Gp2x Interface Board

The last two pages in the "BoB finished product" topic are about TechFreaks new portable BoB, he writes small so nobody has noticed :).

I am sure an S-Video can be incorporated into the thing, but for ease and portability nothing beats 3.5mm video, a simple pin would add the chroma.
He wrote one message about a smaller BoB (the rest was speculation and unanswered questions, but your responses were probably the most informed of the lot) and nothing since. So until he resurfaces, it's vapourware.

It would only need another 1-pin connector for the chroma signal to make it fully S-Video compliant
...and you would need a non-standard cable to connect it to anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ, I feel the Jtag is very necessary.

Allan.
Yes I agree that it is necessary for developers, but they could put in a small 20-pin header on the developer board, no need for Parallel D-25 on everyones' board, 80% of us will never need it. (to clarify: the developer board from GPH differs only in that it has no plastic shell, AFAIK)

Ive got that cable from my digital camera that techfreak is going to use on the mini breakout box. I really think its much better then the current cables Im using.
That is why I suggested it to him, he thanked me for the idea, he said it would solve some of the space and layout problems they were having :). I had the idea that the headphones plug should have been video as well to start with last November, you can check my previous posts for proof :p.

It would only need another 1-pin connector for the chroma signal to make it fully S-Video compliant :). I am spoiled by my German-engineered Jetta and Rabbit GTi though :), darn Germans make it look too easy to be geniuses.
Wait, so this version wont be Red White Yellow cables like my digicam??!?!??

The BoB from GPH has S-Video (not composite video, or in simple terms, not the yellow RCA socket) and stereo RCA sockets for left/right audio (the red and white RCA sockets).

TechFreak's mini BoB will apparently have a 3.5mm socket for composite video, left and right audio. This is similar to what most digicams have for connection to a TV. To use this, you will need a cable that has a three-contact 3.5mm jack on one end and three RCA (yellow, red, white) plugs on the other, just like what comes with your digicam.

The BoB from GPH has S-Video (not composite video, or in simple terms, not the yellow RCA socket) and stereo RCA sockets for left/right audio (the red and white RCA sockets).

TechFreak's mini BoB will apparently have a 3.5mm socket for composite video, left and right audio. This is similar to what most digicams have for connection to a TV. To use this, you will need a cable that has a three-contact 3.5mm jack on one end and three RCA (yellow, red, white) plugs on the other, just like what comes with your digicam.

What is wrong with there being an S-Video plug on the end of it? The way I see it you're actually getting a better deal, since you can convert and S-Video plug into a composite plug, but not the other way around.

Allan.

He wrote one message about a smaller BoB (the rest was speculation and unanswered questions, but your responses were probably the most informed of the lot) and nothing since. So until he resurfaces, it's vapourware.
Yeah, except this guy had actual hardware ready to go and let GPH go ahead, then realized their version would be awful for portability and decided to go ahead with a small version. I don't know what you mean by vapourware. Besides it is only a few wires, it is possible to make at home for $5, I have done it for the serial cable. Just need to connect and filter the USB, and wire the video to a 3.5mm jack and a pin for S-Video.
...and you would need a non-standard cable to connect it to anything.
I am so sorry, I didn't realize that 1 non-standard pin would kill a person [/sarcasm].

For just one single pin you can use a standard pin like those on a PC motherboard audio or USB header, that would be standard.

I don't fully understand what you mean by standard, how can one pin not be standard?

By the way, you do realize that we have to deal with 24-pin non-standard EXT connector right now?

I am talking about a single small pin and a regular 3.5mm phono style A/V cable providing Stereo, video and S-Video. It is a more intelligent idea than the 24-pin mess we now have and allows you to use cables you already own from a camcorder for basic video.

Add one pin and you get an S-Video signal, a special cable could be sold or you could make your own, because it uses a standard single pin.

What is wrong with there being an S-Video plug on the end of it? The way I see it you're actually getting a better deal, since you can convert and S-Video plug into a composite plug, but not the other way around.

Allan.

Nothing in theory, IF they include the adaptor with it. The real problem is the rest of the design, that thing will never leave your desk/TV area. It is far too large and the connection is another one of those EXT connectors, bad move. Add to that the full-size DB-25 Parallel for the Jtag and it isn't any good for me.

I think most of this stuff should have been on board the GP2X to start with, the only reason most people need this is the USB, it should have come on the GP2X, the TV should have been in the headphone socket, that is what is called proper engineering. Serial and Jtag could have stayed on the EXT and there would have been room for HDTV/Progressive scan RGB/VGA out (there is now if we lost the USB 1.1 Slave on the EXT right now :)), the Conexant chip fully supports it you know, it is just wasted right now.

Back