Gp2x-msx: Msx Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xmsx-snap-v1.0.1.jpg

fMSX is a famous emulator of the MSX, MSX2, and MSX2+ 8bit home computers.
It runs MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ software on many different platforms including Windows and Unix.
See http://fms.komkon.org/fMSX/ for further informations.

It has been first written by Marat Fayzullin, and later Vincent van Dam ported it on SDL.

Here is a port on GP2X of the version 2.7.0.40 of fMSX-SDL from Vincent van Dam
that i had previously ported to PSP.
[cut]
How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

It's distributed under Marat Fayzullin's license for the original MSX part,
and under GNU license for all the GP2X part.

Here is a full working binary version :
msx-v1.0.1-bin.zip

Enjoy, :)

Zx.[/cut]

Great I will test this one for sure.

Making your own keymappings was something I was eagerly waiting for. Now I can finally play games like loderunner and rollerball

I will post my findings in this topic.

Keep up the good work. :D

purple_goat said:
will this emu see roms?
:lol: (last MSX one didn't)

thanks
It works with Rom and Disk ... I've played snatcher with it few hours ago :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn... now I'm gonna have to look into MSX now. Still downloading for your Intellivision emulator ATM ;-) I see that some of the games on the Aquarius system were ports from the Intellivision, so I'm excited about that. Definetely vote you for guru status.

Reap

Superb. Wonderful. Amazing. Excellent. One of the key reasons I bought the GP2X was in the hope that someone would write/port an MSX emulator before long. And they did, but it was too limited in the keyboard (but was a great start). But now we have this - a keyboard setting utopia. First time for me to see this style of virutal keyboard - looks like it might be pretty fast when I get used to it.

As a sidenote - So far as I know the emulator itself is from the same code as the previous GP2X MSX emulators, so I don't believe there'll be much in the way of compatibility changes over the others (certainly, I'm still seeing the same problems as before). Though most of the stuff I want to run works without problem.

Wonderful job.

It indeed has some compatibility issues, but there are lots of great games that will run full speed and flawless. I like the interface and the features. It looks like zx uses the same gui for all his emus and games, I like that.

Still testing :)

your porting speed makes me dizzy. and your enthusiasm makes me sick. i salute you... definately guru status.

Quick question: Does this emu support keyboard, mouse and tv out without any problems? my first computer was an MSX, which is 4 steps away from me btw :D

Great stuff. Just trying a few games out.

I've found that playing Gradius 3/Nemesis 3 by ship gets "stuck" sometimes. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the original game or if it's the emulator.

The problem occurs when I push the joystick in a direction and then it suddenly stops moving, although I am still pushing in that direction. To get it moving again I have to let go of the joystick and push in that direction again.

Any ideas?

No my GP2X is clean. And it certainly doesn't happen on other emulators/games.

It happens on other MSX games too. I tried 1942 and Nemesis 2. All have similar effects.
It's not continuously like that, just now and then.

If it's emulating keyboard presses, it might just be you can't press several keys at once. This can happen with cheaper keyboards on older systems?

slaanesh said:
No my GP2X is clean. And it certainly doesn't happen on other emulators/games.

It happens on other MSX games too. I tried 1942 and Nemesis 2. All have similar effects.
It's not continuously like that, just now and then.

If it's emulating keyboard presses, it might just be you can't press several keys at once. This can happen with cheaper keyboards on older systems?
It should be a bug, i will fix it ;) ...

Sorry about this if I sound like a noob, but how exactly do you get .dsk images to work? I know you must use "load disk". I've gotten games to boot up this way, but they usually freeze. They say something in Japanese, or say "insert sound cartridge". Also, how do games that have multiple disks work? Finally, is it worth it to play games on disk or should I just stick with roms? Thanks.

The first port of the fmasx had this problem with the joystick: No diagonals.

If you have a look at that it will be good. :)

Cheers

----------------------------------------CPS2X-----------------------------------------

Hey now that u are going to have a look at that and you are porting a CRAZY LOT of stuff maybe u can have a look at the emulator of cps2x., I cant compile it so I cant fix it.

It has a really annoying bug that when u draw a non-clockwise circle with your joystick: right, then top-right, then top, then ,top-left, then left, then bottom-left, then bottom, then bottom-right, it doesnt work if u press right and it gets stuck. (Try playing marx matrix :))

Cheers mate! :D

Are you rlyeh? ;)

Back