Gp2x User Guide Preview Release

New version of the guide uploaded at http://www.emuholic.com/GP2XUserGuide.pdf. I fixed all the reported mistakes (thanks everyone that reported them!) and started work on the Troubleshooting section and wrote the Firmware flashing/software update section.

The Troubleshooting section isnt complete and only contains a few problems, if you have any suggestions on what to add here please let me know.

Not sure when the gp2x development introduction will be written, things are currently always changing so not sure how useful this will be at the moment. I will look into this later today.

I will add some more info on the GP2X Information section next. I want to add a picture of the GP2X with labels to show each button, location of headphone/usb/power port etc.

A few people were interested in writing a video encoding guide. If you are still interested please write one and post it here or email it to me at guyfawkes@NOSPAMgbaemu.com and I will check them out and pick the best ones or include them all if needed. The guides should be in a step by step format and if necessary explain with screenshots etc.

As always, any feedback or help with the guide is appreciated.

quick update about the development part of the guide. i got devkitgp2x and sdl working earlier today and wrote a very quick guide at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=304861 i will write a proper guide later on tonight and add it to the user guide.

i also updated the gp2x information section with some photos of the gp2x showing where everything is.

in the next day or two i will finish everything else and get it ready for a proper release :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Useful to know that currently there is NO MPG support in the movie player (no, using an AVI container doesn't work - renaming the MPG to AVI doesn't work). So, you may want to remove that until we get something official on the MPG thing.

I can also tell you that XVID codec appears to work fine (forget DivX - evil :) ) with the OCCASSIONAL stutter with high motion with high bitrates. Converting DVD to XVID with AutoGK appears to work fine too.

I've tested PSP formatted video (doesn't work) and pure MPG4 (didn't work).

Useful to know that currently there is NO MPG support in the movie player (no, using an AVI container doesn't work - renaming the MPG to AVI doesn't work). So, you may want to remove that until we get something official on the MPG thing.

I can also tell you that XVID codec appears to work fine (forget DivX - evil :) ) with the OCCASSIONAL stutter with high motion with high bitrates. Converting DVD to XVID with AutoGK appears to work fine too.

I've tested PSP formatted video (doesn't work) and pure MPG4 (didn't work).

In AutoGK are you useing VBR for the audio? I think I heard that VBR may cause the audio sync problems. Not real excited about the prospect of encoding all my videos again. UGH!

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2X User Guide is now updated and online at http://www.emuholic.com/GP2XUserGuide.pdf. It contains a first version of the devlopment introduction which explains how to set things up for devkitgp2x and sdl. Let me know how it works for you.

I also updated the gp2x information section, i need to redo the gp2x images as the text is a bit blurry.

also good news, gph want to include this guide with the gp2x and a few stores have shown interest in distributing the guide with their gp2xs.

Back