Gp2x Passwor Protect

dontspam

Still Fresh
Hello, is there any way to password protect my gp2x? Like, a startup script or something? Thanks.

sam fisher said:
Not easily, you cannot just place such a thing in the autorun.gpe as that would be easily bypassed by deleting that file.
if it was put on the nand it would be harder to delete. it would be a nice feature, my brother is always stealing my 2x and putting his greasy finger prints all over it. perhaps a something open2x could include.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then how do people run Gmenu2X from NAND? They still have an autorun.gpe on each SD?

Autoruns can be disabled by holding start+select at startup anyway, but a grabby newb wouldn't know that ;)

sam fisher said:
autorun.gpe cannot be run from the nand, it only runs from the SD.
that's strange, because I couldn't get mine to autorun the SD, only the nand

No matter what you do, you'll always be able to reflash the firmware or use the serial command line to get around it.

Japa said:
sam fisher said:
autorun.gpe cannot be run from the nand, it only runs from the SD.
that's strange, because I couldn't get mine to autorun the SD, only the nand

It CAN be on the NAND, it's just easier to put it on the SD and easier to disable GMenu2X using your SD cards as a "key".

As said it can be bypassed by just pressing start and select so as a password option it's ok in order to prevent access to those that wouldn't know that...

Oi! I decided to register! :D I can't believe so many people replied already.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's on the SD card. I want to password-protect it so that my brother may not use it. So it won't need to be in the NAND, and he won't be flashing the firmware or holding select and start to get around it (at least I hope not :blink: ).

It can be pretty basic, maybe having an onscreen keyboard or having to push the joystick in certain directions in a certain order.

I just have no idea where to start.

Well I guess someone could write you an app that just waits until someone delivers the required input. And then have the script load GP2XMenu after that application terminates. But the problem is that I think GP2x menu then launches the autorun again. Or atleast it used to, has that problem been fixed yet?

sam fisher said:
Well I guess someone could write you an app that just waits until someone delivers the required input. And then have the script load GP2XMenu after that application terminates. But the problem is that I think GP2x menu then launches the autorun again. Or atleast it used to, has that problem been fixed yet?
CODE
./gp2xmenu --disable-autorun

is what you want

Back