Gp32 Linux???

DarkAeden

please...someone can make a step by step tutorial to use gplinux, to let use that very cool usb adaptor with 5v power and to make all work good??????SO that we can now use all the usb thingz we had!!!!!'PLEASEEEEEEEE

There is a tutorial available on www.gp32linux.com - but not for the latest usb stuff. Keep in mind that no matter where linux is running, on a desktop computer, a pda or the GP32, you should prepare yourself for some heavy reading action to understand how to use it.

DarkAeden, if you knew much about Linux, you'd know that what your asking will be of no use to you at all.

What exactly are you going to do with it when you get it working? :p

As a proof of concept that it is possible to access USB devices in this manner, it is very interesting, but beyond that it is no use to 99% of us.

Well, you're both partly right. That's because there are two sides to this story, the electronics side, and the software side. My specialty is the electronics side, and I could probably whip up a schematic for the 5v thingy in a few minutes. I'm not however, very skilled with Linux, even though I could probably figure it out if I had a day or two to look at it, then look at it some more, screw up a bit, screw up a bit some more, then finally get it to work, partly (I'm mainly referring to cross-compiling shit like drivers for the USB stuff). You will have to poke around a bit though, and try some things yourself. Because, honestly, that's the kind of OS Linux is, it's for people who like poking around a bit.

Well, people can tell you how linux needs to be put on your SMC, and probably how the USB adapter needs to be built, but anything beyond that is just too much to tell other people in a howto.
Yeah, people can tell you how to mount an usb stick or an external usb drive, but is that of any use for you if you don't know what to do with those files on that device?

i just wanna know what files to put where on my gp32 and if i NEED a chatboard for this
after that, I could learn basic linux stuff from others
like how to use certain apps and stuff
ill worry bout the USB stuff later

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Sep 2 2004 at 10:55 PM said:
i just wanna know what files to put where on my gp32 and if i NEED a chatboard for this
after that, I could learn basic linux stuff from others
like how to use certain apps and stuff
ill worry bout the USB stuff later

~Octavious

You either need a chatboard or a serial cable to control the input. How would you enter your commands without? ;)
(Okay, basically, an USB ethernet/wifi device would do the job, too, if set up properly)
About the files:
bootloader.fxe goes into GPMM
zImage and initrd go into GPMM/linux

that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some informations about linux for GP32 too.
The point is that I do not want to take on my spare time to install and run linux and then realize that it's useless.
So can someone post in what running linux on a GP32 helpd him/her ?
I mean that what could be interesting for me could be to be able to use ocaml on my GP32 (at least the non graphic part of ocaml), or even much smaller softwares like awk.

GaRZoL posted on Oct 17 2004 at 01:49 PM said:
I need some informations about linux for GP32 too.
The point is that I do not want to take on my spare time to install and run linux and then realize that it's useless.
So can someone post in what running linux on a GP32 helpd him/her ?
I mean that what could be interesting for me could be to be able to use ocaml on my GP32 (at least the non graphic part of ocaml), or even much smaller softwares like awk.
There are some screenshots of what you can actually do on gp32linux.com.

You may find it is useful to you, or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back