Gp2x Essentials

iCeD00D

Still Fresh
Good day.... While I have a break here at work, I was pondering in my mind... Now that I have my F-200B, what are the essentials I should get for it? Currently I have a basic black case and I just bought 2x - 2GB SD Cards from Dell (Couldn't pass up both cards for $40!!). I know I should get the A/C adapter but I'm not sure where to buy one because not everyone has the 'US" version... So for all of you GP2X junkies out there.. what do you recommend? I'd like to get some sort of extended battery pack just as an example.... Thanks guys....

Just go to your local electronic store, buy some 2500 mh (or more) AA battery (consider getting four of them so you can charge one couple while using the other), they often come with a charger.

As for the PSU, your local electronic store should have that too. Show them your GP2X so that they see what the connector look like, they'll probably have a compatible PSU. Be sure that it can be set to 3 Volts.

Kewl Tks Clad .. so no real need to get the 'official' one? The wife would kill me if I fried this one because of not getting the right adapter..... :)

...with the right polarity, mind! Make sure that the wallwart delivers the positive and negative on the right pins!

It won't kill your GP2X and can easily be swapped, even without proper soldering tools.

Just anywhere in the middle of the wire, tie each end with the opposite one, and put some duck tape back.

And you probably won't even have to do that, most universal PSU have a switch to reverse polarity.

Clad said:
As long as it supplies 3V (no more, no less) it's perfectly safe.
Eep, no more???
well... I have a uniross 300mah adapter, and at 3v my Gp2x, loaded to the menu... but as soon as I ran any app, it just froze and died. So t turned it to 4.5v My gp2x worked no probs for like an hour or so. Never got warm, and I didnt smell burning plastic, ofcourse, i'm still going to buy a propper 1A adapter very soon. But I thought that I should share my findings that 4.5v @ 300mAh worked... but I don't recommend it.

By the way...
Now that I have my F-200B

F-200B?
there was an A? or was that a typo *confused* :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
I really want a power supply for my GP2X as well. Thanks for the tip.

I'll be making a trip to Radioshack really soon.
Radioshack is EXPENSIVE, don't buy there. They have one adaptor that'll work, but it's really overpriced. If you have a Fry's electronics near you, go there. They have absolutely horrible customer service, and will generally just tell you they don't have stuff, but if you go and look it will always be right where you'd expect it, lol. I got a really nice adaptor for like 12 dollars, it was like 2A with multiple voltages and a bunch of different tips. Nice for giving that extra boost when using the cradle, too.

NickLoTurco said:
Argos for 6 quid odd for UK readers! Works great. Stupid place to put the jack though, should have been on top with the headphones.
Don't happen to have the catalogue number handy do you?

HL706 said:
NickLoTurco said:
Argos for 6 quid odd for UK readers! Works great. Stupid place to put the jack though, should have been on top with the headphones.
Don't happen to have the catalogue number handy do you?

I bought the Argos one and it has been okay, catalogue number 9829701 for the Masterplug 1200mA Multi-Volt Adaptor at £6.96.

Clad said:
It won't kill your GP2X and can easily be swapped, even without proper soldering tools.
And you probably won't even have to do that, most universal PSU have a switch to reverse polarity.
It won't kill properly designed electronic devices, no, but at least some versions of the GP2x weren't properly secured against back voltage, so if you experimented with the wrong polarity you got a *bzzt*, some of the magic smoke and a rather heavy makeup mirror.

Center negative. Remember.

I'd just order the proper thing... it doesn't cost much.

Otherwise you need exactly those specs:

3.3v, 2.0a, Tip/center positive

of course you can get away with slightly different specs, but I'd really consider getting the real, if only not to be stuck with a bothersome wallwart (the official thing has a regular plug to it...)

Back