Gp2x Cradle Help

sukhi-2006

on the left side of the cradle their is a port called serial port what is it used for.

You mean the long pink one? Thats a JTAG port. I have no clue how it helps developers but the most common use I have seen is for unbricking GP2X's

Unless you mean the RS-232 port. I have no clue how it is used :unsure:

sukhigp said:
on the left side of the cradle their is a port called serial port what is it used for.
Sending email via UUCP.
Connecting via a modem.
Allowing logins.

It's a serial port, you can pretty much do what you want with it... by default, you get a shell if you connect a null modem cable to your computer for tinkering and playing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please can you provide more information with pictures how to set up with a modem.
When you mean you can do anything what do you mean by that please explain.

Nobody's really used the GP2X serial port for anything besides Telnet, so while the other stuff mentioned should work in theory (it works on linux pc's), there really aren't any software or instructions specifically made for the GP2X around.

To telnet through the serial port on Windows, download PuTTY, run it, select serial, enter the correct serial port (if your computer has multiple serial ports, if it only has one, enter COM1) and speed (9600bps is the default, it should be good enough), and click Open. You'll need a null modem cable. If your computer doesn't have a serial port, you'll also need a serial to USB adapter.

If you want to use the serial port to connect to a modem, grab an appropriate lead to connect between the two and port a terminal app for the gp2x. It's really that simple. If you want the 2x to access the net via the modem, you'll also (usually) need pppd.

Telnet is a way to access the command line of one computer (in this case, the GP2X) from another (your PC). Really only useful for software development.

Back