Gp2x Crap Games Competition

I submitted another entry to the compo, Walking Simulator Extreme. Walk through the desert to win the World Champion Walker title.

walking-simulator-extreme.png

Should be available later when Nickspoon writes a review for it.

craigix posted on Dec 29 2006 at 02:00 AM said:
I think that all the prizes should be in the form of chocolate treats as H4k3r4r34l suggested.
yes! buy some wholesale stuff from:
www.chocolatebuttons.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes posted on Dec 30 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
I submitted another entry to the compo, Walking Simulator Extreme. Walk through the desert to win the World Champion Walker title.

walking-simulator-extreme.png

Should be available later when Nickspoon writes a review for it.
It technically doesn't meet the requirements for a game. Kinda like the example provided on the contest page, a game with a moving dot isnt a game, but a game with a moving dot that blows up other dots is. There's really no goal here except to move the player and there's a couter at the bottom.....

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 30 2006 at 12:13 PM said:
It technically doesn't meet the requirements for a game. Kinda like the example provided on the contest page, a game with a moving dot isnt a game, but a game with a moving dot that blows up other dots is. There's really no goal here except to move the player and there's a couter at the bottom.....
I think the game is to see how far you can walk until you go completely insane. ;) I think it's a very worthy entry.

shinneri posted on Dec 30 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
I think the game is to see how far you can walk until you go completely insane. ;) I think it's a very worthy entry.
Well I don't mean to be an ass since this is all in good fun, but we should at least stick to the rules I think. Even the car counter game wasnt a real game, since it was just a loop of cars coming, stoping, beeping, and moving on. There wasn't even a real counter.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 30 2006 at 06:25 PM said:
shinneri posted on Dec 30 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
Well I don't mean to be an ass since this is all in good fun, but we should at least stick to the rules I think. Even the car counter game wasnt a real game, since it was just a loop of cars coming, stoping, beeping, and moving on. There wasn't even a real counter.
Not only are Guyfawkes entries games and perfectly within the rules of the compo as far as I can see, they are very good examples of crap games. Counting cars is a game that all kids have played at one time or another, and the fact that there isn't a real counter is the crap part. And the walking game is something else that really exists - people wear those silly stepometer things to see how far they've walked. Putting that into a computer game is really crap. If you don't think either of those deserve to be in the compo then I really don't think you have the faintest idea what's going on. Take a look at the webring hub ( http://r.webring.com/hub?ring=crapgameswebring ) and see all the csscgc and c64cgc entries from over the years and you'll have a better understanding of what makes a truly crap game.

You could say the same thing about Nickspoon's example of something that doesn't count as a game. He says a dot that moves around the screen isnt a game, but a dot that moves around and blows other dots up is.

So if I make a game that involves a dot moving around the screen, and the underlying premise is for the dot to stop eventually due to "air friction", that's a game? I mean, if I throw a ball in the air it will stop moving and then fall due to friction/gravity, right? A game needs to be interactive, and the car game was certainly not interactive.

The walking game is more interactive than the car game. At least the player needs to hold the joystick so the character onscreen can walk. The car game you literally just stare at the screen. No controls, nothing. Sorry, but It was my honest opinion that it's not a game per se.

In any event, I judged the game accordingly and I was fair. I don't think I'll be giving it nasty reviews or anything, this is a fun competition and guy is still in the running for the toffee crisp ;)

EDIT: Taken DIRECTLY from the site:

"It must have some kind of scoring system, or a timer, or a target"

Looks like you're the one with no idea what's going on. Case closed.

the aim is to cross the desert to win a world champion title (the target) and it has user interaction so it follows the rules. as for the rest of the game (you will know if you play it) it is kinda breaking the rules so I am not fussed if it doesnt get entered or not, it took me more time to drink a cuppa tea than to code it earlier on today :) ill do a little more work on it tonight so its within the rules.

interesting discussion though on what counts as a game, not having a interactive counter in the car game makes it not a game but adding one would make it a game. not having a dig at anyone but personally I cant see the difference it would make the classification between using your brain to keep count and an on screen counter.

in defense, both games do have a target and are interactive (car counting is borderline but nickspoon said its ok), if its very hard or impossible to reach the target than thats a different story and probably does make it a crap 'game' :)

well if nick said it's ok, then it's fine. I really couldn't stand your entry (which is good because it was such crap :p), but I was just saying how I didnt think it was a game.

well anyway, moving on. Let's get more entries!

oh btw, there is a goal in car counter, the game lasts for eight hours which is your shift (theres an unseen timer) after that you get to the results screen.

Guyfawkes' Car Counter just made it - there is some kind of scoring system, and there's an 8-hour timer (I think). The Walking Sim is also fine. I'm going to be lenient about the rules - you can enter anything really, provided it's not just a graphic doing bugger all or something involving moving around aimlessly. And even then, if it's vaguely humorous (for example, Test Card) then I'd enter it. The rules are there for guidelines only - the final decision is down to me, so enter anyway :)

Meh, I don't think Fenix is for me, back to good ol Python I reckon >.< I reckon my game, titled Grue IS too crap for the compo! But I sent it in anyway :)

Grue has been added and reviewed! Unfortunately I couldn't run it on my GP2X (worked on DCGM's), so I couldn't get a screenshot. If the entrant wants to supply one, I will add it.

Back