this so that you don't think that we are not serious about the GP2X, on the contrary, we are planning to work on bigger projects with GamePark Holdings to try to see it's capabilities to the limit. Thanks again for your opinion.

That explanation does sound quite impressive. Despite not being a real puzzlefan, I'll get it either way even if it was just to support you. :D
and of course I hope to see those bigger projects continue too.

Thanks. I'll probably buy if the demo is as good as on youtube.

You have to be careful with GPH. non-koreans can't buy from their webpage, and gbax does not use paypal or most other internetty options.

Ensure that English GPH has the store up and running and accepting as many payment options as possible.

Thanks. I'll probably buy if the demo is as good as on youtube.

You have to be careful with GPH. non-koreans can't buy from their webpage, and gbax does not use paypal or most other internetty options.

Ensure that English GPH has the store up and running and accepting as many payment options as possible.

Just a note to say that indeed I think your game looks awesome.

I hope you will free its source code, graphics and tunes some day or another so that we could port it on future consoles, so that it never die ! :)

Ive gathered some of the general info about this game for those of you to lazy to read everything.

Thank you very much, whiskthecat, for your review :) It really helps for those who don't want to read too much.

As for the community, we are very concerned about what GPH will do to sell the game outside Korea. If GPH does not sell the game worldwide, we will be selling the game for all non-korean fans who want the game. I personally love my GP2X, and it would be a shame not to see commercial games released for it, outside Korea.

Thank you all for the support. We have made this game as a Proof of Concept for the GP2X but found out that it really managed to overcome the beta stage. Still uncertain, but we will be releasing more games in the future. You can see our "History" section for some past works.

-- YuanHao

I am a huge puzzle fan and I can't wait to play this, it looks awesome.

I have a question about the Vs mode though, is it 2 player via some sort of networking or system link, or is it just 1 player Vs the computer?

Either way I will definitely be buying this when it's released

I have a question about the Vs mode though, is it 2 player via some sort of networking or system link, or is it just 1 player Vs the computer?

I have read that you can play multiplayer in the same GP2X, player one with the stick and player two with the buttons :)

Hello, this is Yuan-Hsi here.

First of all, our most sincere gratitude to all the support even from people who say they are not fans of the puzzle genre.

It seems that Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles has generated and excellent collection of reviews and encouragement around the globe.

What you see in YouTube is the ACTUAL build for the GP2X, so it runs exactly like that.

We'll try to upload more information and better quality videos for you while we ready the demo. We will try to talk to GamePark Holdings about it tonight.

Yuan

PS: We'll try to post videos with us playing with one GP2X so you guys can see the mechanics.

VS mode may be played in a single GP2X like Rivroner said, as well as YuanHsi. GPH is probably not going to supply a network or wire link, but we have thought of using the Interface Board for those who have it, so that you can plug USB joysticks or a keyboard. It would be nice though if there could be a wire or wireless connection support from GPH. If you manage to plug a controller using the mini USB port, we might also add 2 player support for that.

Anyway, we are open to as many possible methods there are for 2 player gameplay, since it is one of the strongest part of the game :)

Back