Gbax 2007 Gp2x, Gp32, Ds And Psp Coding Competition

PokeParadox said:
Being away on holiday would not be a problem. The problem is some of us are still bogged down with coursework, and will be for another 2 weeks-ish. The entire summer holiday would've have been nice is all I'm saying. Obviously I know the rules are now set and I'm not expecting the competition duration to change, I just hope that the next compo takes consideration of 3rd Yr Games Technology students ;) lol
Don't bother, I've been pushing for an extension for 2 weeks before this announcement ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, OK I should have foreseen the "my workload is bigger than your workload" debates... I wasn't going for that at all. It's kinda annoying though since the above responses seem to be along the tune of "stop exagerating, real life™ is much tougher" which would be fair enough... but I have worked fulltime and I do have a comparison basis (granted I don't have a family/kids and my gf currently lives in another country etc) and I have had less free time in the last three months than I felt I had when I was working full time and anyone in my year and course would equally describe the inhuman volume of coursework we've had this semester.
Anyway... enough of that, I will try and get an entry for the compo and I look forward to the other entries :)

PokeParadox said:
Ha ha, OK I should have foreseen the "my workload is bigger than your workload" debates... I wasn't going for that at all. It's kinda annoying though since the above responses seem to be along the tune of "stop exagerating, real life™ is much tougher" which would be fair enough... but I have worked fulltime and I do have a comparison basis (granted I don't have a family/kids and my gf currently lives in another country etc) and I have had less free time in the last three months than I felt I had when I was working full time and anyone in my year and course would equally describe the inhuman volume of coursework we've had this semester.
Anyway... enough of that, I will try and get an entry for the compo and I look forward to the other entries :)
Yeah, if you work fulltime and go to school fulltime, I'd think it is a reasonable comparison of having "no time" for recreation". That's how my late college time was... plus the gf (now wife).

Anyways, I think this compo will be a good one. I hope it doesn't slow down too much around here with everyone focusing on the compo.

Reap

Squidge said:
Just wait until you leave school/college/uni and end up spending 37 hours a day coding as port of your day job, then you'll only have weekends, and the gf will want you to spend those with her, and general typical gardening shite/maintence/etc :)
Just going to update my diary. Full time coders do have girlfriends and not just an impressive bookcase full of Babylon 5 merchandise. You learn something every day :p

rooster said:
Squidge said:
Just wait until you leave school/college/uni and end up spending 37 hours a day coding as port of your day job, then you'll only have weekends, and the gf will want you to spend those with her, and general typical gardening shite/maintence/etc :)
Just going to update my diary. Full time coders do have girlfriends and not just an impressive bookcase full of Babylon 5 merchandise. You learn something every day :p

You Sir are a god of funny.

Squidge said:
PokeParadox said:
Being away on holiday would not be a problem. The problem is some of us are still bogged down with coursework, and will be for another 2 weeks-ish. The entire summer holiday would've have been nice is all I'm saying. Obviously I know the rules are now set and I'm not expecting the competition duration to change, I just hope that the next compo takes consideration of 3rd Yr Games Technology students ;) lol

I can second that even though you are a lucky one. I work 40+ hrs a week :(

I have a question about the GBAX 2007

The winners will be the best of all 4 platforms, or one for each platform (ie the best of GP2X, the best of PSP...)?

Thanks for the reply :)

I have one more question

One of the rules is to no release the entries before the compo, but..can we talk about them? I want to open a thread on gp32spain about my project, to receive comments and suggestions, I will not show anything of my entry (perhaps screens of my 3d engine but not the game I will send to the GBAX, which will be based on that engine)

Said that, can we show screens of the entries? ;)

opening a discussion topic about your entry is fine, same with screen shots, videos etc, providing its not a public download release of your entry its ok.

efegea said:
Thanks for the reply :)

I have one more question

One of the rules is to no release the entries before the compo, but..can we talk about them? I want to open a thread on gp32spain about my project, to receive comments and suggestions, I will not show anything of my entry (perhaps screens of my 3d engine but not the game I will send to the GBAX, which will be based on that engine)

Said that, can we show screens of the entries? ;)
As I asked in the official compo forum, you can do anything you want as long as you don't let anyone download your game. But you can perfectly well have a page advertising your game and asking to send a mail to you to get your game, for instance.

A_SN said:
As I asked in the official compo forum, you can do anything you want as long as you don't let anyone download your game. But you can perfectly well have a page advertising your game and asking to send a mail to you to get your game, for instance.
Is there an official forum? Didn't know that, I haven't seen any links, will do a search :lol:

synkro said:
Squidge said:
Just wait until you leave school/college/uni and end up spending 37 hours a day coding as port of your day job,

I can second that even though you are a lucky one. I work 40+ hrs a week :(
So you think working 37 hours a day is more lucky than 40 a week? :blink:

;)

I'm normally out of the house about 6am, and arrive back in the house about 6pm. 8 hours of actual work, about 1 hour of breaks during the day, and about 3 hours of travelling.

Just lately I've been coming in from work, eating tea, and promptly falling asleep in the chair. When I wake up via a certain person trying to nag me to death ;) it's time for bed :eek:

Squidge said:
So you think working 37 hours a day is more lucky than 40 a week? :blink:

;)

I'm normally out of the house about 6am, and arrive back in the house about 6pm. 8 hours of actual work, about 1 hour of breaks during the day, and about 3 hours of travelling.

Just lately I've been coming in from work, eating tea, and promptly falling asleep in the chair. When I wake up via a certain person trying to nag me to death ;) it's time for bed :eek:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Back