Gp2x Vs. Xgp

Epicenter, make sure you didn't actually solder the left channel to ground as well - that would still give a 0 ohm connection to the left output ;)

I checked, Left and Right have infinite ohms between themselves and ground. The jack, however, has a fault where a metal pin shorts against the channels and grounds them out. There is no discernable reason for the pin to even be there.

Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:04 AM said:
I checked, Left and Right have infinite ohms between themselves and ground. The jack, however, has a fault where a metal pin shorts against the channels and grounds them out. There is no discernable reason for the pin to even be there.

The pin usually is there to connect the internal speakers with the amp. When the plug is inserted the pin disconnects the speakers and delivers the sound only to the earphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:02 AM said:
That's not the one I'm referring to. It's a seemingly pointless chunk of metal.

Hmm...I soldered my headphone jack back on to my MKI GP2X. I never noticed this pointless chunk of metal you are referring to? I might have to open mine back up and take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter, most of your hardware-related beef is MK1-specific, there's a reason why pre-MK2 was for early adopters willing to accept such quirks.

- Alex

The stick is the same in MK2, it's just rotated. So the awful swing-time from one ordinal to its opposite, the huge dead-zone, and the inaccurate, sloppy feel are still there. The new stick caps makes it feel a bit less awful, but it's just ultimately acting to try and lessen the blow. For me, it doesn't really work.

Yes, components aren't falling off left and right like they used to. But the headphone jack is still the same, as far as I can tell, it's just soldered on properly now. The jack itself is a faulty design though and requires a lot of playing with the plug to get both sound channels working, or the speakers off, or both. The brittle, easy-to-bend battery connectors remain, and make a lot of people think their machine is dead when the connections to the batteries are just bad. There's a reason most devices use a piece of bent metal and a spring, but GPH doesn't seem to have picked up on this, even though just about every 2xAA powered device made in the last 20 years has been built that way..

The design flaws like the mediocre voltage conversion hardware, part of the battery life issue, remain. So does the broken SD DMA-- which appears to be a hardware flaw in the MMSP2 itself. The scaler and TV out circuitry is still the same, meaning power draw from those components is still awful. If you try to watch a video that isn't 320x240, the scaler will cut your battery life roughly in half. If you are using TV out, you'd be lucky to break an hour, with good batteries...

The MK2 is a step in the right direction but it's far from a real, complete solution as it's often made out to be. There's a lot more work to do.

Back