Gp2x Vs. Xgp

wipeout2000 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
Hey epicenter so whats the major difference between psp and xgp ?
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! Okay, so, the peanut said he was insulted! Wait, that's not it... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
wipeout2000 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 06:07 PM said:

most important ones i can think of are
RAM
Resolution
and 3D acceleration

xinfernoofdantex posted on Sep 16 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
wipeout2000 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 06:07 PM said:

most important ones i can think of are
RAM
Resolution
and 3D acceleration
:lol: What? Resolutions are tentatively the same, and they both have 3D acceleration (tentatively).

The CPU architecture will be ARM9, not MIPS. The GPU is of an entirely different design and would be a PowerVR RS "MBX Lite" in both of the SoCs being considered. It would have much, much more RAM. The resolution might vary between 480x272 and 320x240 or 640x480 .. time will tell. They are thinking of losing the analog stick in favor of a D-Pad as well. There's also the greater likelihood that Linux will be the OS, not some custom-made firmware like the PSP uses. Use of SD cards, not memory stick ... they're really entirely different machines.

wipeout2000 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 07:07 PM said:

The PSP exists.

Well, duh!

None of you exist either, you are just figments of my depraved imagination.

IMO The XGP doesn't exist until at least one reviewer can get his hands on one.

I'm a figment of Nova's imagination? He must have a really warped imagination. *Nod*

The PS3 and WII are probably in testing/pre-releases, whereas the XGP line are still in last minute development decisions, due to consumer input concerns. Therefore the PS3 and WII will be out for sure sooner, therefore logically a bit more tangible.

However, remember Infinium Lab's Phantom? Last I heard of that is that it was about to be released...

All I'm saying is don't count your chickens...

You know those videos of the XGP running videos and Quake 3? Yeah, those. They don't exist.

I just really freakin hope gamepark will listen to at least a few of our requests. since it will most likely be open source Im expecting good things. get a gp2x in the mean time though. that is what I plan on doing... I need money though.... damn rent and bills. sometimes I wish I didnt need to eat. that would get me a gp2x a hell of a lot sooner. maybe I should go on a ramen diet for three months?

Since they are entirely redesigning XGP and XGP Mini I doubt they'll hit their goal to launch those 2 machines late this year or early next year-- it should take more time than that to pick the SoC, design the shell and PCB, select a display, control method, and put together a good custom Linux distro (or have someone else put it together. Hopefully not Dignsys. :lol: ) Internal accessories like WiFi and TV tuners should be able to connect by fairly simple means to the SoC and shouldn't require That said I can't imagine it not being ready to roll sometime next year. There isn't that much engineering to do with an SoC at the center of the machine.

It wouldn't bother me THAT much if the full XGP used a 480x272 display and analog stick. From their responses it sounds more likely they go to a D-Pad, as for a 4:3 dispay, who knows. I'd love for them to go with my recommended chipset (S3C2460) for the extra features (mostly FPU/VP and lower power consumption than VRender-3D) .. but VR3D wouldn't be too shabby either.

Honestly, the GP2X is a great little machine-- it just really let me down in 3 areas. The 2D blitter provides extremely little acceleration, so the CPU is stuck with all my heavy drawing operations, which I know any design of the XGP will fix .. the miserable stick which the XGP will fix in some form or fashion .. and the low build quality (headphone jack fell off into the unit, and 2 caps, as well..) which if they test the unit at all before they ship out a thousand of them, should be improved...

I just don't really expect GPH to fix any of those faults anymore. The bit about 2D Acceleration they'd need a new SoC to correct, and GPH doesn't really care, apparently. They think people watch movies and listen to music on here, and nothing else. They'd rather sell off all their essentially-broken hardware before trying to fix the stick issue, claiming they can't afford to add D-Pads when they can afford to design weird new BoBs that a minority of their customers will actually buy or releasing weird-colored versions of their hardware (all silver? What the hell?)

Their SoC manufacturer 'broke' SD-DMA and can't seem to fix it, so they just released the MMSP2 faulty. As a result loading anything from the SD card bogs down the 920T CPU so much it can't do anything. GPH accepted this apparently, but don't seem to even have been cognizant of how the 2D blitter worked, or how media decoding on the MMSP2 worked, and just accepted MagicEyes' reference design for a MMSP2-based PMP as-is, resulting in them also accepting their shitty selection for a video scaler and TV-Out chip that suck more power than the rest of the system combined, and drag battery life through the floor during use. They mounted the stick in the wrong orientation (How do you manage that? It boggles the mind) and I'm hearing reports the screen is even mounted the wrong way in MK2 units.

I wasn't around in the GP32 days but from what I've seen, there were not these catastrophic problems; with the exception of the backlight/frontlight mini-fiasco things went over pretty smoothly. What we honestly seem to need is GP's execution of GPH's idea in a more carefully thought-out fashion-- because GPH hasn't proven themselves to be a competent company in any regard. And since GP's cleared up that GPH did NOT leave because they wanted to make an open-source system and GP didn't, it's hard to think of them as the oppressed little-guy anymore.

But, the GP2X will HAVE to compete with one of the GP's line products(probably XGP Mini) and one of them will have the lead at the end. The XGP mini will only have a chance IF it solves the current problems the gp2x has(poor build quality,stick,headphone jack falling off,etc..) otherwise, I don't know what is GamePark thinking..

As far as I know the MK2s don't have the headphone jack problem. We know GP will use an analog stick or D-Pad, so that's taken care of. Overall build quality .. well, the GP32 looks very solid internally. I think GPH could've avoided all the problems by taking more time to test their machines. According to Craig, they had no money to fix problems found in their PROTOTYPES, and went ahead to build final units with preorder money. There was no budget to fix the issues in those, either.

Now, that's a confusing statement, however-- how did GPH produce the line of MK2s? What paid for them? Craig ALSO said the GP2X hasn't turned a profit. So there would be no income to make more machines until finished units were sold to distributors .. which then wouldn't exist with no money to BUILD them. It doesn't add up. But what it all boils down to is, if they had not been in such a rush (maybe trying to race GP to market?) they'd have time to get venture capital and make the machines less faulty...

Epicenter posted on Sep 17 2006 at 01:57 AM said:
I wasn't around in the GP32 days but from what I've seen, there were not these catastrophic problems; with the exception of the backlight/frontlight mini-fiasco things went over pretty smoothly.

Actually the last big glitch for the GP32 was the BLU / BLU + problem. They switched LCD manufacturers for the BLU and as a result, not everything that was made for the GP32 worked on the BLU+. Even now, there's often a displaced line at the bottom of the screen where one of the lines wraps up from the top of the screen in some games. *shrug* But that's all semi-ancient history.

Mostly I use my GP32 for MP3's and Sudoku and the odd Colecovision game. *laugh* The GP2X has picked up the rest of my port-a-gaming needs.

As for the headphone jack, I did manage to solder mine back on, but notice the stereo is reversed on any movie I watch. Sounds meant to come from the left speaker come out the right speaker and vice versa. *shrug* I mostly just try to ignore it or turn my headphones around.

I reattached my headphone jack and now the Left channel is entirely broken. I know they're good connections; I measured nearly 0 ohms resistance between the pin connections on the TOP of the jack where they run to the inside, and the solder pads. So the jack itself is just broken, too... :p

Epicenter posted on Sep 17 2006 at 08:57 AM said:
... They mounted the stick in the wrong orientation (How do you manage that? It boggles the mind) and I'm hearing reports the screen is even mounted the wrong way in MK2 units.

Yes the stick was mounted the wrong way (45° off) in the first units but that is now fixed as I posted that fact originally on these forums. Yes it was me that first pointed out the error, and they did fix it.

The screen is mounted the correct way in M2 units, that was just a rumour started by some forum members.

Back