Gp2x Demo Competition: 750$ prize money

Splendid idea! I was really looking forward to a new compo! I will join! This will be really fun. Thanks for doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea!!! I'd like to see some cool demos for the GP2X and I hope the demoscene will be more active here than in the old GP32. Maybe I'll try to bring a contribution too, hopefully there is a lot of time till the deadline! Gotta finally tell my friend near my place to borrow me his GP2X soon, I only have the oldie now :p

This sounds really cool! :D Shame my main computer is out, otherwise I'd be making a choon for a demo right now, haha. Oh wait, I'd kinda need a demo with that, too...

And I'd like to add that there were more than one real demo on the GP32.
Here:
http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?type=&pl...form3=&x=31&y=6

Though, still if you compare the quantity and quality of the GBA to the GP32 demos, you will wonder why?
I hope things get better for the GP2X..

p.s. I had once written an article about the lame condition of the GP32 demoscene for this Dreamcast diskmag: http://dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Scenedicate , though this one is not yet released because the coder dissapeared :/

aha, I stand corrected...there has been more than one :D Although, two from that Pouet listing are actually GP2X demos...one's a discmag and three others are multiplatform ports...so that's still only 6 real GP32 demos...in how many years? We should at least have as many as the GBA! ;)

I think the main problem has been that most people have bought a GP32 or GP2X because of its Emulation Machine label. This might mean that most of the GP-community (including its coders) have an "emulation-mentality" and so they're not into the classic art of demos which are so popular on every great system past and present. :)

But I think the comments here so far show that there is at least some interest! So not all hope is lost. gp32x.de could also do its "bit" by helping to promote it on the frontpage...that could generate even more interest.

Sales outlets, like GP2X.co.uk for example, could also post a news item about it to help. Not only would that generate interest in the compo itself but could also generate sales from a few more hardcore demosceners who I know have actually WANTED to buy a GP2x but have been put off buy that emulation-mentality I just mentioned and the sad lack of a scene on the GP32. If people saw some scene-related activity beginning on the GP2X, perhaps they'd ditch their GBA's and buy one. :ph34r:

Working on one... thanks for making the deadline so reasonable, the next two weeks are semester exams for me, and I'd hate to miss out on this...

If anyone's interested, I played around with some of the demo effects from The Demo Effects Collection project a while ago on my GP2X and they worked pretty well (they use SDL):

http://demo-effects.sourceforge.net/

Might form some basis to work from for those that aren't going to be hitting the hardware full-on.

Have fun, everyone!

Or we could just try and get as most effects into as small an exe as possible :) (I'm thinking 40KB or so...)

Squidge posted on Apr 12 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
Or we could just try and get as most effects into as small an exe as possible :) (I'm thinking 40KB or so...)

Or just full of printfs a full text demo only for people with a serial cable...

It is very difficult to get an executable < 64 Kb in GP2X. If you use DevKitGP2X you have to use -static flag.

Also it has no sense to don't use executable compression, it is used in almost all 64 kb intros.

Franxis posted on Apr 12 2006 at 04:02 AM said:
It is very difficult to get an executable < 64 Kb in GP2X.
I would say it is "slightly" difficult. As with any platform, solving these type of problems is part of the fun of writing demos.

Franxis posted on Apr 12 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
It is very difficult to get an executable < 64 Kb in GP2X. If you use DevKitGP2X you have to use -static flag.

Also it has no sense to don't use executable compression, it is used in almost all 64 kb intros.

Although the smallest executable created by DevKitGP2X and the like seems to be a few hundred KB, it is certainly possible to get much smaller by using various techniques. Perhaps when the demos are released, people will be able to learn some of these techniques :)

Also, yes, it would be good to use executable compression, but I think at the moment, only Rlyeh has done a compressor/decompressor, but I'm unsure whether his decompressor itself is under 64KB, which would kinda ruin the point of the compression. We'll need a tightly coded decompressor that relies on zero libraries.

Amazing, I'm lookigng forward to seeing these.

And sucha big prize :D

Squidge posted on Apr 12 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
Franxis posted on Apr 12 2006 at 11:02 AM said:

Although the smallest executable created by DevKitGP2X and the like seems to be a few hundred KB, it is certainly possible to get much smaller by using various techniques. Perhaps when the demos are released, people will be able to learn some of these techniques :)

Also, yes, it would be good to use executable compression, but I think at the moment, only Rlyeh has done a compressor/decompressor, but I'm unsure whether his decompressor itself is under 64KB, which would kinda ruin the point of the compression. We'll need a tightly coded decompressor that relies on zero libraries.

I still don't get rlyeh's gpe compressor to work under Linux but the UCL readme states that the decompressor has a size around 200bytes. I remember that Spiv's on the gp32 packed pretty well...

I would be surprised if people did not try and write some demos, this is quite a lot of money. And money talks.

Back