Gp2xengine And Cd Games

second exodous

Advanced Member
I found a copy of Ys book I&II but the music is in .mp3 format, not wav, will mp3 work on GP2XEngine? It's not that big of a deal to convert them back to .wav files I guess, just a hassle and makes for a huge game.

Also, I'm not quite sure how to setup a CD game in the /rom/pcengine folder, the readme is kinda confusing. Here's what it says:

For load ISO and TOC files: put a system card cdrom named: syscard.pce in /roms/pcengine

.toc format is a text file with a list of track files (.iso and .wav)

WAV files are supported in PCM 8 or 16Bits 22050 or 44100 Hz and always STEREO.

The best format: 8 bit 22050Hz for more speed and minor space occupied in the SD memory

Some examples of .toc files:
Example 1: Automatic (DraculaX.toc)

Leadin
track1.wav
dracx-02.iso
track3.wav
track4.wav
track5.wav
track6.wav
track7.wav
track8.wav
track9.wav
track10.wav
track11.wav
track12.wav
track13.wav
track14.wav
track15.wav
track16.wav
track17.wav
track18.wav
track19.wav
track20.wav
track21.wav
drackx_22.iso
Leadout
So I create a file named syscard.pce and stick it in the /roms/pcengine folder, and then where do I put everything else?

Thanx,
Stan

second exodous posted on Mar 19 2006 at 05:33 AM said:
I found a copy of Ys book I&II but the music is in .mp3 format, not wav, will mp3 work on GP2XEngine? It's not that big of a deal to convert them back to .wav files I guess, just a hassle and makes for a huge game.

Also, I'm not quite sure how to setup a CD game in the /rom/pcengine folder, the readme is kinda confusing. Here's what it says:

For load ISO and TOC files: put a system card cdrom named: syscard.pce in /roms/pcengine

.toc format is a text file with a list of track files (.iso and .wav)

WAV files are supported in PCM 8 or 16Bits 22050 or 44100 Hz and always STEREO.

The best format: 8 bit 22050Hz for more speed and minor space occupied in the SD memory

Some examples of .toc files:
Example 1: Automatic (DraculaX.toc)

Leadin
track1.wav
dracx-02.iso
track3.wav
track4.wav
track5.wav
track6.wav
track7.wav
track8.wav
track9.wav
track10.wav
track11.wav
track12.wav
track13.wav
track14.wav
track15.wav
track16.wav
track17.wav
track18.wav
track19.wav
track20.wav
track21.wav
drackx_22.iso
Leadout
So I create a file named syscard.pce and stick it in the /roms/pcengine folder, and then where do I put everything else?

Thanx,
Stan

The syscard.pce is the CD OS for the PC Engine not a blank or empty file.
Have a look round for one there are 3 types, it will depend on the game you are playing but I would go for a syscard 2..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Engine
http://thedump.classicgaming.gamespy.com/tg16/

And a pic of the card:
http://www.gamerwiki.com/index.php/Image:HU_card.jpg

Enjoy !
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Still looking for a syscard.pce, but after I get it where do I put everything else? Do I just put the game in a seperate folder in the /roms/pcengine/ys or do I just dump everything in /roms/pcengine?

Also, this game didn't come with a .toc file, so do I just create a .txt file with the info and then rename it to ys.toc? It came with .cue files, same thing? Can I just rename them to .toc?

Thanx,
Stan

a .cue is used for cd burning - the pc engine cds had no copy protection.

As of the other questions - sorry I have not used the PC engine,
with cd images,
all the good games,
I have and own with real PC Engine !

(surpose to be a poem !)

Try it EvilDragon and see if it does for you, I can't figure it out, it might just be the copy I have.

Thanx,
Stan

It runs great for me with non-cd games. The first time I installed it didn't work, so I deleted it and then installed again. All you need is the .gpe file, and put it in root, then run it. Make sure you put your .pce files in /roms/pcengine.

This is one of my fav emus on the GP2X. I always wanted a TG16 but never got one, I'm making up for my childhood now.

Thanx,
Stan

Knoxximus posted on Mar 19 2006 at 10:45 PM said:
Does anyone else have a problem with this Emu? I'm running 1.4.0 with cramfs and I can't even get this emu to load.....I get the "black screen of death". :(

Yes there's some problems with 1.4.0 and cramfs and the very last release.
BUT the release just before works nice (I just tried today).
If you can't find it, just PM me and I'll send you (it's the V1.3, but on an advice from this forum I managed to downgrade it and it's working now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back