Gp2x Mk2 Review (gamershell.com)

eez0000

Still Fresh
gp2xax3.jpg

The GP2X mk2 is a hand held console made by a company named GamePark Holdings. Admittedly the GP2X has been on the market for a while, but the recently released mk2 fixes many of the less than ideal issues and generally improves things like battery life and so on. This is quite a fun gadget and should be interesting to just about anyone who likes to tinker a little.

Source: http://gamershell.com/
Review: http://www.gamershell.com/articles/1012.html

It was an interesting review. Only one error, aren't the processors 2 different things, not dual core?

PSyMastR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:14 AM said:
It was an interesting review. Only one error, aren't the processors 2 different things, not dual core?
its two different chips, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best independant reviews I've seen and its on the ball.

I use gamershell a lot for new pc demos, excellent site. They have a nice selection of free games too, check 'em out! :D

Redeeman posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
PSyMastR posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:14 AM said:
its two different chips, yes.

No it's one chip, the MagicEyes MP2520F - but with 2 CPU cores inside - the ARM920T and ARM940.
As dual core means 2 CPUs on one chip this is an accurate description of the GP2X.

Not a very comprehensive review. The review is fine, but it needs to be longer to be of any use to the prospective buyer. Or to give you any kind of idea of what the Gp2x can do.

In the beginning of the article they nailed it by saying that it should appeal to those who like to tinker. In the end of the article they made the common mistake of saying the primary appeal is programmers.

It requires no programming skill whatsoever. The target is the typical PC user who loves retro games and emulation. It takes pretty much the same effort to get this going as typical pc emulators (well maybe a little more - but it won't be tricky for anyone who's tracked down a neo-geo bios or gathered up a sizable rom collection). And those who won't like it are modern console gamers with little interest in retro gaming, and little patience for tinkering.

markiej posted on Oct 25 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
In the beginning of the article they nailed it by saying that it should appeal to those who like to tinker. In the end of the article they made the common mistake of saying the primary appeal is programmers.

It requires no programming skill whatsoever. The target is the typical PC user who loves retro games and emulation. It takes pretty much the same effort to get this going as typical pc emulators (well maybe a little more - but it won't be tricky for anyone who's tracked down a neo-geo bios or gathered up a sizable rom collection). And those who won't like it are modern console gamers with little interest in retro gaming, and little patience for tinkering.

Couldnt agree more, I have no programming skill whatsoever, yet I believe that I utalise my 2x to the full, in fact I use it every day mostly for emulation and homebrew, and very very rarly have a problem in getting anything to run. :)

Back