Gp2x Value Pack Launched!

Because DaveC has done positive things for the scene, his joystick cap, his Dpad mod and various other things for me and ed via PM.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 19 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
The Voca Master Project (?) looks like a better pack.
Why does DaveC not get banned for continually harping on about the stick ? At least Epicentre's rantings are not motivated by the desire to sell people a d-pad mod.

Well just for your info I am not making anything really on these kits. It takes alot of time to do and it really isn't worth it for litterally the $1.00 I may make. I do it more to patch a bad design decision with hopes that more will stick with the scene and more development of stuff will come of it. That benefits us all really.

The GP2X is a nice system that does alot of things right and may be the last (All of this talk of newer units with custom batteries and weird emu hostile resolutions is of concern) unit that is a great form factor for emulation and PC ports. The only thing holding back the scene is that stick. I am not saying it for me, I am saying it because I hear ALOT of complaints on this board about the stick. I never hear any complaints about the DS D-pad ;) For myself and my GP2X I honestly don't give a shit about the stick. I extracted it like a rotten molar months ago. My GP2X has a great D-pad on it now GPH be damned. I only care about it because of the damage it does to the scene.

If you think I should be banned because I don't like every single aspect of the GP2X and I tell it like it is go PM a mod and tell him/her to ban me. Pretty soon no one will be left here as they will all be banned for making a comment that some one may not like ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey epicenter was just anoying and constantly dissed the 2xfor no reason at all, and DaveC never said "buy my d-pad mod" it just sounded like a good idea so i got curious about it.... also atleast he has made contributions (as craigix said) and actually thinks up solutions for the problems he has with the unit (instead of complaning) but it isnt like epicenter is gone for good (its only a 7 day ban, unless i read something wrong) so stop ranting to the mods about them being to strict, how about they never ban anyone and leave us to deal with tons of spam-bots, trolls, spens etc... be g ad we have good moderators people, now lets just get back on topic....

well whenever evil gets in your kit dave I'll be buying one..although the stick is alright it does'nt really suit my needs for the emus I play but I can manage with it for now.

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
The Voca Master Project (?) looks like a better pack.
voca580_4.jpg
Haha, the Linux handheld with the IE logo on the box :lol:

And yes, I totally agree, that looks like an awesome combo package, bar the ESL software of course.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 20 2006 at 02:12 AM said:
And yes, I totally agree, that looks like an awesome combo package, bar the ESL software of course.
- Alex
If they put a 4g sd card in instead it would be a neat stater pack.
craigix posted on Dec 20 2006 at 12:03 AM said:
Because DaveC has done positive things for the scene, his joystick cap, his Dpad mod and various other things for me and ed via PM.
Fair enough. What community would be complete without some being more equal than others, right ? You do realise how specious your response is ? Perhaps you also believe we should remember Hitler for the autobahns and overlook his later aberrations.

I would question wether making an issue out of what many do not see as a problem in order to personally profit is a positive contribution. Many have no problem with the stick, as posts here indicate. His continual critiscism of it is hardly going to attract new users/devs or persuade the existing ones to hang around.

DaveC posted on Dec 20 2006 at 12:12 AM said:
It takes alot of time to do and it really isn't worth it for litterally the $1.00 I may make

It baffles me how you factor in any any profit at all given your views on donating to the devs in the community.

As you indicate, the most valuable part of a commodity like this is the labour (although insignificant in comparison to the labour that goes into the emulators given freely by devs) so why don't you offer them for the cost of postage ?

People could then donate as they thought fit (but only if they felt the item was 'developed enough' for their purposes, of course) ?

:rolleyes: you people are really taking this ban thing to far imo, just tdeal with it (it isnt like everyone and their moms are getting banned, just anoying "trolls") and say craig, any idea on when the new "scheme" will be available to the public?

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 21 2006 at 01:14 AM said:
Perhaps you also believe we should remember Hitler for the autobahns and overlook his later aberrations.

I would question wether making an issue out of what many do not see as a problem in order to personally profit is a positive contribution. Many have no problem with the stick, as posts here indicate. His continual critiscism of it is hardly going to attract new users/devs or persuade the existing ones to hang around.

DaveC posted on Dec 20 2006 at 12:12 AM said:
It takes alot of time to do and it really isn't worth it for litterally the $1.00 I may make

It baffles me how you factor in any any profit at all given your views on donating to the devs in the community.

As you indicate, the most valuable part of a commodity like this is the labour (although insignificant in comparison to the labour that goes into the emulators given freely by devs) so why don't you offer them for the cost of postage ?

People could then donate as they thought fit (but only if they felt the item was 'developed enough' for their purposes, of course) ?

Now I am being compared to Hitler? Yeah, murder=criticism about a controller on a toy, same thing ;)

I don't think me critisizing the stick is going to cause anyone to leave, you are still here right?

The fact is alot of people do not like the stick. You may not know it as most of them have left the scene because of it and don't post here anymore to complain about it. So I guess the ones left here are the ones that don't mind it or can tolerate it. The M2 stick as I said is not terrible, so hopefully more will enjoy it.

I don't really advertize the d-pad, but do you know that I continually get PMs from forum members begging me to sell or do a d-pad mod for them? They almost always start their message with how much they hate the stick.

Why don't I offer them for the cost of postage? Well it costs me MONEY for the parts and to have boards made you know. Digikey, QD pad spare part sellers, and the custom PCB manufacturers don't just give parts away for free ;) It doesn't cost emu coders money every time someone downloads the emu ;) By the time I buy parts and send out the pads I really do just about break even, who knows I might actually be losing a little, I never added up the pennies but I know it is very close.

If you are going to bash or flame me, please try to make some sort of sense.

Fawny, I've argued a lot with DaveC in the past, but he has contributed quite a bit to this community over the last couple of years. He is very forthright with his opinions (many of which I disagree with, including his stance on the stick) and often forgets to be nice, but there's nothing evil about that. Sometimes you need that kind of criticism (he does often point out problems that others don't).

Judging from your join date, you probably don't know this, but he is the main reason that GPH fixed the diagonal bias from the Mk1. He also designed the first real "produced" cap mod, which led to GPH changing their caps. You should be thanking DaveC that your Mk2 joystick is as good as it is!

His donation policy is his own business. FYI I've seen him offer to donate free D-pad mods to several devs.

The difference between he and Epicenter is the latter's repeated personal attacks, thread derailment, and pathological vendettas against GPH and gp2x.co.uk.

PS Godwin's law.

I'd say "being critical" should never be grounds for being banned. "Being slanderous", if there is such a word, but you get my drift, should, however. "Being an annoying anatomical-feature-of-backside" might be, depending on severity :)

That is my opinion. Then again, I can't really claim innocense in the prolongation of a few Epi-related threads, so I'll shut up now...

Blimey I've just read the whole of this thread and I can't believe nobody has asked what is going on with 'Noiz' - it's called Noizsa isn't it? Why has it been changed?

DaveC posted on Dec 21 2006 at 03:56 AM said:
Now I am being compared to Hitler? Yeah, murder=criticism about a controller on a toy, same thing ;)
I never compared you to Hitler. I drew an analogy to illustrate why I thought craigix's statement is fallacious. I used the Hitler example as we all know craigix has a penchant for 'the fuehrer' and thought it might amuse him.

You must have an inflated opinion of yourself to think anyone would compare you to such an influential figure in the history of western civilisation.

DaveC posted on Dec 21 2006 at 03:56 AM said:
If you are going to bash or flame me, please try to make some sort of sense.
As for making some sort of sense, look to your own statements. One moment you justify yourself with it taking 'a lot of time'. When I suggest this appears hypocritical, regarding your attitude to donating to devs, you change your stance to that of material costs.

In one instance you are making a dollar and in the next you could even be making loss.

According to you, all the people dissatisfied with the stick have left the scene yet at the same time are deluging your inbox "begging" :lol: for your mods.

You may not openly proclaim "Buy my mods, here", but again you have steered a thread off topic by harping on about the stick and drawing attention to your products.

Stealth marketing, anyone ?

I have a "first edition" stamped model with the original cap. The only problem with that cap was the sharp edge made my thumb sore after a long session. If you smooth it down, once you get accustomed to its operation, using the actual stick as a controller is not a problem.

You are not even the issue here.

The issue was that epicentre was earmarked for a ban but after he started to show some restraint he got banned anyway just for posting his view on GPH's marketing strategy. At least his point was related to the opening topic and not guerilla marketing.

This thread is retarded. The stick sucks. DaveC should be thanked for trying to do something about it, not attacked for some idiotic, fallacious "guerilla marketing" concept. /uninstall -life

Epicenter is a jerk. He's been pissing people off for months. Who cares what particular incident got him banned. It was bound to happen, anyway.

On Topic: The value pack is a good idea. I hope it helps to move some units. So, any details on the firmware update?

Fawny Kate posted on Dec 21 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
As for making some sort of sense, look to your own statements. One moment you justify yourself with it taking 'a lot of time'. When I suggest this appears hypocritical, regarding your attitude to donating to devs, you change your stance to that of material costs.

In one instance you are making a dollar and in the next you could even be making loss.

According to you, all the people dissatisfied with the stick have left the scene yet at the same time are deluging your inbox "begging" :lol: for your mods.

You may not openly proclaim "Buy my mods, here", but again you have steered a thread off topic by harping on about the stick and drawing attention to your products.

Stealth marketing, anyone ?

I have a "first edition" stamped model with the original cap. The only problem with that cap was the sharp edge made my thumb sore after a long session. If you smooth it down, once you get accustomed to its operation, using the actual stick as a controller is not a problem.

I stated material costs as you didn't factor that in. I didn't "change" anything, I merely had to state something that you obviously overlooked before. You said I should just do it for the cost of postage, and that devs give their work away so I should too. I had to state what should be an obvious difference which is that it doesn't cost money to release an emu but costs money to make and send out d-pads.

As far as stating that I may be making a dollar and next could even be making loss, it is not some flip-flop that you make it out to be. If you actually read what was said instead of picking my post apart looking for some little flaw that you could go off on you would realize that. As I said I don't count the pennies so it may be either way. The fact that I don't count the pennies is because I am not doing it for profit, so I really don't care.

How can I get PMs for mods if everyone dissatisfied has left? Impossible? Um no, the requests mostly come from newbs that just got units saying they hate the stick.

"stealth marketing" Yeah right. I just love making mod kits for little or no money. I am really going to get rich doing that, great business plan, Donald Trump look out :rolleyes:

Ok you have a first edition unit and the stick is fine. Large dead zones, diagonal bias, poor grip on that small slippery cap, no those things are no problem. Me and everyone else here that has mentioned those things are all full of shit. Those problems are all made up by me just so that I can sell d-pad mods for little or no money :rolleyes: like I said, try to make some sense

I suggest that you do a search on these forums for keywords such as "joystick", "cap mod", "dead zone", "diagonal bias" before comming back to say something stupid.

I'm thankful when I see posts by people like DaveC especially as the average person sometimes couldn't care less about whatever and often simply puts up with whatever they're given.

Back