Gp2x Wiz Review

jacksterson

Its rather late, and it was a LONG day (had an earthquake among other things), but here is part 1 of my review as promised (in some random topic, heh).

(For pictures and pretty text, click below!)
http://jaxterson.blogspot.com/

No, this is not an article about your special place, this is actually my first hardware/firmware review!

I present to you:
Wiz%20and%20You.png

Part 1: Intro
A quick explanation of various aspects of the Wiz before the review, if you'd like to skip this, click on "Part 2" on the table of contents (Not finshed yet).

What is the "Wiz"?
The Wiz is a portable, linux-run, media center. Much like the psp, it can play movies and music, and look at pictures. Unlike the psp, however, you can read texts, manga, and run emulators (natively) and has a touch-sensitive AMOLED screen. There is also no need for any type of hacking on your system to run an emulator developed by the open source community.

What is "Open Source"?
A good way to explain open source is to compare the Wiz with such gaming devices as the NDS (Nintendo DS) and PSP (Playstation Portable). The PSP and NDS are sold (like the Wiz) as hardware. Software is designed and developed by companies and the source (main coding that makes up the software) is kept to themselves. This is called closed-source. Whereas for the Wiz, most of the programs and games are developed and released for free (along with the source codes) over the internet. You may think this is counter-productive, but because of the nature of the open-source community, everything is custom-tailered for the users' experience.

What is an "AMOLED" screen?

You know how when you look at a laptop screen at an angle, or an LCD TV, it gets dark and hard to see? An AMOLED screen is basically a very bright display that eliminates that entirely.

What is an "Emulator"?

An emulator emulates hardware designed to run specific types of software. There are many types of emulators that are both legal and illegal, the latter of which are very popular, and is a prominent feature of the Wiz's capabilities. Such emulators include Dr. Pocketsnes, AlexKidd2x, FCE Ultra, and MAME4All.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulators as such are legal, but copying ROMs is illegal depending on where you live. Then again, it's theoretically possible to dump roms that you own in order to have a legal copy. Or to buy them from some shop (Wii's virtual console or whatever it was springs to mind), if you can find one that sells compatible ones.

AMOLED's have other benefits too, like deeper blacks and less power consumption.

Other than that, good work :) I wonder when I can afford to buy one. *sigh*

Back