Gp32 Future?

OmarNawaz

I am the only one who feels that an ominous shadow hangs over the future of our beloved korean device.

With things like the ds and psp comign out in the same price range yet packing a much more powerful tech spec, i find myself wondering if its worth for me to continue my ultimate gp32 project?

Yet one thing i know as a fact as an open source platform the gp32 has yet to flower to its full potential and i know most of you will say its a matter of time but do we as an communtiy have that time?

I don't mean to sound pesimistic i jsut want to know what your guys feelings are?

this gets asked every week. theres been an ominous shadow hanging around the gp32 since it first came out. the gp32 still has a long life left

Wow, ermm, the adic just happened, 37 new games, and its a homebrew system anyway, so....

goto www.dcemu.com if you think other systems will kill us. Sega killed off dreamcast, mainly because of xbox, gamecube, and ps2, yet it lives on strongly with homebrew.

We are already homebrew, so....

Also, just code stuff yourself and it will never be dead, dummy. Sorry, just bugged by doomsday sayers. "The end is nigh and all."

Just enjoy it, program for it, and it will live forever.

The GP32 isn't even in the same category as the DS and PSP. There are no similarities between the GP32 and any of the mass marketed handhelds. The only console that posed a threat was the Zodiac, and it weathered that without trouble.

So yes, you're the only one that feels that way. The GP32 community is alive, strong, and growing, and a good example would have to be the 37 new games recently released from the ADIC competition.

I think it will go on for a while yet - there are paralells between the GP32 scene and the (somewhat larger) Amiga scene and that is probably still going.

The GP32x banner that says 'the most powerful handheld in the world' is gradually becoming an ironic statement though.

Surely the number of GP32 owners is still increasing, if not, then why are GbaX and Lik-Sang looking so smug? Doesn't this still mean that the community is growing further?
And the fact that the BLU+ was made surely demonstrates that not only have GP totally sold out their BLU units, but they're expecting to sell a lot more. Predicting the death of the GP32 at this point is highly unsubstantated.

It's like being born with a rare diesise(sp?) but living a long happy life. That's my explanation for the gp32, the only way for it to die would be a massive zodiac price slash or the gp32 2....maybe also a new open source console.
Which none of those seem likely this year.

I think it will go on for a while yet - there are paralells between the GP32 scene and the (somewhat larger) Amiga scene and that is probably still going.

The GP32x banner that says 'the most powerful handheld in the world' is gradually becoming an ironic statement though.

The most versatile, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
gp32_console The most powerful handheld out of what few handhelds that don't cause carpal tunnel syndrome (Gp32 is ergonomic :) ), don't cause eye cancer (GBA screen sucks) and doesn't cost way too much.

gp32_console The most powerful handheld out of what few handhelds that don't cause carpal tunnel syndrome (Gp32 is ergonomic :) ), don't cause eye cancer (GBA screen sucks) and doesn't cost way too much.

I bought my girlfriend the Zelda edition of the GBA SP and I was really impressed by the screen. I have been using a GBA with an Afterburner for about 2 years now and the GBA SP is clearly far better. It's cheaper than a GP32 as well.

Anyway, how about 'The most powerful handheld where you are better off never buying any software for it'?

gp32_console The most powerful handheld out of what few handhelds that don't cause carpal tunnel syndrome (Gp32 is ergonomic  :) ), don't cause eye cancer (GBA screen sucks) and doesn't cost way too much.

I bought my girlfriend the Zelda edition of the GBA SP and I was really impressed by the screen. I have been using a GBA with an Afterburner for about 2 years now and the GBA SP is clearly far better. It's cheaper than a GP32 as well.

Anyway, how about 'The most powerful handheld where you are better off never buying any software for it'?

But the BLU blows away any GBA FLU screen completely so that is a moot point. The Ds screen is backlit but much smaller so bah...

And yes this topic has been done ad nauseum, it is a good thing I am not a mod or it would be closed by now ;)

generalnmx said:
Hando said:
Evildragon said:
t_closed.gif

:lol:

Attachments

• t_closed.gif
    t_closed.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 95
But the BLU blows away any GBA FLU completely so that is a mute point...

<Pedant alert> I think you mean moot point. </Pedant alert>

Is the BLU really that much better? I am starting to think that I should try to sell my FLU GP32 and get a BLU but I don't want one of those BLU+'s as I don't want to deal with all the extra incompatibility issues.

The GP32 is never going to be one of those big budgeted handhelds from the big companies (ie Nintendo and Sony) so it can't really be compared. The difference is that GP32 developers do it for fun, and don't seem to be too bothered about money (good job really, eh?!).

Our little handheld is always gonna be there in the background, and as long as the likes of us are there to support any future developments, then it has a future.

But the BLU blows away any GBA FLU completely so that is a mute point...

<Pedant alert> I think you mean moot point. </Pedant alert>

Is the BLU really that much better? I am starting to think that I should try to sell my FLU GP32 and get a BLU but I don't want one of those BLU+'s as I don't want to deal with all the extra incompatibility issues.

Yes, the BLU is much better. Compare a frontlit SP with a DS or PDA, laptop etc. that is the difference. The BLU screen is like a DS, PDA etc. in quality only much bigger than DS, and the black level a bit better.

I am the only one who feels that an ominous shadow hangs over the future of our beloved korean device.

With things like the ds and psp comign out in the same price range yet packing a much more powerful tech spec, i find myself wondering if its worth for me to continue my ultimate gp32 project?

Yet one thing i know as a fact as an open source platform the gp32 has yet to flower to its full potential and i know most of you will say its a matter of time but do we as an communtiy have that time?

I don't mean to sound pesimistic i jsut want to know what your guys feelings are?

I can't believe you are saying this at this present moment in time. I was thinking the other day that now is about the best time to be owning a GP32. There are a huge number of games and emulators being written and updated. The scene has never seemed stronger to me that at present and I've been a regular here for a year or more and viewed the forums as a guest for several months before that.

I would go as far as saying that the GP32's prospects are better now than at any other time.

Even if EVERY programmer and/or GP32 user other than me suddenly dropped dead and I was the ONLY person left in the world to even know what a gp32 is.. well, pretty much if absolutly nothing new was ever made for the GP32 I'd still be perfectly happy with it :D

srry if I jinxed anyone into dieing :ph34r: :lol:

The GP32 is the best homebrew thing I have ever bought and has even surpassed the Dreamcast. Megadrive, SNES, Master System and NES emulation are all excellent. Dreamcast GBC emulation is brilliant though - much better than playing GBC games on a Gamecube via Gameboy Player.
(edit: I am drunk and on my own right now so I seem to be replying to a lot more threads than I should do as I clearly do not not know what I am talking about)

Back