Gp2x Gems Released

Kensupen

I spent 2 weekends programming this so I could learn FENIX programming to be able to do some kind of development for the GP2X.

I forgot to put the installation notes in the readme.
-Just unzip the contents into a folder on your GP2X

UPDATED VERSION:
Version 1.1
Took the suggestions from the gp32x forums and added in a few quick things.
-Cursor changes to RED when that gem is selected
-Sound plays to let you know if gem is De-selected
-A,B,X or Y can now be pressed to make a selection
-You can now hold the selection button and still swap gems
-Added a hand drawn icon

Screenshot:
gems.jpg

Download:
GP2X Gems v1.1
[cut]
Let me know what you think. I may continue on this at a later time, but I don't have much time to dev for the GP2X. Life takes over most of the time.

-Kensupen[/cut]

So, is this similar to tilematch?

Yes, this is similar to Tilematch, but with no timelimit or finite number of matches. It's simply to keep going until there are no more moves left to get the highest score.

I chose a BeJeweled clone because I thought it would be simple, but it wasn't. Making an RPG would have been 10 times easier, just taken longer due to content and graphics needed.

-Kensupen

you bastard!

you'll make loss my job!!!

:D

great clone.

i have some suggestions:

- selector could change colors when switching to push mode.
- sound could trig when returning to movement mode.
- why using X as trigger? gp apps are very inconsistent assigning actions to buttons. it confuses new users.

i have some suggestions:

- selector could change colors when switching to push mode.
- sound could trig when returning to movement mode.
- why using X as trigger? gp apps are very inconsistent assigning actions to buttons. it confuses new users.

First, thanks for trying it and for the feedback.

As for #1 I will make this change sometime soon. I was getting tired and just wanted to release it to see what people thought.

I don't really understand what you are asking for in #2. Basically if nothing is moving on the screen, you can move the cursor. Adding a sound for this would just take up more RAM.

As for #3, I plan to add an options screen at some point and allow the user to select any or all buttons (A,B,X,Y) for the selection button.

-Kensupen

Hey, I use the same Gem-Set for Tilematch since a couple of weeks. :)
And I really wanted a tilematch without Time-Limit! :) Nice.

Suggestions:
-Menu
-a game- Icon! ;)
-you cant move the tiles while holding the x-button AND use the Stick-Button for the direction. You have to release the selection-button first to move the tiles. It should be solved like in Tilematch where you can move while button is pressed.

i have some suggestions:
As for #1 I will make this change sometime soon. I was getting tired and just wanted to release it to see what people thought.
nice!

I don't really understand what you are asking for in #2. Basically if nothing is moving on the screen, you can move the cursor. Adding a sound for this would just take up more RAM.
sorry for my bad english. i'll try to explain.
when you switch from movement mode to push mode (or whatever you call it) a ring sounds. but if you bring back to movement mode there's no sound so is a bit dificult to know in which state are you. if you implement #1 probably this is not so important, but could be also usefull.

As for #3, I plan to add an options screen at some point and allow the user to select any or all buttons (A,B,X,Y) for the selection button.

-Kensupen
nice. note that my rant is not specific to your game, i think coders should mantain coherent mappings for their controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a new version and edited the original post. The in-game menu will have to come later.

Have fun with it.

-Kensupen

Wow, that was quick! :)
I love the GP2X comunity, here I can talk directly to devs. ^^
After 5700 Points I think, the Game is really good. Without Time-limit in the neck it makes fun to search for the best combos.
by the way, the Game runs fine at 150MHz! You have the underclock-Bonus. Greetings from my Batteries. :lol:
I still have some little suggestions:
-The selection should automaticly deselect, if you move a gem without a reaction (like in Tilematch)
-The Animations of the gems is very smooth. looks good. Maybe a "shrinking" like in Tilematch (or something other effect) could improve the style of the game.

Thats all. ^^

When I have time to work on it, I'll put in the following.

Menu options:
-A,B,X,Y or all for select button
-De-select if swap and no match (on/off)
-Sound (on/off)
-Reset Hiscores
-Instructions screen

Other updates:
-Splashscreen
-Gem vanishing animation
-Change sound for De-select gem
-Touch up or make a new background
-Maybe try to add a different font back it.

Things I can't add:
-CPU speed selection (not controllable from Fenix)
I may add a section to the readme to explain how to underclock or just add a 2nd GPE file with instructions.

-Kensupen

I use Gemenu2X so I have no problems with under/overclocking. :)
Another note: The Sound Volume could be saved. Gems is a little bit loud when starting. ^^

Hi, I thought that gem theme looked familiar! :D I'm happy to see you use it too! I still plan on making one more theme for Tilematch when I get some time.

I was very happy to see how smooth the game felt and the sounds are very good! One thing I would love to have that is also not in Tilematch is a different sound for a match of four or five in a row. I always felt a disappointment when matching more than three because you don't feel like you did any better and I think a wizz-bang sound of some sort would be really satisfying!

-Dan

Thanks for trying it and for the feedback. Glad you like it.

Well there's no sound for it at the moment, but you do gain 2.5x points for a 4-way match and 5x for a 5-way match. I could add a sound, but that will come on the next revision.

-Kensupen

Yes I think the idea of giving special rewards with sound is a great idea. Many people don't even look at their score that much. I love it when cool sounds happen when you do something great in a puzzle game.

Edit: Modern slot machines and poker machines also use the same technique by using special sounds when you win extra credits. This helps hook people in and gets them addicted.

Yes, the sound-pitching is cool, so the game gives an good "you are great"- feedback if you do a long chain reaction. :) It's Fun. ^^
Maybe there could be more (graphical/sound) boni for big chains or special Stones randomly which kill one gem-type completely from screen when build in an reaction.... just an Idea...

Oh, I forgot to mention a feature - maybe the Game could be completely skinnable? So in the Future it could match with my Liquido-menu-Skins for example :lol:

Back