Gp2x Value Pack Launched!

@WarmFluffyUK

Well done! The first mod I see in this forum doing his/her job very well. Epicenter violated the forum rules hundred times, now he got what he deserved...
Thank you very much for the action.

Regards,
Stephan

The sign of good moderator is one that rules over without their policies becoming the subject of discussion on the forum. Epicenter *has* to be unbanned, he has not broken any rules of the forum. We cannot let the personal opinions of a moderator on a given subject be the reason for a banning.

I am not going to back down because "We all I feel sorry for him now". If he wants to keep dissing the 2X with drivel, he can go to the PSP/DS forums. He didn't have one positive thing to say about it, and that is not a balanced argument, totally biased in my opinion. And this isn't a one off, he's like this ALL the time and we are fed up of it!

I said it before and will do again. This wasn't a ban based on this one incident, it is cumulative and this being the catalyst. Epicenter had annoyed a lot of people with his constant whining. There was already a discussion open between us mods and the result was that if he did it again, he would get a little reward. Unfortunately for me, I was the one who spotted it first and took action.

ste_167 Please note the above, it wasn't my personal opinion, epicenter was already being watched by us mods. Please don't think this is a personal vendetta, I'm only doing my job.

Getting back on Topic:

Personally I think this is a very nice bundle making it a lot more attractive to new users. It's a shame I bought my GP2X when I did now :blink:.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
ste_167 Please note the above, it wasn't my personal opinion, epicenter was already being watched by us mods. Please don't think this is a personal vendetta, I'm only doing my job.

I was just about to post that I will retract my last sentence if it was a group decision, when I saw you'd added that! :) I do think though that any bannings shouldn't be a public shaming exercise as this only ignites a thread. They could possibly be done behind the scenes with a PM explanation to the individual involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
ste_167 posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:13 PM said:

I was just about to post that I will retract my last sentence if it was a group decision, when I saw you'd added that! :) I do think though that any bannings shouldn't be a public shaming exercise as this only ignites a thread. They could possibly be done behind the scenes with a PM explanation to the individual involved?
Point taken, next time I will keep my lips sealed and leave everyone wondering. ;)
Fortunately, I don't ban lightly or often. This sort of thing from me is done in rare (usually extreme) circumstances.

Alex. posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
This is rather disappointing, this thread gets five pages of bickering while the Community Game Contest thread is left off to dry :(

- Alex
That's the way the cookie crumbles, ruffle feathers and see what happens!!!!

I haven't posted on here in a while as I have been too busy. I am shocked to see Epicenter get banned for this? Did I miss something? I never noticed him causing any other problems? Could someone post a couple of links here please.

People have a right to speak out, even if it is negative feedback. I have to be honest, I agree with 95% of what he actually posted. The only thing I disagree with is giving up developing for those reasons / the dodgy stick. Even with that list of issues the GP2X is still a fun device and part of my reason for developing is the great community, of which Epicenter was / is part of.

Sorry if I missed the real reasoning behind this ban (if it is a ban) but I cannot see justification for it atm. Will I get a ban for posting my views on this?

Gadget posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
I haven't posted on here in a while as I have been too busy. I am shocked to see Epicenter get banned for this? Did I miss something? I never noticed him causing any other problems? Could someone post a couple of links here please.

People have a right to speak out, even if it is negative feedback. I have to be honest, I agree with 95% of what he actually posted. The only thing I disagree with is giving up developing for those reasons / the dodgy stick. Even with that list of issues the GP2X is still a fun device and part of my reason for developing is the great community, of which Epicenter was / is part of.

Sorry if I missed the real reasoning behind this ban (if it is a ban) but I cannot see justification for it atm. Will I get a ban for posting my views on this?
Don't be daft.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
Alex. posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
This is rather disappointing, this thread gets five pages of bickering while the Community Game Contest thread is left off to dry :(

- Alex
That's the way the cookie crumbles, ruffle feathers and see what happens!!!!
What's your problem? I didn't direct that comment at you, and even held myself from making a comment of any sort on Epicenter's ban. You need to lighten up really.

- Alex

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 19 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
Don't be daft.
Likewise. I wasn't aware that people had to have balanced views to be welcome here. What next? Banning people for being positive all the time?

I have to agree with the ban. Not b/c I have anything against Epicenter personally or b/c I think he broke forum rules, but for the simple fact that every thread he posts in becomes grossly off topic. How many threads start out on topic, then Epicenter posts his GP2X hate mongering (which he is entitled to), and then 5 or 6 people reply to his post saying his opinion is garbage and biased and so forth, and pretty soon everyone is arguing about the damn stick, battery life, and Epicenter's shump? countless...

OT: I think GPH needs to offer a better package, especially with a tv-out cable and such, but at least they are trying.

I've probably been one of Epicenter's biggest critics, but I do think the banning was a little over the top. Ignoring him is more effective.

However to those who don't know the history of why he was banned, I believe it was due to two things: 1) in the last few months he has hijacked and derailed several threads which just turned into hate-fests. Each time he would finish by saying he won't be posting on the GP2X boards any longer, sicne he had no interest in it. Of course, a few days later, he would come back trolling. And 2), for the repeated personal attacks on craigix and GPH, including outright slander he has never been able to back up.

I apologize to everyone for even mentioning his name in this thread. My question was to DaveC and not directed at Epicenter at all. I should have known he would take any chance to bash GPH some more...

reaper79 posted on Dec 19 2006 at 02:06 PM said:
I have to agree with the ban. Not b/c I have anything against Epicenter personally or b/c I think he broke forum rules, but for the simple fact that every thread he posts in becomes grossly off topic. How many threads start out on topic, then Epicenter posts his GP2X hate mongering (which he is entitled to), and then 5 or 6 people reply to his post saying his opinion is garbage and biased and so forth, and pretty soon everyone is arguing about the damn stick, battery life, and Epicenter's shump? countless...

OT: I think GPH needs to offer a better package, especially with a tv-out cable and such, but at least they are trying.
In fairness this thread is now way of topic and it's not really because of epicenter this time. WarmFluffyUK has explained her position and the reasons for why he was banned so this should really be put to rest now (unless you want another 20 page thread that is completely off topic, much like the ones Epicenter regularly fueled.)
Perhaps a lock is in order?

Listen up, we are all guests here on these boards. The moderators don't have to put up with someone they don't like if they don't want to.

I actually thought of writing a PM to Epicenter asking him why he puts out so much negativity on these forums. He seems to find only the faults or the things he doesn't like about the gp2x and go on and on about how terrible it is.

I, for one, was overjoyed to see him banned so I don't have to read yet another negative post about how GPH screwed this or that up again. It wasn't just like he had CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Fluffy explained the ban very well, read it again.

I can see no true value in any of your points, or in your posts over the last few weeks, you are totally biased against the unit, you are not being any way constructive, all your points are negative. i.e. pro's and con's without the pro's. Not a very good view of such an excellent console.

I think we are fed up of your campaign against the GP2X now and like I said before, you have brought nothing to the scene except negativity.

Remember, we are guests here and if you misbehave in my house over and over I'd kick you out too.

ruckage posted on Dec 19 2006 at 02:21 PM said:
In fairness this thread is now way of topic and it's not really because of epicenter this time. WarmFluffyUK has explained her position and the reasons for why he was banned so this should really be put to rest now (unless you want another 20 page thread that is completely off topic, much like the ones Epicenter regularly fueled.)
Perhaps a lock is in order?
Yes, why not exercise a bit more abuse of power - lock away... my opinion (which is of no consequence) of some people in this place has plummeted enough for one day now anyway :(

Cheezer: yes, we're guests on this forum. We're also part of a community - this forum is nothing without that.

This ban is completely unacceptable and plain wrong. Epi was just referring to a post that someone else had posted about him. He made comments here that were actually on the positive side, i.e.. if GPH did this or that then they would have a better product. Why was Dave C not banned, as he started debate about the stick (which I agree with, it's okay for those whose sticks work, but I fear the vast majority of us with the first batch of gp2xs can't really use the beast because it just won't register all the time. I hate the fucking stick, I've had three of the fuckers!!!!)?

Nope, EPi has not done nothing wrong, and just banning him diminishes our forum. We are NOT guests of the mods, and my respect for Warm and Fluffy as a Mod has disappeared. This was just stupid.

I suppose I will now be banned, and quite frankly I don't care if I am. This sort of action just ruins the whole forum. I think an explanation of when, where and how Epi broke the rules is in order!

I can't believe we're still talking about this.

The mods have explained that it was due to a persistent, ongoing problem. There seems to be some agreement that this was the case from some of the non-mods here. I'm not sure why this should lead to a breakdown of trust in the moderators.

Can I suggest that this gets split off into another thread? The Value Pack is an interesting topic, but it's been completely taken over with other matters.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 19 2006 at 05:30 AM said:
Firmware made by Ed and Craig! YES!

Well, don't expect too much with this release yet (nothing new for you guys, mostly made it better for new customers), the firmware itself hasn't changed THAT much yet, but we're working on more things that will make the FW much better... that takes time, however.
This was just a quick start :)

shinneri posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:01 AM said:
craigix posted on Dec 18 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
This firmware was made by Me and Ed.
Do you mean the firmware or the new skin?

I did the skin, craig squeezed all these games and the vids into 32MB NAND (amazing :)), and Fatih, craig and me did the videos.
More to come soon :)

Last edited:
@EvilDragon

Will you offer the Value Pack in your shop?
I thing that the Gamers Pack and Developers Pack you offer are the better choice...

Regards,
Stephan

gaterooze posted on Dec 19 2006 at 04:23 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:25 AM said:
That stick is probly the biggest reason so many projects have been abandoned and devs have left for other things like DS, PSP etc.

Apart from Epicenter (one among MANY reasons he gave), please name some others that left the scene *specifically* due to the GP2X's stick? Serious question.

And leaving for the PSP due to it? The PSP's controls (both rubbish D-pad and unsuitable-for-2D analogue stick) are far worse.

Well Telengard (XMESS) said the stick ruined the experience, so much so that he is not motivated to finish the emu. Reesy said that he prefered playing a different handheld (said elsewhere) because of the lame stick. Those are the ones that I KNOW for a fact but I am sure there are many more. If I asked all of the devs who don't come here any more or made a poll I would bet the stick was a big reason for them to not continue the work (another being real life). The fact is the stick is shit. Even if you don't mind the cavernous dead zone and can "get used to it" it is not very robust and is prone to breakage. If GPH switched to a d-pad I would bet that the scene would be much more active.

Back