Gp32 Blu Or Zodiac?

Kop_007

Istanbul Red
Money is a bit of an issue, but I just sold my GP32 original so I have a bit of cash floating around.

I cant decide between a GP32 BLU or a Zodiac1.

I will use it 85% for emulation, 10% movies and 5% music and other random stuff.

So, I think I'd be happy with a GP32 BLU (I know it's a gp32 Forum)...I'm also deffo getting a PSP, so I dont reckon the Zodiac would be worth it, just for my emualtion needs? Better to go for the cheaper emu device...argh.

It has all the emualtors Zodiac has?...and the Snes is near enough full speed?

I dont know. Help me. I've got one of those disorders were I cant decide unless atleast 10 different souls tell me what to do.

Thanks.

I'm in the UK, so i'll be buying either from GBAX.COM.

In my oppinion a gp32 is what you want. From what you say you won't use the pda functions of the zodiac, which you pay extra for to be honest. And as you say money is a bit of an issue it would back up the GP32 decision.

I've just had the option to ditch the gp32 for a zodiac as I had the extra cash but I went for the gp32 for the value for money, and as it's just what I need really. I'd only consider a zodiac if I *really* needed the extra storage, but you can just get a few smc's pretty cheap if you need to anyway.

That's my oppinion anyway :).

Well, I'd go for the GP32 for the time being - especially if you;re ging to get a PSP in due course anyway. SNES emu isn't *quite* there yet, but with the next release (which, according to Hando, Yoyo has promised "very very soon") I'd be surprised if it doesn't get it. The screen for the BLU looks lovely (hell, the FLU was great, but the BLU looks a long way better), so you should enjoy playing them, and movies look pretty close to DVD quality a lot of the time if encoded right.

Probably the GP32 is the thing for you.

Plus, there's signing and a less good battery length to consider for the Z. Which would stop me buying it, personally, right out...

It might be an idea to ask the same question on a Zodiac board, though, and see what they say - a GP32 board is likely, after all, to be full of people who like the GP32 and will advise you to get one (like me :) ).

get a gp32, if your gonna get a next gen handheld I'd wait for the psp or ds, screw zodiac, that thing gets less publicity then the gp32, I'd laugh at anyone who actually wasted money on that thing, especially with the psp around the corner, whats the friggin point in a zodiac, it doesnt even have a community like the gp32 to back it up.

if tapwave don't sort out their licences with regard the GPL, yoyo has stated he won't bother developing for the zodiac anymore, hes going to go along the road of skeezix and dev for palm os5. yoyo has said to hando that, what i'm guessing, the final version of os9xgp will be released very soon.

rlyeh has said he want to finish all his project this year, and the elites keep making hints at something pretty huge coming from his camp soon.

go for the gp32, the BLU screens look great! although with the deluge of FLUs being sold off for BLUs, you can get a real deal on ebay!

If you want to spend a lot of money, then go for the zodiac.

Especialliy concerning that you have to pay €30 to play doom...

Also, be prepared for the weight of the zodiac "portable".
It weighs a whopping 500 grammes.

But i guess the zodiac is more powerful.

Thing is: Do you WANT to pay a lot of money just to play emulators.

If not: Go for the GP32

gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console
get a gp32
you wont regret it

edit: holy crap
post 700

I did post the same question at Zodiac and gamer and a very nice chap more or less told me to get a BLU.

I sold my GP32 Last week and I'm already missing it. I'm gonna get a BLU...I think.

I love the GP32., SNES is my favourite system (system of childhood) so I'll look forwars to the new release. Thnk, if I order it now, I should have it by Wednesday...oh crap. I dont know....BLU/ZODIAC/BLU/ZODIAC/BLU....It's a BLU.

edit: holy crap
post 177

Well, as you said, 85% emulation. That means that you're going to be needing emulators (duh!), and the emulators for the GP32 are free, and those for the Zodiac are not. Also, there's this problem about stuff needing to be signed by Tapwave. So, a developer is less likely to release a beta of his emu, because he'd need to go through all the trouble of getting it signed. So you'll be stuck waiting a long time for a release. I also think it's holding potential developers off...

If you want to spend a lot of money, then go for the zodiac.

Especialliy concerning that you have to pay €30 to play doom...

Also, be prepared for the weight of the zodiac "portable".
It weighs a whopping 500 grammes.

But i guess the zodiac is more powerful.

Thing is: Do you WANT to pay a lot of money just to play emulators.

If not: Go for the GP32
/me sighs

Again folks, be impartial :)

The Zodiac is like half the size of the GP32.. it fits in a pocket!

Also, most emus are free; a few are shareware, and are *very good*. ie: Theres my TG16 emu (GuineaPig) for free, or you can buy Dream Engine (I think its $10USD give or take), and its much better. Choice is good.

Sorry, just chiming in because I hate to see people showing a huge bias :/

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as you said, 85% emulation. That means that you're going to be needing emulators (duh!), and the emulators for the GP32 are free, and those for the Zodiac are not. Also, there's this problem about stuff needing to be signed by Tapwave. So, a developer is less likely to release a beta of his emu, because he'd need to go through all the trouble of getting it signed. So you'll be stuck waiting a long time for a release. I also think it's holding potential developers off...
BTW, signing is zero work and hasn't ever held anything back.

ie: CaSTaway/Z got signed in about 30 mins .. I emailed TW, they sent it back signed 30 mins later.. at like 9pm!

LJZ is not held up by signing, it is held up due to a little clause in the TW SDK disagreeing with the GPL; its actually not TW holding it up either, for that matter... so TW had to go after all the license stakeholders (XForge, TW, PalmSource, etc etc) to make sure all were okay with the GPL (which they all always have been, but you know lawyers..), so they've had to ratify it. This s done, they're just signing the new agreements. So its a non-issue. However, its never been related to digital signing, its a GPL fighting with non-GPL issue.

(And as to that, go find out how many GP32 apps are violating the GPL and you'll find 3/4 of them ;)

jeff

(edit -- sorry for ranting. Just hate seeing all this.. why can't Zod and GP32 folks get along? :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the money buy both.
I did and its nice to have the 2 of them.
I ghuess to be honmest i probably do use the bLU more but i love to play MICROQUAD on the Zodiac and the PAL platform is a great sytem to have use of.
Oh and if any one is interested i am selling my:
GAMEPARK GP32 FLU with EXTRA'S etc ON EBAY....10.00 PM AUCTION START
with a great BUY NOW OPTION INCLUDED...

Davey Fontan...
Original Mystical Ninja... :ph34r:

<p align="center"><b><font size="7" color="#0000FF">BUY MY GP32 FLU on EBAY<br>
from 10 P.M BRITISH TIME TONIGHT...</font></b></p>

Back