Gp2x On G@mers

What i was meaning is, i want to see if the guys who are making the GPX2 what it is are going to jump ship.

If they start coding for the XGp then i would much rather go for that. I am not bothered about emus etc as i have my GP32 and Gizmondo.

From what I understand of British law, this whole thing is very legally hazaardous. If the two people who went on the show are not being truthful about the abilities of 2X, that could be considered either false advertising OR slander if something is said to make the 2X seem less than what it is. These two reps should be tracked down and identified as soon as possible, so we can determine how much about the 2X they actually know.

First of all i suggest you watch it before commenting, two people did not go on the show, they were there to check that the information which was said on the show was accurate, just the same as Microsoft did the previous week when they did a feature on setting up Xbox Live.

As i understand it (which is a lot more than you do) nobody set out to lie. Everything that was reported was understood to be correct and it’s just stupid to think that a lawsuit is possible. What sort of message will that send out to the public? Let alone anybody wanting to feature the GP2X would be very put off. How many gaming reviews have you seen with inaccurate information in them? Loads, how many lawsuits none. Let alone they would not have a legal leg to stand on.

If the show is aired as-is, not only would it be either defaming or possiblly false advertising the GP2X system, but GPH could have a pretty good lawsuit on their hands, especially if the producers of the show KNOW about the inaccuracies before the show aired.

Its clear from your comments that you have not seen the show, whos interests would it be in for anybody to knowingly make up information? Also the show aired on Tuesday unless you have a time machine you can't go back and stop it from happening.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suggest a new segment/interview with someone who actually knows what the hell they were talking about. The only other option is to let either Craig or Evildragon watch the interview in question to see how much damage would actually be done on all sides.

From his comments in this thread (which you have clearly not read, Craig indicates he has seen the feature). I will say this one last time only....

Craig was given the chance to do the feature but for whatever reasons (which i do not know) he declined.

With g@mers not knowing a lot about the console a relacement had to be found.

This is the last time i am going to post on the subject here as it is just getting stupid now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to many mainstream handheld devices, the GP2X is still relatively young and unknown, be thankful that reviews, articles, and write-ups are starting to surface at all. As it's popularity continues to grow, you can bet it'll get more coverage, so don't get annoyed by one in particular, as there are plenty more on the way i'm sure.

I stand QUITE corrected, then.

Firstly, I mostly skimmed the topic, to get the general idea of the post, and much ado was made about "2 guys", which is what through me.
Secondly I never said I saw the clip. I'd read in the past messages somehow that the clip was abandoned, and it was going to be considered to air.

I, just now, watched the segment, and a lot of what was said was in fact, true. So I was wrong in that sense.

He said a few things that could detract from the actual purpose of what the GP2X is really for, but nothing astronomically full of it.

Only slight concerns I would think:

I don't agree that it's only for developers.
I don't agree that the GP2X can't be a serious work/business app. tool.
They showed Doom and Duke 3D running without indicating it needs the data files from the shareware/full game.
They said something to the effect of running the same games as PC and Mac? That should have a bit more clarification.
He mentioned the words EMULATOR and ROMS outright
He didn't mention the fact that you have to "rip" the movies from DVD, or encode them on your computer first.
The words "crazy community" by which I can assume he meant us and the other forums, would seem to imply that we're only a small bunch of programmers and not serious about gaming.
They said the device runs on linux, but they didn't say that you don't need to KNOW Linux in order to play with the 2X.

Other that that, it wasn't so bad.

Thank you for the clip, Orkie

Winterkid, that's being a bit nitpicky - ;)

Some of the points they mentioned are bound to entice some people.

He said a few things that could detract from the actual purpose of what the GP2X is really for, but nothing astronomically full of it.

Only slight concerns I would think:

I don't agree that it's only for developers.
I don't agree that the GP2X can't be a serious work/business app. tool.
They showed Doom and Duke 3D running without indicating it needs the data files from the shareware/full game.
They said something to the effect of running the same games as PC and Mac? That should have a bit more clarification.
He mentioned the words EMULATOR and ROMS outright
He didn't mention the fact that you have to "rip" the movies from DVD, or encode them on your computer first.
The words "crazy community" by which I can assume he meant us and the other forums, would seem to imply that we're only a small bunch of programmers and not serious about gaming.
They said the device runs on linux, but they didn't say that you don't need to KNOW Linux in order to play with the 2X.

Other that that, it wasn't so bad.

Thank you for the clip, Orkie

I agree its not only for developers, maybe he should have said a lot of the users also code for the system.
I don't think the GP2X will ever be a serious business tool
They did mention you have to own the games to run them
So what if he said roms and emulator, neither are illegal to talk about. Its not like they said you dont have to pay for any mega drive games you can just down load them from ....
I would say this is a small community i don't know where you got the not serious about gaming comment from.
Your last comment is rubbish you don't need to know Linux to play with a 2X i have played on a mates console and i have no clue about Linux.

Seams to me people are starting to blow things out of all proportion , its like when somebody tells a small lie and it gets passed round the school playground.

I know how much the console means to the community but these comments like lawsuits etc are starting to make you look bad.

The producer of the show is off on holiday this week and if his stand in (who happens to own the channel) gets wind of this topic or any suggestion of lawsuit they will ditch everything GP2X related, i am not justtalking about the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the segment and I don't really see the problem, to be honest. Jono was portrayed just as some guy who was interested in the GP2X, rather than as a GPH employee or whatever, and gave his honest opinion and view on the machine. It never came across (to me, anyway) as a factual review of the unit.

That said, the implications that it would 'run Mac and PC stuff' and that MAME would run SNES games were a bit...strange. Oh well, I look forward to seeing the actual review :D

That wasn't bad at all! The male host was a little ill-informed, especially the comment about it running PC and Mac software (I'll buy that he meant ports, but it sounded -urk-), but the guy they interviewed was pretty positive. For a short interview snippet, you couldn't expect a whole lot more.

The criticisms about them pushing making games over playing them is completely valid, however it's pretty obvious that you get to play all those games that are made :) And they showed footage of Doom, Nukem, etc to make it clear there was some fine playing to be done. I wish they were allowed to show some emus running (not just a menu), and maybe some real homebrew like Vektar -- but I guess the review will show some things like that?

Alright, I don't like it when I admit I'm wrong and I still get crap for it.

I said I was quite wrong, and then I took the time to WATCH the clip, and I made a couple observations and once again I get told off. In my second post, I did NOT say lawsuit, those points were just things I thought might be a bit inaccurate, and suddenly I'm blowing things out of proportion.

Well, since the show's already aired, as you said, it's too late to do anything about that anyway. In the future, I'll try to be a bit more cautious in what I post in reply when your involved in the conversation. I don't want to say anything else to offend or shock or frighten you.

If I'd watched the clip and had never heard of the GP2X, I'd be searching the WWW right about now to find out more.

Ok, there were some inaccuracies in the interview, but I don't see how sales would be hurt by it. Considering the short slot allocated to the review, I'd say this should be looked upon favourably as anyone watching who's in the market for a new handheld would probably be curious.

I can't see what all the fuss is about.

None of the information was downright wrong, that is true. I just dislike the way that the GP2X is portrayed.

Any publicity is good publicity :)

If I'd watched the clip and had never heard of the GP2X, I'd be searching the WWW right about now to find out more.

Ok, there were some inaccuracies in the interview, but I don't see how sales would be hurt by it. Considering the short slot allocated to the review, I'd say this should be looked upon favourably as anyone watching who's in the market for a new handheld would probably be curious.

I can't see what all the fuss is about.

My thoughts entirely. Unlike us, most people have never heard of gp32/gp2x and hence this was a good introduction. The description that it was more for writing than playing games was a bit odd - but lets face it, running and installing games *isn't* for non-technical types. Pretending that it is will cause more problems as will lead to a backlash.

And lets be honest, they were correct about it not being a serious business tool. It may be possible to run PDA apps, which will be cool, but its not quite the same thing.

I think the interview was fine - if I didn't have one I'd now be looking for one.

At first I was a little offended by the 'crazy community', but in retrospect I have to admit that he is probably correct. :D :D

Mr Mole - pls pass on to the producer when you see/speak to him that not all the community were offended and many thought the piece was perfectly a good introducer. I'm sure that many would be happy to check if he has any specific questions / facts to be checked in the future - (if he hasn't binned the sample...)

Just watched their review, and I must say it was rather OK. They didn't talk much about anything homebrewy, mainly about video and pictures, but you can't have everything.

However, they did say it was available in white.

Oh man, i was laughing so hard watching that video. it's so strange seeing real-life people talk seriously about the 2X, i nearly pissed my pants.

I dont think it was as bad as people originally made it out to be, but there where some errors..like playing SNES via MAME?

Back