Gp2x Sd Card

skerbeck

Still Fresh
Hi, could anyone please help. I have tried everything to get an SD card working on my new GP2X but couldn't.

I have a 2GB card and I formatted FAT32, and FAT but everytime I insert it into the GP2X the start screen appears then it crashes. It works when I take the SD card out. Also, I noticed, when I put the SD card in it drains the batteries in seconds (colud be a coincidence). I tried a 256 MB SD card and the same thing happens.

My GP2X is 3 days old part of the Value Pak with firmware 3.0. Any help would be great.

Sam

Shine a light into the slot, you will be able to see if any pins are bent back.

I looked in the slot and there is something wrong. Not the pins but the eject mechanism, which has now fallen out completely. Thank you both for your help. It was driving me crazy and I think you have pin pointed the problem. I'm not sure what to do now! I was so looking forward to being part of the GP2X group.

Sam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest, do your batteries last OK when you are playing your GP2X's built in games (without SD card inserted)?

Out of interest, do your batteries last OK when you are playing your GP2X's built in games (without SD card inserted)?

The built in games chew batteries like mad, I'm shocked at the lifespan. I hardly played for any length of time and had to replace quiet a few batteries in a short time.

I assume you are using 2500mAH or higher rechargeable batteries? The batteries last an ok length of time if they are good batteries.

My 2000mAH batteries only last a few minutes.

thats interesting im using 2 year old 2000mAH rechargeables and they last for 4-5 hours :blink: oh well guess im lucky :)

thats interesting im using 2 year old 2000mAH rechargeables and they last for 4-5 hours :blink: oh well guess im lucky :)

Yeah I am not sure if mine are incompatible with my charger or simply a bad brand (they are claimed to be 15 min quick charge and may have a proprietary charge system or something). It's good to hear that not all 2000mAH are a waste of time.

Thank you all for help. I will return my GP2X. I think you guys are right, it must be the slot. I wish I asked here first, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

One very silly question: does the batteries get charged if the GP2X is plugged into the mains or you need a seperate charger.

Sam

I'm now sending my GP2X back because of the SD slot problem.

I'd like to get a new one quickly, but the quickest GP2X has firmware 2. I had firmware 3. on the one I'm sending (part of the value pak). Would I be loosing out if I don't get the one with firmware 3. and drop to 2?

Thanks.

Firmware 3 looks nice, but I heard that v3 has a much longer boot up time than v2. Not good.

As mentioned in a previous post, you can skin firmware 2 to look the same as firmware 3 anyway (or even perhaps choose another skin you like more). This way you get the best of both worlds.

The only disadvantage of a non value pack GP2X would be the lack of games installed on the NAND memory. You will have to download and install these manually if you want them on your device.

Back