Gp2x-2006 Coding Competition Starts Today

challenger3 posted on Feb 13 2006 at 05:23 PM said:
the prize for this competition isn't that great is it?

a 4gb sd card? do sd cards still cost a lot i suppose.

also how good is the gp2x case? I 'd like a case one thats waterproof would be sweet.
lol ! :D I would only consider entering this competition if the SD card were preloaded with some more magic secret firmwares, and if the carry case had a compartment that would keep a bootle of beer cold.

And if it would flash and make a noise if you whisteled.

And if it were green.

yeah then I would enter your cheapskate cheesecake competition. maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Craig and Guyfawkes, do you know which firmware version are you going to use to try the competition games/ports/emus/etc.? I'm asking this because I've been told that some programs using SDL_mixer make the sound and music play much faster (doubling the speed?) than on previous firmware versions, where they worked as expected. My entry, where music and images _need_ to be in sync, is probably going to have the same problem if you use 1.4. And I guess this is going to happen for some other entries as well...

You can check those sound issues running Tilematch on 1.4, where I'm using OGG sounds at 16 bit / 44100 Hz and telling SDL_mixer to play them at 22500 Hz.

Yesterday, I sent a test to Oyzzo (who has firmware 1.4 installed) from GP32Spain where I set up SDL_mixer so that it played audio at 44100 instead of 22500, and he told me that it worked. But as I don't have the new firmware version installed (nor I'll have until after Feb 20th - I don't want a brick, specially before that date :)) I'm not going to try it by myself in my new game without being able to test it.

As you, Guyfawkes, already know, I had the same concerns as miq01 does. Mine works now, thanks to you, but it was a bit of a problem that I think others might have.

It would be good to know what the testing systems will be running.

Now, I hope that mine still runs properly on 1.2.0, because I upgraded to 1.4.0 and am not testing on both.

Getting a updated libs fixed it for me. I got mine from Guyfawkes, but he said his were just built from ooPo's toolchain.

Flavor posted on Feb 17 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
Getting a updated libs fixed it for me.  I got mine from Guyfawkes, but he said his were just built from ooPo's toolchain.
Flavor, I forgot to ask you about the libs. Which ones? All of them? My game needs to work the hardware accelerated version of SDL by Paeryn.

the v1.4 audio problem is a pain in the arse :( as a quick fix i have uploaded the zipped archive of my lib folder which i gave flavor a few days ago. this was built from oopos toolchain and the audio plays at normal speed. NOTE: the hw libs are build from the source on 2nd feb and are not the latest source, but should work fine.

you can download the libs at http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/hw-libs.zip

if you get an error when compiling about missing SMPEG you need to add '-lsmpeg' to the makefile. the MP3 libs are included (they compiled by default) but dont work well so I would stick with OGG for now.

hope this helps, let me know if there are any problems.

oh, forgot to mention that the X and Y buttons are the other way around, dont forget to change the defines in your source for the buttons. this should be fixed in the next source release.

miq01 PMed me with something i never considered, if devs are still running v1.2 (or earlier) firmware and are worried about their entry not being suitable for entry as there may be audio problems with v1.4 firmware.

ill speak to craig about this but in my opinion its a fault not down to you, its bad timing with the firmware release and the competition deadline. so if necessary any entries that have the audio problem on v1.4 gp2xs will be judged on a v1.2 gp2x.

Guyfawkes posted on Feb 19 2006 at 05:17 AM said:
miq01 PMed me with something i never considered, if devs are still running v1.2 (or earlier) firmware and are worried about their entry not being suitable for entry as there may be audio problems with v1.4 firmware.

ill speak to craig about this but in my opinion its a fault not down to you, its bad timing with the firmware release and the competition deadline. so if necessary any entries that have the audio problem on v1.4 gp2xs will be judged on a v1.2 gp2x.
Me = happy. :D

Thanks a lot.

Regarding what you told me in the PM about changing the chunksize to 128, yes, I knew it worked that way (that's how it is done in Tilematch), but the drawback is that audio sounds mono instead of stereo.

Back