Gp2x Emus Vs. Psp Emus

MagusZ posted on Sep 24 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
I can clearly tell you if you want to play snes and nes GO WITH THE PSP. The Gp2x does have a full speed NES but the SNES is for lack of a better word "lacking" (it doesn't have full speed nor transperencies)

nkSNES has transparencies...

Last edited by a moderator:
MagusZ posted on Sep 24 2006 at 11:48 AM said:
I'd like to add to this thread beacuase I own both the GP2X and the PSP v2.6
I can clearly tell you if you want to play snes and nes GO WITH THE PSP. The Gp2x does have a full speed NES but the SNES is for lack of a better word "lacking" (it doesn't have full speed nor transperencies) The PSP snes isn't full speed as well but where the GP2X gets ~30 fps without sound in Chrono trigger the PSP gets ~60 fps with sound at 44kbs.

Like other ppl have said the PSP is more expensive but if money is of no concern get the PSP.

Also so this is clear. PSP's have been hacked all the way to v2.71 to be able to play homebrew!!!! this with limited kernel mode (google of you care) Basically if you buy a PSP now you can play homebrew on it.

As for my GP2x I love using it for my Geness+ games as well as my PC ports. But other than that I use the PSP for my Snes games...the emu is incredible.

Hope that helped, if i missed something just ask. I own The DS, PSP, and GP2X. All homebrew capable :)

MagusZ - Your post was exactly what I'm looking for. Someone who has both the PSP and GP2X and can compare emulators between them. I'd definitely want a better SNES and NES emu over killer NeoGeo and Genesis emus. But what concerns me is not being able to downgrade to 1.5. Maybe I'm now considered "old school" since I was into the PSP emu scene when EVERYTHING was 1.5 (and have just now come back to the scene) so I'm not up to speed on what's going on. Maybe I"ll PM you with some further questions about the PSP since they'd be considered off-topic at this point, unless other's are interested too?

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 24 2006 at 01:31 PM said:
Why do you assume that he wants the system for himself? Why in hell are you assuming that he doesn`t know what his girlfriend likes. Apparently she also plays doom, maybe she is a retro-gamer, too. I think that it is a bit ignorant to assume that women don`t like to play video games per se.

It is really not an assumption if you read his post. It is quite obvious that he is interested in one. I am not saying that girls or women cannot be fully into the gaming scene. It is just that when women are romantically involved with someone they expect something that is a.... well..... hmmm...a little bit more different. And I don't care how much she likes playing games, she just might expect something a bit more special from the one she loves. ;) I have a couple of women, both my wife and daugther, that are gamers. Believe me, I think I know a little about what I am talking about.

darkman posted on Sep 24 2006 at 12:11 PM said:
xnopasaranx posted on Sep 24 2006 at 01:31 PM said:
Why do you assume that he wants the system for himself? Why in hell are you assuming that he doesn`t know what his girlfriend likes. Apparently she also plays doom, maybe she is a retro-gamer, too. I think that it is a bit ignorant to assume that women don`t like to play video games per se.

It is really not an assumption if you read his post. It is quite obvious that he is interested in one. I am not saying that girls or women cannot be fully into the gaming scene. It is just that when women are romantically involved with someone they expect something that is a.... well..... hmmm...a little bit more different. And I don't care how much she likes playing games, she just might expect something a bit more special from the one she loves. ;) I have a couple of women, both my wife and daugther, that are gamers. Believe me, I think I know a little about what I am talking about.

darkman - Your post has A LOT of truth to it. When it comes to the average woman, I think they'd rather have diamonds over gaming systems any day of the week! But considering the only thing my GF told me she wanted for her birthday was a copy the Nightlife expansion pack for Sims 2 (which I'll get her, of course lol), I figured maybe splurging a bit on a PSP would tickle her fancy as well.

Plus after the recent discovery of emus with wireless, ad-hoc multiplayer support for the PSP (thanks Iorgy77) I think I'm leaning a bit more toward the PSP at this point (for my GF), I still will probably pick up a GP2X for myself in a few months. Can we say, "Merry Christmas to me!"? :p

I think this threat should be renamed:
Life advise: don't buy you girlfriend a PSP or a GP2X as a present
and made a sticky (since we can have NEVER enought of them).

Ok, whatever you do, do NOT give her a GP2X please! Girls like things that are stylish. The PSP is stylish to some extent. The GP2X is not; it is a block. But really, you have to give a gift that says that she is your *girl*friend. A PSP full of emus is the kind of gift I would give to one of my friends. Giving a PSP is nice, but it shows very little meaning past its face value (games).

But considering the only thing my GF told me she wanted for her birthday was a copy the Nightlife expansion pack for Sims 2 (which I'll get her, of course lol), I figured maybe splurging a bit on a PSP would tickle her fancy as well.
You see. At least Sims is a game of social interaction and family planning (things that are useful in society).

Julius posted on Sep 24 2006 at 12:21 PM said:
I think this threat should be renamed:
Life advise: don't buy you girlfriend a PSP or a GP2X as a present
and made a sticky (since we can have NEVER enought of them).

Funny funny... But this post was to find out which system has the better emulators (which is a toss-up because some PSP emus are better than the GP2X emus and visa versa). The fact that the system was going to be for my GF was just a side detail!

JaqMs posted on Sep 24 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
Ok, whatever you do, do NOT give her a GP2X please! Girls like things that are stylish. The PSP is stylish to some extent. The GP2X is not; it is a block. But really, you have to give a gift that says that she is your *girl*friend. A PSP full of emus is the kind of gift I would give to one of my friends. Giving a PSP is nice, but it shows very little meaning past its face value (games).

But considering the only thing my GF told me she wanted for her birthday was a copy the Nightlife expansion pack for Sims 2 (which I'll get her, of course lol), I figured maybe splurging a bit on a PSP would tickle her fancy as well.
You see. At least Sims is a game of social interaction and family planning (things that are useful in society).

JaqMs - Fortunately for us, my girlfriend and I are past the point where we have to establish the fact that we're in a relationship with relationship-type gifts. Instead we like to get things for eachother that we know the other person would like and enjoy. And in my case, I know my girlfriend would like and enjoy a PSP full of emus, ports & homebrews on it. And if she doesn't, I can find a girlfriend who will, right? ;) JK!

You do bring up a good point with the PSP being more stylish than the GP2X though. Didn't even think of that!

Tobriand posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
- Mame's great on the 2x. Again, don't know how it compares, though. And it does NOT currently emulate CPS1/2 games, so the more modern stuff may not be on the list.

Actually it does support CPS1 and some CPS2.

MagusZ posted on Sep 24 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
The PSP snes isn't full speed as well but where the GP2X gets ~30 fps without sound in Chrono trigger the PSP gets ~60 fps with sound at 44kbs.

Just a clarification -- that would be at the standard 200mhz. GP2Xs can always run at a higher speed, which is different with each unit (minimum 240mhz). Mine goes to 275mhz and at that speed Chrono Trigger runs 40-50FPS *with* sound. But generally, yes, I'd say the GP2X SNES is about 20% worse at the moment. However, Squidge is working on a completely new SNES emu...

Also so this is clear. PSP's have been hacked all the way to v2.71 to be able to play homebrew!!!! this with limited kernel mode (google of you care) Basically if you buy a PSP now you can play homebrew on it.

You'd be taking a gamble. 2.8 versions are in the stores now, and they have not been hacked yet.

I must admit im a little dissapointed with the way GP2X homebrew has been progressing, four months back I had boxed my 1.5 psp never to see daylight again, with Genesis on GP2X being great and setting the standard. My only problem is, this has been the only emulator that really done it for me. Neo Geo is good, Metal slug is still awesome. Sms, gameboy and mame are ok yet none of these seem to get many, if any updates. My main issue here is the vast improvement regarding psp emulators and applications, Devhook, irShell, a great full speed gba emulator, N64 and an evolving psx emu not to mention cps1 and cps2 (near and full speed most compatible games)snes, genesis, gb, sms nes and NeoGeo running well.
Im not a sony fanboy I just hope the GP2X scene starts to really pick up otherwise psp will be setting the standard for homebrew. :( no disrespect to any devs here, keep up the good work.

slickjim posted on Sep 24 2006 at 09:44 AM said:
I must admit im a little dissapointed with the way GP2X homebrew has been progressing, four months back I had boxed my 1.5 psp never to see daylight again, with Genesis on GP2X being great and setting the standard.
I believe that is mainly due to the 3 competitions that end in December since they don't allow pre releases of the games entered.

yaustar posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
slickjim posted on Sep 24 2006 at 09:44 AM said:
I must admit im a little dissapointed with the way GP2X homebrew has been progressing, four months back I had boxed my 1.5 psp never to see daylight again, with Genesis on GP2X being great and setting the standard.
I believe that is mainly due to the 3 competitions that end in December since they don't allow pre releases of the games entered.

Not even pictures? =(

If you have the money for a psp and 2GB card, get it...it has fullspeed snes and gba, and I think they have DOOM I/II/III running on it too! :blink:

I am glad you know your woman maalsa. Maybe she will be happy with that.

*Warning: shameless bragging*
To give you an idea about one of my girl gamers. My daughter has learned to control Yoshimitsu. She knows his moves and knows how to use him. When Tekken 5 came out, the local EB games had an Iron Fist tournament. My daughter entered it. She went expecting to get whipped in the first match. What she found was most of the guys were “button mashers.” She was disappointed. She embarrassed a lot of them. She grew bored. In the middle of it she turned to me and said, “Lets go dad, I'd rather be shopping.” They say her games were the best they saw that day. :lol:

OMars posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
If you have the money for a psp and 2GB card, get it...it has fullspeed snes and gba, and I think they have DOOM I/II/III running on it too! :blink:
Doom III on PSP? Ha, they don't even have Doom 3 for PS2!

Yono posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:08 PM said:
Yeah, I think it's called IRIS, but it's based on Doom 3. Plus, the PS2 homebrew scene isn't very big, there more emulators for the GBA than the ps2.

OMars posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Yeah, I think it's called IRIS, but it's based on Doom 3. Plus, the PS2 homebrew scene isn't very big, there more emulators for the GBA than the ps2.

There are 26 systems that can be emulated on the PS2. How many systems can be emulated on the GBA? :blink:

If you but a psp you have to downgrade the firmware to play homebrew on it, which makes it impossible to run new games....
Ofcourse the psp has more emus, because its a much more familiar system, with a larger homebrew community..

About GBA:
-I own a GBA flash cart, it can emulate 8 bit systems, but thats it.. (there's a snes emulator for it, but can't be considered playable)

darkman posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
OMars posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:11 PM said:

There are 26 systems that can be emulated on the PS2. How many systems can be emulated on the GBA? :blink:
:rolleyes:

Back