Gp32 Modding Questions

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
I just finnished dissassembling my GP32 and had a couple questions about some possible modifications.
1. Is it possible to put a screen light on it? ( I have an original GP32 with no light). 2. Can I do the LED button mod without having a FLU or BLU unit?
3. What is the best type of spraypaint to use on my GP32 and about how much should it cost? (In US dollars, please)
4. How difficult is it to change the resistors in order to overclock to 166+mhz? (I have no previous experience with anything like that..)
5. Does the 32MB RAM upgrade actually affect any games much? (Is it worth it?)

Also, for all of the above mods, is there a very high chance of ruining my GP32 permanently?

Thanks

Q: Also, for all of the above mods, is there a very high chance of ruining my GP32 permanently?

A: Most definately. Anytime you open a device, you risk damage, either cosmetic, or catastrophic. The GamePark32 was never designed to be user serviceable, just hackable. Use extreme caution when doing anything like solderin or painting. I strongly recommend that you practice on a dead peice of tech first to perfect your abilities.

Q: 1. Is it possible to put a screen light on it? ( I have an original GP32 with no light). 2. Can I do the LED button mod without having a FLU or BLU unit?

A: I don't know. This is good advice for anyone posting or reading posts. Sometimes, when we don't know what we're talking about, an honest answer is the best answer.

Q: 3. What is the best type of spraypaint to use on my GP32 and about how much should it cost? (In US dollars, please)

A: Epoxy paint will be very durable. Also a posibility is Truck Bedliner Paint. In either case you want to use multiple coats, and only paint what can be seen from the outside. About $5 or $6 / Can.

Q: 4. How difficult is it to change the resistors in order to overclock to 166+mhz? (I have no previous experience with anything like that..)

A: Please don't try it until you practice about 20 times on something that's dead. You are talking about replacing surface-mount resistors, usually placed by a robot in a controlled environment. Yes there are those of us who can do it with our eyes closed, but these components are very delicate.

Q: 5. Does the 32MB RAM upgrade actually affect any games much? (Is it worth it?)

A: In my oppinion, the extra memory is only useful if you want to have a full blown Linux on the GP, or you want to run really big ROMS in some emulator like MAME or OpenSNES. In any case, you would first need to flash the GP with firmware that can recognize the extra memory, and obtain FXEs that support the memory as well. Short answer: Not worth it.

You`ll find most of the answers to your questions here.

http://www.cobbleware.com/gp32/gp32.html

And as for your last question:

deadlychicken22 posted on Mar 12 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
Also, for all of the above mods, is there a very high chance of ruining my GP32 permanently?

From what you have said about your lack of experience with stuff like this, It is pretty much a definite Yes!.
Unless you have a second GP32 to experiment with or someone competent enough to do it for you, I`d be very cautious.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ That was a useful reply :lol: :lol: (EDIT: that was related to the second post, but he edited it)

1. Someone tried it, and theres currently another thread open about that, Search the Board

2. I think you can.

3.Don`t know about that.

4.I think it`s very difficult, if you have never done anything like that.

5.Absolutely not. Not worth even thinking of doing it (if you want speed/load increases, perhaps not if you want a supermodded gp32 :D ).

Chance ruining your GP32:

2. High, if you can`t cut the membranes very well
3. High if you do a bad paint job B)
1., 4. & 5. Very High, if you can`t solder.

1. Many people have tried, only one succeeded. I wouldn't try it.

2. No, it doesn't matter. All you do is make holes in your select and start buttons, shove some leds in them and wire those up to the battery slot. I haven't modded at all though.

5: The program has to be made for using the 32mb upgrade, or there is no difference in performance, and there aren't any that are made for the mod. You also have to flash your firmware with a special firmware before performing the mod, or your gp32 will not even boot. And if you flash your firmware with that firmware and then don't peform the mod, your gp32 is also useless.

Blah posted on Mar 12 2005 at 07:28 PM said:
5: The program has to be made for using the 32mb upgrade, or there is no difference in performance, and there aren't any that are made for the mod. You also have to flash your firmware with a special firmware before performing the mod, or your gp32 will not even boot. And if you flash your firmware with that firmware and then don't peform the mod, your gp32 is also useless.

This is not true.. A BIOS that autodetects 8M, 32M and 64M RAM has been out there for almost a year. So the same BIOS for all "available" RAM sizes. You can find one from www.deadcoderssociety.org :blink:

Sorry to bother you again but I have two more questions.
Is there a way to switch the red light on the top of the gp32 (indicating that it's on) to a blue light? (I saw a picture of it somewhere...)
What are the requirements for the LED button lights and how hard would it be to install them?
Thanks

mr.spiv posted on Mar 12 2005 at 09:03 PM said:
Blah posted on Mar 12 2005 at 07:28 PM said:

This is not true.. A BIOS that autodetects 8M, 32M and 64M RAM has been out there for almost a year. So the same BIOS for all "available" RAM sizes. You can find one from www.deadcoderssociety.org :blink:

so spaketh spiv

Back