Gp2x Or Psp

everyone always mentions that SNES emulation isnt full speed yet i have never had a problem with SquidgeSNES. i think i had had one ROM which only ran full speed with sound turned off but all other ROMS work perfect with sound on

Except that all transparencies don't work and the sound is stuttery. SNES is far from near perfect yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn i didn't know that 2.0 was out, after upgrade its WAY better! you dont have to resort to name calling though, we're all friends here.

Count me in as another soon to be GP2X owner! I bought a used one from a member of this board. I've got a PSP and DS, which are both great, but I'm tired of the PSP firmware game to play homebrew. I understand why they need to protect their investment and I'm cool with that... So, GP2X here I come!

It was the official gp2x screen protector. I bought it not realizing the gp2x has one pre-enstalled. I almost changed my order, but then I decided(like you said) it would be good to have an extra
Actually, I think the screen protector you order isn't the one included with the gp2x. The one included with the gp2x is a hard plastic cover that all game machines have over their screens to protect them. On top of this, they have a thin screen protector, but it is not very durable and it comes pre-scratched (it is intended to prevent the more premanent parts from coming pre-scratched). So you should take off their thin screen protector film and put the one you ordered on. I have exactly the same thing.

I am glad to hear that. I felt like I was wasting 5 bucks, but you made it better. Thanks.

Wow! 145 posts...Lets go for 150! :D

It's nice, just what I had expected. Still waiting for 4gb. Having issues with battery though.
I bought eight 2500mah AA's and any pair died instantly when I tried to use them. I had to put them all through the charger and then I got hours and hours (>4) of playtime, by my best estimations, while running at 280MHz (which actually doesn't affect much).

And don't buy rechargables with exagerated mAh values like 2900, there's black stuff coming out of mine right now...

2500 is a good value.

Well I spent 6$ on a screen protecter. I wiped all the dust off, slowly put it on, then found a huge hair right in the middle of the screen. So I totaly screwed it up. I had to take the screen protecter off and throw it away. What a waste, 6$ is alot to a kid like me. Also did the same thing to another screen protecter with another gadget, like a month ago and the same for another nother one 2 months ago. I give up! Screen protecters....they hate me.

It's nice, just what I had expected. Still waiting for 4gb. Having issues with battery though.
I bought eight 2500mah AA's and any pair died instantly when I tried to use them. I had to put them all through the charger and then I got hours and hours (>4) of playtime, by my best estimations, while running at 280MHz (which actually doesn't affect much).

NiMH Batteries do not come charged, the charging is a required process for them.

Well I spent 6$ on a screen protecter. I wiped all the dust off, slowly put it on, then found a huge hair right in the middle of the screen. So I totaly screwed it up. I had to take the screen protecter off and throw it away. What a waste, 6$ is alot to a kid like me. Also did the same thing to another screen protecter with another gadget, like a month ago and the same for another nother one 2 months ago. I give up! Screen protecters....they hate me.
Why did you throw it away? And try putting a bright picture on the screen, it will backlight the fibers and such.

I assume you mean a "tape" or "film" style one, I wouldn't bother, the screen does not scratch that easy and the replacements are only $10 on the way outside chance you drop it on sharp rocks.

NiMH Batteries do not come charged, the charging is a required process for them.

thats not completely true. i had several ones that came precharged (around half the full capacity)

i paid 173 euros for my gp2x (223 dollars or something - i love the euro ;P) with fast dhl shipping from lik-sang
awaiting my package from hong-kong

I own a (pink )DS, a PSP, and a GP2X, and I love them (almost )equally.
I will try to point out as many as I can of the positive sides of my machines.

My PSP:
My first seventh-generation handheld. I really think this thing is beautiful. I own a 2 gig and a 512 gig stick. Sony have permanently banned all significant homebrew in recent firmwares. Modchipped or old PSP is required to run homebrew.

The screen is really nice for 3D games(the "ghosting" actually makes many games look better), but not for 2D gaming. I used this machine as a emulator device for some time, but I upgraded. The viewing angle is great. It has an analog stick which is nice, but the D-pad has trouble facing diagonally.
It is about 30 grams heavier than the DS.

I use it as a multimedia device because:
- It has a remote.
- Easier to convert(PSPvideo9)/download(Google video...) movies for it at this point.
- Better placement of headphone port, so you can stick it in your pocket without worrying about breaking the stereo jack.
- I own a nice speaker add-on.
- The screen is big.
I know there are downsides too. I also see that you own a multimedia device so this should not appeal to you.

It boots fast. The UMDs can be a bit slow at times, but it has a hibernation mode. Just pull the power switch and it saves all essential data, so that you will resume where you stopped playing when you turn it back on. This can be unstable though. I reccommend you pause the game before doing it. There are enough good commercial games to keep me satisfied, but this costs money.

Conclusion: My PSP is not for you.

My DS:
My second seventh-ganeration handheld. The pink color is symbolic. Getting storage and utilities for this device is hard.

The DS folds together, so that the screens are protected. But if you look at the screens from the side, below, or above you won't see a thing. Only one person at the time can see what's going on. Also, you can see the space between the pixels. But the screens are sufficiently bright and clear. The touch screen and microphone gimmicks are allright.
The speakers are a tiny bit louder than the PSP's speakers. It is a bit larger, and has longer battery life than the PSP.

It is not a multimedia device. Running homebrew is not easy, nor worth it. You need to buy games( or an expensive semi-illegal RW cartridge and launcher card) to do anything, and this costs money. I do not think that the games are that good, but this is personal.

Conclusion: My DS is not for you.

My GP2X:
My third seventh-generation handheld. I got it not long ago. Cheap SD card storage lets you save and run anything. The machine is all about homebrew, so essentially this is a super-portable linux PC. This is a one-time investment. Get the console and storage and you won't have to buy anything else.

The screen is nice. Nice viewing from any significant angle. Nice resolution. Bright, clear, and good size.
The speakers are relatively silent. It uses AA batteries, which can be aquired anywhere. Rechargables recommended. Smaller and much lighter than the others. TV-out can be enabled without big investments.

The GP2X can play almost any format, as long as someone bothers with making a player. It emulates any old machine well.

Get a GP2X:
- If you're poor
- If you're not interested in new fancy 3D games
- If you want good homebrew

You seem to fit nicely for all these, so get it.

Back