Gbax 2007 One Week Remaining Reminder

Quiest said:
Should you be a scientist? :p

I panic also, I took a few days free to work on my entries, but I couldn`t get anything done, my mind was totally blocked.
No, its Biologist silly :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
synkro said:
Squidge said:
I've got a cunning plan :)

So do I.. kinda...

But I still probably will watch films/etc instead of actually doing some coding :p
Can you recommend something? I think, I am going to buy the 2nd season of Battlestar Galactica...

I enjoyed all 3 seasons of BSG.

Strangely enough, I get the feeling I may actually meet the deadline.

synkro said:
Squidge said:
I've not started yet :eek:

kevcal said:
Good luck to all - I'm too late for this one by a long way :(
But next time...!

wow, everything already said! This is like rocket science...
/me lazy bum.
Today, just got a ship whizzing round the screen how I wanted it...
So... when's the next competition :)

Good luck to all who planned ahead (ie not me)!

I was planning to release my game soon so I may as well enter it into the competition. :)

Just got a few little things to do first but you always find that there are.

Good Luck all that are entering there looks to be some very good games to play.

Well, as of right now mine is 98% done. Just a few small things to do then ask for any beta testers suggestions. I think I have the difficulty about right. 50% of my testers find it too easy and 50% of them find it too hard :p

Edit: now it's 95% complete, meh.

I am not sure if this of interest to anybody but I posted a new test version of the Open2x Prebuilt Library Packages on the Open2x WiKi today.

They are test releases so may well not be as stable as the currently supported prebuilt packs.

As it includes updates to SDL (now 1.2.11 with some other tweaks), SDL Mixer and most of the other libs I thought some of the budding GBAX entrants may wish to try there code against the new libs and see if it offers any improvements.

The lib pack is designed for the current Open2x Applications Toolchain but most competent devs should be able to get the libs going with DevKitGP2X et. all with ease. Just make sure you backup any files before you try the new libs so you can revert to what you have incase of issues.

As usual they have to be statically linked with your executable (unless you’re running an Open2x firmware pre-release).

Anyway, here is the link for anybody that may be interested.

Quiest said:
Oh hey :D Squidgey is quoting Douglas Adams here :) Am I right?
I've no idea, it's one of the quotes on the calendar in the office :)

Squidge said:
Quiest said:

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." is the Douglas Adams quote ;). I have it on a t-shirt (don't ask).

DJWillis said:
Squidge said:
Quiest said:

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." is the Douglas Adams quote ;). I have it on a t-shirt (don't ask).

:eek: you are legendary!

Due to lack of time during this compo I wasn't planning to make an entry to enter for fun, but in past compos I have always tried to get something done for it, usually a port of one of my games from another system. My main game isn't finished yet and wont be for a few more months at least so I will save that for another compo and get first place again ;)

So for this compo I am going to try writing a small game from scratch in between the deadline and when the entries go online to the public, around a day or two length of time. I have an idea for the game, its based on a simple javascript browser game which is quite fun, one of those 'one more go' type games :)

Guyfawkes said:
.. so I will save that for another compo and get first place again ;)

Sorry, but I intend to disappoint you... :p

Of course I may also disappoint myself as my attention span nowadays isn't what it was :)

EDIT:
@DJWillis - Saw word of open2x libs - had planned to release allegro libs with the 'black screen' fix (and vsync).. could/can/should this be incorporated?

kevcal said:
@DJWillis - Saw word of open2x libs - had planned to release allegro libs with the 'black screen' fix (and vsync).. could/can/should this be incorporated?
If you would like to include Allegro in the lib pack catch me on IRC and we can sort something, most (well) all the libs in the lib pack are build from Open2x's SVN but then I guess there is no good reason the Allegro code can't live there also, it may as well take any hardware opt's SDL gets and also use them :D.

Be warned Sam, a lot of developments get stuck at 99% -
I seem to get to 99% very quickly :) (I suck at planning).

DJWillis said:
kevcal said:

If you would like to include Allegro in the lib pack catch me on IRC and we can sort something, most (well) all the libs in the lib pack are build from Open2x's SVN but then I guess there is no good reason the Allegro code can't live there also, it may as well take any hardware opt's SDL gets and also use them :D.
Aarrgghh... SVN, IRC... I think I'm getting too old for all this internet-based development.. can I upload my source to a bulletin board? :D
All I know is I have gfoot's source and have changed a few bits - given time I'd like to add more to it.. maybe I'm not up to public display of my efforts though - as I dunno what you're talking about :)
All I know is I used the open2x toolchain and libs to build the gfoot's allegro lib from my edited source.

kevcal said:
Be warned Sam, a lot of developments get stuck at 99% -
I seem to get to 99% very quickly :) (I suck at planning).
Well, IMO the game is done now so I think its 100% but i just know there'll be some more stuff to do right at the last second.

I would like some peoples opinions on if my coded in a few hours entry is playable or not with the gp2x joystick, the game is unfinished but apart from a 'new game' bug should be playable, need to track down the bug but keep trying to start a new game and it should work eventually.

the aim of the game is just to avoid the blue bouncing squares, you control the red square. try and last as long as you can :)

I have tried on gp2x and I found the game very tricky to play with the standard joystick. Let me know what you think as I will try and get another game coded by the time the entries are online. You can download it from http://www.emuboards.com/escapa.zip

Guyfawkes said:
I would like some peoples opinions on if my coded in a few hours entry is playable or not with the gp2x joystick, the game is unfinished but apart from a 'new game' bug should be playable, need to track down the bug but keep trying to start a new game and it should work eventually.

the aim of the game is just to avoid the blue bouncing squares, you control the red square. try and last as long as you can :)

I have tried on gp2x and I found the game very tricky to play with the standard joystick. Let me know what you think as I will try and get another game coded by the time the entries are online. You can download it from http://www.emuboards.com/escapa.zip

lol, that looks like a publicly available release..you might be disqualified :D

EDIT: Controls arent bad at all, im not good at these kinds of games but I can get over 20 seconds.

There is a fun bug that makes you have to start a new game 2-3 times in a row after losing once and a while but that made me laugh actually...probably would be better without :D Fun.

Back