Gp2x Is Definitely Worth Getting

deadlychicken22 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
pcklee123 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
I like the gp2x but i feel cheated cause:
It has 2 cpu cores but you can only use one of it.
actually, you can use both of them. They just haven't been used for anything productive YET.
It has 64M ram but you can only use half of it.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can use it all. Problem is, linux uses some of it (but it is still being used!)
It has USB2 but you can only use it with USB 1.1
Yeah, gamepark screwed up usb support on the gp32 as well, but an alternative program to run while connecting to usb fixed it. Hopefully this will happen for the gp2x as well.

Well right now there is a program that Gamepark Holdings is distributing called usb monitor. It might solve the USB detection problems that a lot of people are having. Go to http://www.gp2x.com to download it and give it a try. It might solve a lot of usb issues...

Last edited by a moderator:
What I think is crazy is that most people don't realise the nutty progress that has been made already.

If you look back at the GP32 it only really got going a year after it was relesed.

airwolf posted on Mar 18 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
GP2X is perfect for Genesis, except for that damn joystick.

so the most important part of the GP2 lets the emu down and yet you think it's perfect for Genesis.

:lol:

(naw)mcx posted on Mar 18 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
What games...?
Seaman
Sega Smashpack
NFL 2K1
Toy Commander
ReVolt
Skies of Arcadia
AeroWings
NBA 2K
Speed Devils
Demolition Racer

A bit more than 8 games I guess lol.

I also just bought Jet Set Radio and Sega GT for $8 shipped in total. I'm looking for the Shenmues and the Sonic Adventures, along with anything else that's good. Any offers, PM me :D

Sorry to get offtopic :)

airwolf posted on Mar 18 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
**CUT**
I have a PSP. 1.5 firmware. Run ISOs all the time...hehe. SNES runs just about perfect on the PSP now. NeoGeoCD is perfect...60fps w/sound. The only place where the GP2X beats it is Genesis/Megadrive and MAME and Atari 5200/7800...in terms of speaking only about emulation. GP2X is perfect for Genesis, except for that damn joystick. The screen is better than PSP too and better than my Sega Nomad even, but not the pad. I have great hopes for the GP2X though. My fingers are crossed.......

First of all, Sony sux if it comes to developing things. They hide their internals the best they can. GP2X it linux based and this opens a milion of possibilities, although calling it a gaming device is little too much. I think "developer-gamer device" would be more acurate. Anyway, as long as the glitches in gp2x are system based, we can fix it. in worst case one will have to jtag his unit, which is not THAT bad. With psp every app you will do without kissing Sony's ass will be not legal. That sucks...but mayby it's just me :)

I have a PSP. 1.5 firmware. Run ISOs all the time...hehe. SNES runs just about perfect on the PSP now. NeoGeoCD is perfect...60fps w/sound. The only place where the GP2X beats it is Genesis/Megadrive and MAME and Atari 5200/7800...in terms of speaking only about emulation.

It beats the PSP on NeoGeo emulation also. Pepone's GnGeo2X is an MVS emulator which means we get a much bigger catalogue of games, most of which run at close to full speed. If you want emulation, I don't see much reason to pick up a PSP anymore.

Huxley posted on Mar 18 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
... If you want emulation, I don't see much reason to pick up a PSP anymore.

SNES maybe, that is far better on the PSP and so is PC-engine. Hopefully the PC-engine will become as good someday on the gp2X.

DaveC posted on Mar 18 2006 at 11:45 AM said:
To me the stick is not THAT bad. It is not the best but it isn't unuseable. It was horrible with the stock cap so that may be part of the problem for those still using that. To those that have my cap, make sure it is installed low enough. If it is too high the dead zone will be too much.

Ya, but Dave, I think your stick needs to be revised a little.

First, the stick feels good, but the material used to make the stick still does not cut it for 'sticking' to your thumb for accurate movement. My thumb tends to move around somewhat inside the concave to much.

Second, there should be some sort of raised arrows or raised bumps for the NSEW cardinal directions. This would aid in getting a little more accurate feel on the thumbstick for trying to hit those all important directions for lots of games that need it. It would also assist us for trying to avoid diagonals when we dont want them to register.

Lastly, I did notice to install the stick a little lower, but if you do, the stick tends to hit the edges of the casing just below the stick. I think the thumb portion of the stick should have a smaller diameter. Thanks.

Poobik The Hare posted on Mar 18 2006 at 02:56 PM said:
GP2X is perfect for Genesis, except for that damn joystick.

so the most important part of the GP2 lets the emu down and yet you think it's perfect for Genesis.

:lol:

Perfect for Genesis in terms of speed. Gameplay is a different story. I made that clear as well. I love MAME and alot of the old school games are just about impossible to play because the cardinal directions are very hard to hit. You have to use the force to try and hit where you want without hitting diagonals, which is bad for games like Kangaroo, Pacman, and Frogger especially. Try it and you will see what I mean...

Huxley posted on Mar 18 2006 at 05:53 PM said:
I have a PSP. 1.5 firmware. Run ISOs all the time...hehe. SNES runs just about perfect on the PSP now. NeoGeoCD is perfect...60fps w/sound. The only place where the GP2X beats it is Genesis/Megadrive and MAME and Atari 5200/7800...in terms of speaking only about emulation.

It beats the PSP on NeoGeo emulation also. Pepone's GnGeo2X is an MVS emulator which means we get a much bigger catalogue of games, most of which run at close to full speed. If you want emulation, I don't see much reason to pick up a PSP anymore.

Wrong....PSP is so much better for Neo-GeoCD emulation. All the games run at 60FPS with high quality sound. Control is better to since you can use the D-pad or analog control. I modded my D-pad on my PSP since hitting diagonals was hard to do because the PSP D-pad in sunk to low into the unit. I just cut out around the bottom of the D-pad itself and cut out 3 equal sized pieces of duct-tape and stuck all three underneath (the actual plastic D-pad-not under the membrane) to raise the D-pad a bit and now the PSP D-pad is perfect for gaming and more accurate.

Gp2X, even overclocked, cannot get 60FPS w/44khz sound with all NeoGeo games. I notice hiccups here and there on almost all games. And the fact that the AES/MVS NeoGeo emu for Gp2X has more games is almost irrelevant because there was not that many good games that were released after the CD unit to make a difference.

airwolf posted on Mar 18 2006 at 10:52 PM said:

First, the stick feels good, but the material used to make the stick still does not cut it for 'sticking' to your thumb for accurate movement. My thumb tends to move around somewhat inside the concave to much.
Have you thought about spraying it with Plasti-Dip? I've contemplated it myself, and have a can of spray, I just haven't bothered since I really like the DaveC cap as it is, My thunb doesn't really slide around as much as I thought it would.

ingrin posted on Mar 19 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
airwolf posted on Mar 18 2006 at 10:52 PM said:

Have you thought about spraying it with Plasti-Dip? I've contemplated it myself, and have a can of spray, I just haven't bothered since I really like the DaveC cap as it is, My thunb doesn't really slide around as much as I thought it would.

Where can I find that product? Thanks.

airwolf posted on Mar 19 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
Where can I find that product? Thanks.
I got mine from Lowes (or maybe Home Depot) It was hanging out with specialty paint. I coated th orginal stick with it and it became a bit more 'grippy'. I'll experiment with my DaveC Cap and see how it works.

airwolf posted on Mar 19 2006 at 05:10 AM said:
Wrong....PSP is so much better for Neo-GeoCD emulation.

Gp2X, even overclocked, cannot get 60FPS w/44khz sound with all NeoGeo games. I notice hiccups here and there on almost all games. And the fact that the AES/MVS NeoGeo emu for Gp2X has more games is almost irrelevant because there was not that many good games that were released after the CD unit to make a difference.

Oh my god you couldn't be more wrong.

NeoGeo games NEVER released on CD: Blazing Star, Garou: Mark of the Wolves (best Neogeo game ever?), King of Fighters 2000-2003 (which includes 2002, arguably the best in the series), Magical Drop 3, Metal Slug X, 3, 4 & 5 (ooh..lots there!), Samurai Showdown 5, Rage of the Dragons, Shock Troopers 1 & 2, Sengoku 3, Strikers 1945, SNK Vs Capcom, Waku Waku 7 (my personal fave). If you know your Neo Geo games, you know some of those are amongst the finest titles available for the platform.

And the games exclusive to CD? Ooh...let's see now. Samurai Shodown RPG, which is only available in Japanese.

SNES maybe, that is far better on the PSP and so is PC-engine. Hopefully the PC-engine will become as good someday on the gp2X.

And SNES I think. There might be a slight problem with transparancies, but other than that I see no reason why the GP2X shouldn't be able to handle SNES at fullspeed.

How can anyone say the gp2x screen is better then the PSP?

PSP == Widescreen, high res, good quality

GP2x == 4:3 (not a bad thing), clear, but wavey lines / flickering...

I'll look at the psp lcd over the gp2x for long periods of time anyday.

And i still can't believe gamepark didn't give the gp2x a sleep function with a hardware switch/button =(

I think "better" means more suitable for emulation, which is true and undenayable.
As for the sleep...anyone there with a linux knowledge know how to implement this? I think that i've seen suspend to ram howtos concerning laptops mayby it's also possible here, although i'm a noob in this area. How about writing whole RAM to SD and making processor go into sleep state (flame me if i'm talking stupid)?

Polymira said:
How can anyone say the gp2x screen is better then the PSP?

PSP == Widescreen, high res, good quality

Widescreen is terrible for emulation. That, the ghosting, the awful controls, fiddly firmware hacking, and dreadful battery life kills it for me. At first I really liked it, but that "wow" factor has definitely worn off.

Any complaint about the GP2X (controls, screen, battery life), is MUCH worse on PSP.

Back