Gp2x Value Pack Launched!

I agree with Dave here, too. I can tolerate the stick, but if the opportunity arises to improve on it, definitely do so. Seriously the more I look at the GP32's stick, the more I get angry at GPH...

- Alex

The stick is pretty bad but its not too bad... basically its like a dpad but feels better. I hate dpads oh so much... I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... unless they are used with another stick. What I want is a zodiac style full analog stick.

I agree with Jackd. I HATE D-Pads. The GP2X stick actually feels pretty good to me while using the gp2x.co.uk cap. Anyone that hates the stick should buy it, it's sooo much better than the standard stick. It's much higher up.

DaveC posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:25 AM said:
That stick is probly the biggest reason so many projects have been abandoned and devs have left for other things like DS, PSP etc.

Apart from Epicenter (one among MANY reasons he gave), please name some others that left the scene *specifically* due to the GP2X's stick? Serious question.

And leaving for the PSP due to it? The PSP's controls (both rubbish D-pad and unsuitable-for-2D analogue stick) are far worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:23 PM said:
That stick is probly the biggest reason so many projects have been abandoned and devs have left for other things like DS, PSP etc.

Apart from Epicenter (one among MANY reasons he gave), please name some others that left the scene *specifically* due to the GP2X's stick? Serious question.

And leaving for the PSP due to it? The PSP's controls (both rubbish D-pad and unsuitable-for-2D analogue stick) are far worse.
I didn't move to the PSP, but the stick was the deciding factor in my choice not to continue working on projects for the GP2X. There were plenty of other reasons, most of the system's other problems, while very suboptimal and freedom-limiting, aren't necessarily fatal to the enjoyability of the final product. The stick, however, is completely fatal.

Honestly, if GPH were to pour their time, money and energy into a new GP2X revision with a D-Pad, improved power subsystem to bolster battery life a little, a less-cubersome TV-output mechanism (one small connector is all that's needed, not incorporating it into this huge EXT thing), move the power jack to the bottom of the unit (along with the headphone connector ideally), put springs in the battery compartment instead of those awful metal tabs, modified the Battery LED to adjust brightness based on battery voltage instead of just being on or off (which is pretty useless), add a USB port or two, and improved (or completely rewrote) the crash-prone media applications, I'd seriously consider buying one. I probably wouldn't develop for it, but I'd at least use it.

All GPH's other projects right now, with their weird break-out boxes and value packs and repainted cases are misappropriations of their already-limited funds. Unfortunately, it seems GPH has no concept of what consumers really want, and no amount of effort in the world will make them realize it.

DaveC posted on Dec 19 2006 at 04:25 AM said:
Goemon4 posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:21 AM said:
Hmm, i actually like the new interface's look, aqua rip of or not (idrc, it isnt like the aqua look is ugly or anything) adn im glad to see them atleast giving the 2x a bit more out of the box, (say is the vektar with ti the commercial or freeware version?) i dont get why all of you are just bashing it tho, i mean it isnt like your forced to buy it or use the new interface if you dont like it (hence the beauty of open source) its just a nice update on things imo even tho most of the games are free.... either way, great job GPH! (and keep the joystick! mame with a d-pad would be annoying!)

I agree with most of this but keep the crappy stick? ARE YOU CRAZY!!

Get rid of that shitty stick!

The stock stick is bad. I lost it and ordered the alternative stick at ED's shop. I am really happy that ED is offering this service, otherwise my unit would be without joystick. Thank you ED. However, the alternative stick is even worse (too high). The best thing would be a Nintendo d pad.

Epicenter posted on Dec 19 2006 at 09:33 AM said:
gaterooze posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:23 PM said:

I didn't move to the PSP, but the stick was the deciding factor in my choice not to continue working on projects for the GP2X. There were plenty of other reasons, most of the system's other problems, while very suboptimal and freedom-limiting, aren't necessarily fatal to the enjoyability of the final product. The stick, however, is completely fatal.

Honestly, if GPH were to pour their time, money and energy into a new GP2X revision with a D-Pad, improved power subsystem to bolster battery life a little, a less-cubersome TV-output mechanism (one small connector is all that's needed, not incorporating it into this huge EXT thing), move the power jack to the bottom of the unit (along with the headphone connector ideally), put springs in the battery compartment instead of those awful metal tabs, modified the Battery LED to adjust brightness based on battery voltage instead of just being on or off (which is pretty useless), add a USB port or two, and improved (or completely rewrote) the crash-prone media applications, I'd seriously consider buying one. I probably wouldn't develop for it, but I'd at least use it.

All GPH's other projects right now, with their weird break-out boxes and value packs and repainted cases are misappropriations of their already-limited funds. Unfortunately, it seems GPH has no concept of what consumers really want, and no amount of effort in the world will make them realize it.
Epicenter, to be honest I don't think you have contributed anything of real value to the GP2X, only hints at something you couldn't finish. So lets examine your points:

Battery life
You're using rubbish batteries, follow my lead and get better ones, I have no issues with that now.

TV out is cumbersome.
At least it has one, something which is completely devoid on the PSP, and I personally don't mind the 2X TV out.

Power Jack in the wrong place.
It's a hand held, and mainly for use on the move, who cares where it is.

Battery Springs are inadequate.
True some people have had this problem, but as yet I haven't seen it myself. And the people who have had the problem say that it's usually after the unit has been knocked or dropped, in any case bending them back into place solved the problem.

Battery LED brightness should based be based on voltage and not just come on when batter is low.
Well it's more useful than the PSP batter LED isn't it sunshine.

Media apps crashing.
Most crashes when playing video are usually down to the encoding, encode it correctly and it works perfectly well......

I can see no true value in any of your points, or in your posts over the last few weeks, you are totally biased against the unit, you are not being any way constructive, all your points are negative. i.e. pro's and con's without the pro's. Not a very good view of such an excellent console.

I think we are fed up of your campaign against the GP2X now and like I said before, you have brought nothing to the scene except negativity. Please go away and tell mummy that the nasty woman banned you for 14 days. If your attitude still sucks when you return, you will be banned for a much longer period.

Happy Christmas,
Clare.

Edit: If we find you are back using another account, that will be banned also and we may even increase the period for more than 14 days.

Edit 2: I have reduced the period to 7 days, see I'm not that bad after all :D

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 10:55 AM said:
I can see no true value in any of your points, or in your posts over the last few weeks, you are totally biased against the unit, you are not being any way constructive, all your points are negative. i.e. pro's and con's without the pro's. Not a very good view of such an excellent console.

I think we are fed up of your campaign against the GP2X now and like I said before, you have brought nothing to the scene except negativity. Please go away and tell mummy that the nasty woman banned you for 14 days. If your attitude still sucks when you return, you will be banned for a much longer period.

Happy Christmas,
Clare.

Edit: If we find you are back using another account, that will be banned also and we may even increase the period for more than 14 days.

warm, friendly and fluffy indeed!

EDIT: stop banning people, this makes no sense!

Can't help but agree that the ban was unneccesary. So much for expressing your opinion. (which, in this case was a reaction to the person saying Epicenter left due the controlstick amongst other things)

And 'tell mummy'? Come on, you should know better...

chaos engineer posted on Dec 19 2006 at 10:04 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 10:55 AM said:

Happy Christmas,
Clare.

warm, friendly and fluffy indeed!

EDIT: stop banning people, this makes no sense!
Epicenter has been a pain in the ass for a long time and he really had it coming. It wasn't just my decision that contributed to this ban, it was on the cards between us mods for a while.

I guess you're also talking about Shikaku, I didn't ban him originally, I just enforced the ban on him when he made duplicate accounts.

Yes I am warm and friendly, if you actually knew me you would know that. But I am also a mod on this forum, and as such I have responsibilities. So please stop complaining when I take the correct action. And actually I have only ever banned 2 people since I have been a mod, so your comment above was factually incorrect!

Enough said on this subject I think.

WarmFluffyUK:

1. it is just not very liberal to ban people from the forum just because they do not like the gp2x.

2. I did not say that you banned more than one or two people. I do not see any factual incorrectness in my post.

3. But I agree with you that as a mod it is your right to ban people. However, I think the community should be allowed to comment those bans. I just wanted to tell you that I do not agree with the reasons and the way you banned Epicenter, that's all.

4. Besides that I thank you for your work as a gp32x mod and for your work as a gp2x dev.

chaos engineer posted on Dec 19 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK:

1. it is just not very liberal to ban people from the forum just because they do not like the gp2x.

2. I did not say that you banned more than one or two people. I do not see any factual incorrectness in my post.

3. But I agree with you that as a mod it is your right to ban people. However, I think the community should be allowed to comment those bans. I just wanted to tell you that I do not agree with the reasons and the way you banned Epicenter, that's all.

4. Besides that I thank you for your work as a gp32x mod and for your work as a gp2x dev.
I agree entirely with your points, Mr. Engineer - it's this kind of thing that puts people off expressing themselves. w.r.t. Epicenter, to awfully paraphrase Voltaire: "I don't always share your opinions, but I'd be quite miffed if you weren't allowed to express them". [sound of Voltaire spinning in grave].

If you want to clean up some of the crap in this forum, it'd be great. Surely more of a problem than people having opinions different from your own is people adding absolutely nothing to thread content and padding threads to 50-odd pages full of crap. If people are warned to stay on-topic and choose to ignore that - ban them, and ban them hard. It sometimes seems like a band of gobshites descends on every other thread that might actually be informative and interesting and sends the signal-to-noise ratio very far in the wrong direction.

Anyway, the GP2X Value Pack looks like a very sensible move that will certainly improve the Out Of Box Experience, so thumbs up here!

Oh, wow. Banning drama again.

I love and play my GP2X more than I spend time on these forums arguing for it against people who have no idea what they're talking about, or bitching about things that are known issues, and disappear once you're smart enough to know to fix them yourself.

So, for all of you who'd love to defent the precious GP2X against the PSP crowd, the best defense is just not giving a damn, and actually playing the system you love. It seems that this forum is filled with lots of nothings, such as this etc.

Epicenter can say whatever he wants. There will always be naysayers. So the ban was completely unneceesary, but beyond that, I don't care. And people shouldn't be so offended. Just go play it, that would be defense enough.

chaos engineer posted on Dec 19 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK:

I have to agree with you. I don't think I've agreed with anything that Epicenter has had to say but it did seem that this was just an excuse to get rid of him for a while. I feel the ban would have been more justified if he had turned this thread into another one of his GP2X hate campaigns but he was just replying to a question.
I know being a Mod must be difficult WarmFluffyUK and you have to make tricky decisions sometimes and I'm sure everyone appreciates the work done by you and the rest of the mods, I just think bans have to be clearly justified and not appear that it's simply because of a difference of oppinion.

Having said that having some peace and quiet from Epicenters whining for a few weeks will be nice ;)

Back