Worth Getting

jmetal88 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
Jaguarandine posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:05 AM said:
Lol, the page is down. But still, that thing's not a realistic option. It's a cool novelty item though. If you're looking for true portable PSX emulation, the PSP or GP2X is your best bet right now.

I didn't try it, but I doubt very much the page is down. Try removing that trailing slash. :rolleyes:
Yeah, sorry about that, it was late and I was tired. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
ste_167 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:02 AM said:
PSX rom sizes are also a downside. 4Gb SD card needed!
Yeah right. I have some on my 2GB SD (Ridge Racer is 3.75MB)

Winterkid posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:04 AM said:
Unless you get a break out box for the HD you'll need.
No, I built my own USB adaptor, no chance me spending $75 on that official BoB (it REQUIRES the official PSU, thus making it $50 + $25).

Jaguarandine posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:05 AM said:
Lol, the page is down. But still, that thing's not a realistic option. It's a cool novelty item though. If you're looking for true portable PSX emulation, the PSP or GP2X is your best bet right now.
Nice, how is it not realistic? It is the only way to actually play PSX games on the move.

Mark1970 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:16 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 16 2006 at 05:59 AM said:
THe guys from Bleem managed to get an machine-coded PSX emulator up and runnning on Windows95 and it only needed a 166Mhz Pentium MMX cpu. The ARM cpu is not as powerfull though.

I have the last version of Bleem ever released before they went out of business. It will not run on any Windows past 98, and you will not get decent speed on it unless your processor is over 300 mhz. Plus compatibility was pretty random.

Hmm, I personally would have pimped for the Connectix Virtual Gamestation instead of the ever-sucky Bleem.

No dont..psx emualtion is A boring, B pointless and C will never run as fast a normal PSX. Hense i dont know why the fuck anyone would get any pleasure out of seeing a game run at 10 fps.

The 2x is good for one thing MEGADRIVE.....everyhting else is shit.

Oh and did i mention that the joystick just fucks everything up so basically its not even worth trying to play any games on it.

Overall DO NOT BUY ONE....get a nintendo lite....awesome machine.

The 2x is poor poor poor.....most people here know it they just hate to admitt it.

A beta of bleem for dreamcast exists also. It is fullspeed fs0 but has bugs such as fmv not playing right and no saving data.

stepp posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:28 AM said:

I have lots of SNES games running fullspeed with sound, all the GB/GBC games I want fullspeed, not to mention homebrew like Noiz2sa.

stepp posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:28 PM said:
No dont..psx emualtion is A boring, B pointless and C will never run as fast a normal PSX. Hense i dont know why the fuck anyone would get any pleasure out of seeing a game run at 10 fps.

Oh and did i mention that the joystick just fucks everything up so basically its not even worth trying to play any games on it.

The 2x is poor poor poor.....most people here know it they just hate to admitt it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I hate my gp2x, I just never stop playing it for some reason, I'm sure you're right though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And to get back on topic: Don't buy a GP2X just for PSX emulation, maybe have another look in a years time or so.

stepp posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:28 PM said:

GTFO already and take your buttbuddy Jaqms with you.

nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 10:55 AM said:
Nice, how is it not realistic? It is the only way to actually play PSX games on the move.

You're right. But is it practical? Is it safe for psx games? It's pretty expensive as well. I think only a hardcore enthusiast or collector would get one.

I didn't mean to sound insulting if that's how it came out.

Jaguarandine posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:42 PM said:

You're right. But is it practical? Is it safe for psx games? It's pretty expensive as well. I think only a hardcore enthusiast or collector would get one.

I don't know from practical, he has more than one version and while you are about it add a mod-chip to enable it to play a copy and keep your original safe at home.

I just meant it is the only way to do PSX and actually play it. (I only play PSX on my PC, but even ePSXe is not fully compatible, I have never had Vigilante 8:Second Offense running properly on an emulator.)

I would build my own of course, not paying him for that, it is only $20 for a PSOne mini anyways.

Just get a screen and a battery pack and you are set, put it in a small case and go.

Another thought might be to get one and try it out, then you will know exactly the capability of the machine.

An interesting thought to make it smaller would be to make the games small enough to put on a mini-CD, that is 210MB and many games fit on that if you give up cinematics or Redbook audio.

To go all the way I would use a mini-DVD at 1.5GB and any game would fit, but that would be engineering a Portable Playstation (PPS) and Would be very very cool, if difficult and pointless.

nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 05:58 PM said:
Jaguarandine posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:42 PM said:

I don't know from practical, he has more than one version and while you are about it add a mod-chip to enable it to play a copy and keep your original safe at home.

I just meant it is the only way to do PSX and actually play it. (I only play PSX on my PC, but even ePSXe is not fully compatible, I have never had Vigilante 8:Second Offense running properly on an emulator.)

I would build my own of course, not paying him for that, it is only $20 for a PSOne mini anyways.

Just get a screen and a battery pack and you are set, put it in a small case and go.

Another thought might be to get one and try it out, then you will know exactly the capability of the machine.

An interesting thought to make it smaller would be to make the games small enough to put on a mini-CD, that is 210MB and many games fit on that if you give up cinematics or Redbook audio.

To go all the way I would use a mini-DVD at 1.5GB and any game would fit, but that would be engineering a Portable Playstation (PPS) and Would be very very cool, if difficult and pointless.

What would be a lot more portable was if somehow we have full access the the PS1-on-chip the PS2 has, strip all that would not be required to run PS1 games, slap on a battery system, slap on an LCD, and either hack it so it can run ISO/BIN/whatever images from whatever medium you want or get a CD-ROM reader in there to do this.

But I doubt it would be that simple anyway...

or... you could pick up a 1.2Ghz nano ITX Epia from via, throw in 512MB ram, a 4GB microdrive, linux, an LCD and battery pack, get a USB playstation controller and vola, portable, powerfull, sadly it would cost over 500$.

nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:55 PM said:

You consistantly talk sense, so I stand corrected! :)

kajuberdut posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
or... you could pick up a 1.2Ghz nano ITX Epia from via, throw in 512MB ram, a 4GB microdrive, linux, an LCD and battery pack, get a USB playstation controller and vola, portable, powerfull, sadly it would cost over 500$.
No. The Via processors are not entirely compatible with the Intel or AMD CPUs, I built two and was sadly dissapointed. They are OK for webservers and email checking and such, but for an emulator they suck.

I would use the GeodeNX processor from AMD and put it on a Mini-ITX board, that way I am assured of AMD K7 full-compatibility.

(Either of these ideas is harder and more expensive, not to mention larger, than just doing the benheck.com PSOne portable, he has several options and Ideas, if you do the work yourself it is less than $150(Edit: maybe not, but still it will be fully compatible) and it should be just fine.)

ste_167 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:13 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:55 PM said:

You consistantly talk sense, so I stand corrected! :)
No problem, most of my games go to 200MB or 100MB though. Usually under 300MB.

Shikaku posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
What would be a lot more portable was if somehow we have full access the the PS1-on-chip the PS2 has, strip all that would not be required to run PS1 games, slap on a battery system, slap on an LCD, and either hack it so it can run ISO/BIN/whatever images from whatever medium you want or get a CD-ROM reader in there to do this.

But I doubt it would be that simple anyway...
I didn't know that it had a PS1 on a chip in it.

That is very cool if it does, in which case I don't see why sony hasn't made a handheld "CD player" style PSOne yet.

Here is a link to the Benjamin J. Heckendorn PSOne set-up, I think it is sweet, even If I have yet to build one.

CNC Machined case
Handmade case

I like the idea and it should be made by Sony, knowing them it would have a ton of dead pixels though :). And the laser would die in no time flat.

I found the right link finally:
How-to guide on building the PSOne portable.

Damn forum bugs (or maybe my browser)

http://www.benheck.com/Games/Sony_projects...%20page%201.htm

Back