Gp2x Value Pack Launched!

Cheezer

Still Fresh
Gamepark Holdings has launched its newest product, the “GP2X Value Pack.”

The GP2X Value Pack includes 5 games in the internal memory, over 20 games in the

included CD plus bundled accessories for your GP2X!

GP2X Value Pack version also has a brand new user interface, including video tutorials for new users.

GP2X Value Pack will be available in stores around the world at the end of December / early January.

Thank you.

GP2X Value Pack

doesent sound to bad at all, but i wnder if they have contected the authors of the games for permission, if not that wouldnt be very nice of them.

Vimacs posted on Dec 18 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
doesent sound to bad at all, but i wnder if they have contected the authors of the games for permission, if not that wouldnt be very nice of them.
It wouldn't be nice but depending on the license for each game it may not be necessary. Noiz, for example, has a license that permits redistribution in source or binary form without permission. I imagine a lot of the 20 games on the CD have similar licenses. If they are distributing the commercial games without permission then they really are in trouble!

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how much it'll cost? And are they violating some sort of license by including SuperTux and others (assuming they even have permission)?

What you get in addition to the normal GP2X (disregarding the games which were already free):

Vektar
Pouch
Headphones
Batteries
Hand strap

I guess that's pretty good for a new user. But it does look like a sexy box!

gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
Wonder how much it'll cost? And are they violating some sort of license by including SuperTux and others (assuming they even have permission)?

What you get in addition to the normal GP2X (disregarding the games which were already free):

Vektar
Pouch
Headphones
Batteries & charger
Hand strap

I guess that's pretty good for a new user. But it does look like a sexy box!
SuperTux is DFSG free, I believe that it is GPL so they need nobody's permission to redistribute it. If they have modified the source, they must redistribute that if they distribute the modified game but otherwise they are in the clear. Not to friendly but perfectly legal.

Charlie

EDIT: This is of course assuming that they didn't ask, if they did then they are nice and deserve puppies.

So the value pack is just gp2x with a few minor extras like a strap and several freewaregames included. (And a payback demo)
Well, that's real value...

But then again I guess a lot of the people who bought a gp2x are unaware of (and not capable of finding) gp32x.de, gpnewbie and the file archive.

Don't worry. I asked the authors of the games not released under the GPL.
I cared about that :)
Oh, and noiz is also fine, the license is:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms,
with or without modification, are permitted provided that
the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Last edited:
Draken posted on Dec 18 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
So the value pack is just gp2x with a few minor extras like a strap and several freewaregames included. (And a payback demo)
Well, that's real value...

But then again I guess a lot of the people who bought a gp2x are unaware of (and not capable of finding) gp32x.de, gpnewbie and the file archive.
Maybe once they've watched the video tutorial they'll realize their terrible mistake :) Also note you get rechargeable batteries but there is no mention of a charger, he he.
If they can sell then then more power to them, more profits for them means more money for their next generation. Which is good for us.

Charlie

I notice that gp2x.co.uk still shows 2 products for sale - the 'value pack' and the 'power pack', with the value pack weighing in at £124.99 - is this the same value pack? If so, then it is actually good value compared to the old price, especially if it includes a charger, but even if not.

NICE! I think we are on the right track. :) Now all it needs is a d-pad and more original homebrew (whether commercial or free) and I'll buy another one. :D
Does Kenta Cho have a GP2X, yet? If not, who wants to take over collecting to get him one?

Vimacs posted on Dec 18 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
a cheapass charger shouldn't be a big problem to add, should it? woudl be better then nothing.
But then there'd be trouble with Euro/Brit/US voltage and electric plug formats, unless of course they include a fancier (read more expensive) charger that adapts.

- Alex

This "brand new user interface" is what interests me most. What will it be like? And will the rest of us get it in the next firmware upgrade? Or have they just slapped gmenu2x over the top?

chris_r posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
This "brand new user interface" is what interests me most. What will it be like? And will the rest of us get it in the next firmware upgrade? Or have they just slapped gmenu2x over the top?
Either that or a new skin.

Oh yeah.

This is the GP2X that is sold to Koreans bundeled with tofel software (English certification).

Check it out...

http://www.gp2x.co.kr/shop/shop_view.asp?p...&indexNo=18

There is a movie as well.

So the market is...

Koreans = Education

Others = Games

I wonder if Vector is the freeware version or the commerical version. The picture looks commerical.

Man, their timing slightly sucks. Worldwide distribution to stores after the commercialized gift-giving occasions? I wonder if they didn't realize the significance, due to cultural differences. Or maybe this is just the soonest they could release it. :huh:

a few things im not sure about:

1) by stores do they mean online stores or retail stores?

2) what the new interface is and if it means a new firmware

3) how much this will cost

4) where is the retail bob?

anyway sounds like a good way to get into at least some retail stores with everything being packed in at least if thats what they are going for with this.

Back