Usb Issue With Firmware 2.1.0

Mr. B

Still Fresh
Website
mrbsdomain.com
I recently recieved an e-mail from a GP2X retailer, I guess I bought mine from the guy...

Attention GP2X Customers,

We have recently installed GP2X Firmware Version 2.1.0 (released 10/23/2006) on three MK1 & MK2 GP2Xs with Firmware Version 2.0.0 and each one lost the ability to be detected by Windows XP when the USB port was activated on the GP2X. Therefore, we do not recommend our customers to install this firmware on their GP2X until a patch is available from Gamepark Holdings.

We have told our contacts at Gamepark Holdings about this issue and are awaiting a response.

As soon as Gamepark Holdings provides us with a workaround, we will share it with you.

Please let us know if you have any questions in the interim.

Thank you for your support,
Eric V. Horne

I haven't installed it myself but I was wondering if anyone on the board experienced this issue

I bought from them and received the same email today. However, I have already installed the latest firmware and usb connectivity works nice.

I have not heard this problem anywhere else, an since they have three different units which do not connect, I would say that they are not doing firmware upgrade completely.

That eBay seller might of done something wrong. However, from what I hear Firmware 2.1.0 isn't that good.

Keep Firmware 2.0 and use Gmenu2X, your GP2X will be a whole lot better B) And it doesn't edit the NAND, only the SD Card settings. So it doesn't damage your system. In the event that GMenu2X becomes corrupt or is giving you problems, remove your SD Card, and format the SD Card.

However, watchout with the Overclocking tool on Gmenu2x , you use the volume keys to increase or decrease it. If you press the - volume too much you might underclock your GP2X and it might not start out correctly, this can be fixed by pressing + a few more times until the normal level returns.

Good luck

GPM2k6 posted on Oct 29 2006 at 03:54 AM said:
That eBay seller might of done something wrong. However, from what I hear Firmware 2.1.0 isn't that good.

Keep Firmware 2.0 and use Gmenu2X, your GP2X will be a whole lot better B) And it doesn't edit the NAND, only the SD Card settings. So it doesn't damage your system. In the event that GMenu2X becomes corrupt or is giving you problems, remove your SD Card, and format the SD Card.

However, watchout with the Overclocking tool on Gmenu2x , you use the volume keys to increase or decrease it. If you press the - volume too much you might underclock your GP2X and it might not start out correctly, this can be fixed by pressing + a few more times until the normal level returns.

Good luck

I have 2.1.0 and GMenu2X and I'm having no problems at all. At first it froze when it launched, but I managed to fix that by just reinstalling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got that email and replied to them saying that either they are testing with the cables that came with the system (then it will fail under any firmware version) or their test is invalid in some other way. Of course I have not heard back from them yet.

i never connected my gp2x (fw2.0) to xp, i upgraded to 2.1, and xp found and connected no problems. made a skins dir on the nand and dropped some skins in...

no problems here...

(did not use cable that came with system, used my camera cable).

Just got this email message after my reply:
Hi Gary,

We found out the issue - operator error. We were installing the firmware without holding the Start+Select on boot up. One or two customers have also stated they are having problems with the USB cables - we will add a test for these to our standard QA procedure.

Thanks,
Eriic

Back