Gp2x Interlaced Screen

I always start to scream when I see a dead pixel, Im pixel hunter -.-
we together could be team geek or team hifi

Daikira posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
Ditto. I hate dead pixels. Luckily none of my devices have any. Though when I bought my Nintendo DS, my first and second unit had dead pixels. EB were good though and took them back till I got my current, perfect screen unit.

Does anyone have a GP32 or GP2X with dead pixels? ie. bought it like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh posted on Jul 24 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Ditto. I hate dead pixels. Luckily none of my devices have any. Though when I bought my Nintendo DS, my first and second unit had dead pixels. EB were good though and took them back till I got my current, perfect screen unit.

My GP32 had a stuck pixel (the blue triplet was stuck) in the bottom-right corner. My GP32 is dead now though.

slaanesh posted on Jul 25 2006 at 04:51 AM said:

No. I make the seller look for bad pixels before they send it :p I maybe they are good at finding bad pixels and didn't send me a unit with one, or I got lucky.

I do ask that if i did get one with bad pixel(s) if I can exchange it. If the answer is no I don't buy from them. I can see a bad pixel a mile away, I can even see them before you turn on the unit.. well maybe not quite.

As far as interlace the M2 is not bad, alot better than m1 I don't notice it being worse than any other display on other systems and is better than most. My Razr is bad and the giz has terrible interlace, the PSP is not bad but that display is too slow to show interlace if there was any.

slaanesh posted on Jul 24 2006 at 09:51 PM said:

My GP2X (Mk. II) has one annoying blue stuck pixel. :(

I have a tiny tiny piece of dust under my protector that somehow made it there after the protector was put on. After a few weeks it appeared, im afraid (too lazy?) to peel it off to duster it out.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 06:33 AM said:
That's odd, considering the human brain is only said to be capable of fully processing four frames per second.

There are many misconceptions around about that, but none of them state four frames, I think. It used to be 24 fps, and I refused to believe otherwise for a long time, but research has shown that a lot of people can actually tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, and even 60 and 100 fps. At 30 fps, it's smooth enough that you don't normally notice jitters, though.

In cinema, there's no need for more than 25 fps, because if you look at a shot with a lot of motion, it's mostly all blurred, and it's the motion blur that tricks us into believing that it couldn't be smoother.

4 frames per second? It's ridiculous. Do you know what 4 fps means? A human eye an capture more than 50fps. You can clearly see the difference between 50fps and 100fps motion. If you are fine with 4 fps why all those developers work for contant 60 fps? :p

Organic vision is a very complicated thing.

It doesn't take much of a FPS for us to perceive flowing rather than jerky movement. But the length of time, eg, a flash of light has to last for us to see it is very, very small.

And then you've got different parts of the eye working differently: Ever noticed how some monitors flicker when looked at out of the corner of your eye, but seem perfectly OK when looked at directly?

It's not possible to generalise and say "Human eyes work at X FPS" - you can do so for cameras, but not for eyes.

techFreak posted on Jul 25 2006 at 03:46 AM said:
4 frames per second? It's ridiculous. Do you know what 4 fps means? A human eye an capture more than 50fps. You can clearly see the difference between 50fps and 100fps motion. If you are fine with 4 fps why all those developers work for contant 60 fps? :p

I said four complete frames. That's four complete images. That means there are only four times in a second when the mind can pick out every detail within the range of sight. I learned this in my tenth grade science class.

blakespot posted on Jul 24 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
I've never seen an interlaced LCD screen before, but the GP2X MKII clearly has one.

What's that about? Power savings? Did the first edition have same?

blakespot
First edition had an interlaced screen, AFAIK it is just the way the LCD refreshes itself.

craigix posted on Jul 24 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
What? the MKII does not have an interlaced screen.
It does in fact have an interlaced screen, I only noticed it when I ran the LCD tweaker all the way to the right and it got weird and flickery on me, I moved it back to the left and it hasn't bothered me since.

So if blakespot can move it to the left a little maybe it won't bug him as much.

Back