GP2X Gp2x Emulator For Development?

rainmaker2k

Still Fresh
I was wondering if there is a gp2x emulator to emulate the gp2x itself. Instead of placing the .gpe and .gpu file on a card and try it, it would be a lot easier to just load it into an emulator and start a debugger.

The idea of SDL is that you can compile on your PC, ensure everything works, and then recompile for GP2X, so you don't need an emulator. However, there are always things different on real real hardware, but there is no emulator yet.

Squidge posted on Dec 3 2005 at 05:45 PM said:
The idea of SDL is that you can compile on your PC, ensure everything works, and then recompile for GP2X, so you don't need an emulator. However, there are always things different on real real hardware, but there is no emulator yet.

Though most programs will work with the SDL libraries for the PC, it's hard to see how well it performs on a GP2x. For example, the released SNES emulator will perform well on a PC, but it's somewhat slower on a GP2x. And that's where the emulator can come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, that's the same with an emulator - except performance tends to work the other way. Try out a GP32 emu on GeePee32 and you'll see what I mean.

Squidge posted on Dec 3 2005 at 04:45 PM said:

with wich compiler (version) and other things do i need to compile for windows?
the page in the wiki referrs to a site with dozens of different files.
wich version of this MinGW?
and wich version of the GCC?

in my opinion its not needed .. there are enough easy ways to get the compile/test cycle going on the gp2x that it really is easier to just run, always, on your gp2x.

of course, that only works if you've got a gp2x ..

rainmaker2k posted on Dec 3 2005 at 04:51 PM said:
Though most programs will work with the SDL libraries for the PC, it's hard to see how well it performs on a GP2x. For example, the released SNES emulator will perform well on a PC, but it's somewhat slower on a GP2x. And that's where the emulator can come in.

for that case you'd be better to include some sort of speed limiter in your code, and as already mentioned, an emulator would probably not be a very accurate representatrion of the hardware anyway, best to try it out on an actual gp2x frequently..

An emu would be cool of course, but someone will need to write one.

The biggest obstacle really is just allignment issues; SDL is SDL so no worries about the code, and performance generally can't be measured in an emu anyway.. and truth be told, most emus don't well emulate allignment issues anyway.

jeff

Back