Gp2x-f200 Presentation Video

Hmm... The more I see of this F200, the more unnecessary I think it is. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the main draw of the GP2X is emulation, and none of the consoles it's capable of emulating had touchscreen.

I suppose it could be good for SCUMM and some computer emulators...

But maybe this means there'll be a clearance on old model GP2Xs. I wouldn't mind a second. :)

and none of the consoles it's capable of emulating had touchscreen

But this could help with some of the older consoles with a number pad
would be nice for a popup pad for the touch screen to run intellevision games ;)

Other possiblilities such as a palm/WinCE enviroments, to me even a little bit of "upgrades" could open up a bunch of new ideas. Wouldn't Battle Jewels be great to play with a touch screen kind of like using a mouse in Bejewled B)

*edit was to clean up a few typo's, I'm sure there are more then I fixed lol*

I have to say that I also wasn't all that impressed with the video (or the f200 for that matter).
It was an 'ok' video overall though with the crade system being the best part in my opinion.

On a related note I think it it would be cool to have that animated GP2X logo appear on start up.

CABBAGES said:
i think it was good ! What some people dont realise is this is gph not sony or nintendo or that gph are a little tiny company compared to the likes of sony and nintendo and stuff liek that that is why the video isnt as flashy and great as say one for the new psp or the ds lite. some of this stuff might not work out right but its ok coz they are a little korean company and they can get away with it. Other big companys wouldnt make a thing like the gp2x as they would be to scared of getting taken to court and stuff due to how easy it is to play emulators and stuff on it. So i like the cheap crappy look of the video :p
What?

The F200 looks nice, but I think I'll save for the System. It'll blow the pants and socks off this and make it look like it's made of alabaster or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not agree with most of the people who posted here, I believe that the GP2X F200 has some pretty good potential. The d-pad will likely be much better than the crappy joystick I have seen on the original GP2X, and the touch screen would offer some new possibilities for homebrew. Being able to move a mouse cursor just by touching the screen or having images on the touch screen that act as extra buttons for games, or using the system as a PDA would actually be a major improvement. Somebody could do some reprogramming on a few shooting games and allow you to turn and attack enemies (or just shoot in different directions) by touching the enemies on the screen.

Anyone else notice they renamed the start button to "Home"? Looks like stick click is gone too... I wonder if that'll break any existing programs.

--Zero

Ze_ro said:
Looks like stick click is gone too... I wonder if that'll break any existing programs.

--Zero
Read the main F-200 thread :ph34r:

quartercast said:
Ze_ro said:
Looks like stick click is gone too... I wonder if that'll break any existing programs.

--Zero
Read the main F-200 thread :ph34r:

Hmmm, nice presentation - shame it's 18 months to late ( IMHO ).

Still, perhaps the touchscreen is able to be deployed to the original GP2X as an upgrade ??

However, I'll keep my cash in my pocket and wait for craigs offering to the gods of gaming, :)

i doubt it would be possible but how about being able to "trade up" to the f200 ? i doubt any of the distributers would want to do this since it would leave them with a load of f100's to get rid of (or perhaps send back to gph for upgrades).

i wouldnt mind getting an f200 but since i have an f100 i doubt i will.. and personally i think trading up is the only way of getting people to buy them, unless existing customers/owners get a discount ? :eek:

I love my 2x, and I think the F200 has something great with small improvements, but this video stills crap to me.
Crap rendering doen't means cheap company... And I don't think 3D rendering is the best way to promote the gp2x...
Cheap & crap doesn't mean modern/simple/retro to me.
I hope they will build the true F200 with another mind.

They already have built a prototype, and it looks like that! What's your beef?

quartercast said:
They already have built a prototype, and it looks like that! What's your beef?
Yeah i know, but I would have to talk only about the quality of the f200 build...
As ED already tested the not so convincing d-pad...

I dont get all the moaning and sulking? People should be happy something is going on with the GP2X.

I think GP2X is a great piece of gear, the best handheld Ive owned since the LYNX, - the f200 is the f100 with some extra features, whats to complain about?

As Arnie would say, "Stop whining!"

Sheesh!

I just watched the video and thought it was great. Much better than wankertisments I've seen from Sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT1-pKPB7G4

I'm really surprised by the quality. Although, I admit it's not giving us any news and it's not really aimed at the people who read these threads three times a days.

If this was played on TV, I can imagine people saying, what the hell is this? this looks cool. And that's without even selling the number one selling point for most people here. Emulation.

EDIT: by the way, can someone post a link to a hi definition version of this video. I'd like to try and get this added to gamershell.

starpause said:
evildragon: have you touched a f200 yet? any juicy details for us?
Sure, posted at the other thread.
Everybody can come and try it out here.

icurafu said:
I'm really surprised by the quality. Although, I admit it's not giving us any news and it's not really aimed at the people who read these threads three times a days.
No, it's the video to tease the guys here at the IFA to come and ask about it.

EDIT: by the way, can someone post a link to a hi definition version of this video. I'd like to try and get this added to gamershell.

mmkay, I uploaded it to the archive

Last edited:
icurafu said:
I just watched the video and thought it was great. Much better than wankertisments I've seen from Sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT1-pKPB7G4

If this was played on TV, I can imagine people saying, what the hell is this? this looks cool. And that's without even selling the number one selling point for most people here. Emulation.

I agree with you. I was surprised by the video quality given GPH's track record, and I could see a lot of people who aren't familiar with the GP2X being quite intrigued by the video. Obviously the video is not targeted at hardcore GP2X users, nor should it be. No brief show video is going to get at the real questions hardcore users have.

EvilDragon said:
It's here on YouTube

The music in the video reminds me of the "educational" science videos that I was forced to watch at school. :)

Also, needs more Engrish. :p

I can't see the point of this as I think the spec is the same as the F100. If I wanted touch screen I would by a Nintendo DS. All emulators, and I quote the word "retro" never had a touchscreen and there isn't really need for one. Even if you could send the F100 back and upgrade to the F200 there's no guarantee that it will overclock as high, thus stiching yourself up. If they upgrade the processor speeds then it will obviously lead to a lot more possibilities like a fullspeed playstation emulator with no frameskip. I think i'll wait until this happens.

liveevil said:
I can't see the point of this as I think the spec is the same as the F100. If I wanted touch screen I would by a Nintendo DS. All emulators, and I quote the word "retro" never had a touchscreen and there isn't really need for one. Even if you could send the F100 back and upgrade to the F200 there's no guarantee that it will overclock as high, thus stiching yourself up. If they upgrade the processor speeds then it will obviously lead to a lot more possibilities like a fullspeed playstation emulator with no frameskip. I think i'll wait until this happens.
In GPH's mind, any such non-expensive move is a good move, I guess.

Back