Gp32world Has Been Hacked!

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Well, unless it's some kind of bad April Fool's joke, it seems that http://www.gp32world.co.uk is no more. :( If you go to the website it simply says
Hello all GP32 World has been hacked and all data has been permenantly deleted. Thanks to everyone who supported it throughout its life Crazeeplaya

It must have happened some time over the long Good Friday weekend, because it was still around before I left for a holiday 3 days ago.

Anyway, the one bright spot about this is that because GP32World had already proven itself to be notoriously easy to hack (see this forum thread), I backed up all of the reviews to my harddrive in case anything like this happened.

The question now is, what should I do with them? There are a whole lot of reviews on all kinds of things, including commercial games, homebrew games, game interpreters like Scumm, OSs, and retro reviews (games that can be played with an emulator on the GP32).

Don's Homebrew Review Site is only for homebrew games, and there doesn't seem to be any other gp32 review site that's decently organized into categories. If somebody on the staff of GP32x would be willing to remake their miniscule review page (which currently consists of 4 reviews) into something bigger, with different categories, that allows images to be posted within reviews, I'd only be too happy to hand everything over to them (or if they trust me enough to give me admin powers I could do it myself ;) ).

The overclocked emulator files will also need a new home, although I only have some of the files (you can't get them on GP32x.de )

On the other hand, the huge (and only) gp32 links database, which at last count had 97 gp32-related links, is irretrievably gone.

Unless somebody knows how I could find a "history" page of gp32world; I think you can search for something like that on Google (they have some kind of archive; that's how I retrieved the deleted material the last time this happened). Does anybody know if this is now possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this does seem odd.. Considering that ngemu also went down about nearly a week ago now due to hackers, whether it would be the same hackers or not is another thing..

its really a pain in the ass, but hackers apparently have nothing to do, so instead of vandalism we all know and love like graffiti we get to see this shit that annoys us so much in other ways <_<

That sucks... :( Best bet is to try to reconstruct it from Google's cache of the front page + peoples backups and Temporary Internet Files + archive.org's Wayback Machine...More trouble then its worth I guess, though.

Blah posted on Mar 28 2005 at 05:50 AM said:
That sucks... :( Best bet is to try to reconstruct it from Google's cache of the front page + peoples backups and Temporary Internet Files + archive.org's Wayback Machine...More trouble then its worth I guess, though.
How do I find the google cache from a few days back?

Esn posted on Mar 28 2005 at 07:14 AM said:
That sucks... :(  Best bet is to try to reconstruct it from Google's cache of the front page + peoples backups and Temporary Internet Files + archive.org's Wayback Machine...More trouble then its worth I guess, though.

I'll PM you with everything the Google caches gave up in a few minutes...to think I slap a robots.txt on all of my sites... ;)

(If this is an April Fools' joke, I hereby demand the last hour of my life back.)

Didn't the person in charge of the site back it up regularly? The price of media is soo cheap these days there's no excuse for not having a regular backup.

I auto backup my server every 5 mins or so, I'm way too afraid of anything going wrong and loosing the lot.....

TandeM posted on Mar 28 2005 at 07:10 AM said:
Esn posted on Mar 28 2005 at 07:14 AM said:

I'll PM you with everything the Google caches gave up in a few minutes...to think I slap a robots.txt on all of my sites... ;)

(If this is an April Fools' joke, I hereby demand the last hour of my life back.)

Wow, thanks TandeM. :blink: That covers almost the entire website barring the reviews & news which aren't needed anyway! I don't know if Crazeeplaya would be able or willing to rebuild the website, but if not all that material could be put to use somewhere else... I wish there was some way to contact crazeeplaya actually and ask him just that, but I don't have his email address & I don't think he frequents the GP32 scene that much anymore (aside from checking up on his own former website every few days). If any of the admins here know how to get in touch with him (via email possibly) that would be much appreciated.

It's a bit like the pleasure you get when kicking down a huge sand castle that someone's built on the beach. Or a snowman that might have lasted weeks otherwise. Or burning a bridge, or shooting a person, or destroying a country.

Destruction is fun; almost as much fun as creating something, and for only 1/100th of the effort. I can definitely see why people like it!

aapje89 posted on Mar 28 2005 at 09:41 AM said:
what's so fun about "hacking" a website and deleting everything? <_<

I bet it gave the no brain who hacked it a sense of supremacy that’s probably lacking in their life. It’s more likely to be an adolescent, and they need to get another hobby.

One thing that annoys me though, if they are SOOO clever, why can’t they be more productive? Anyone can break something, but it takes a unique kind of person to create. With a good creation, you can stand proud and say “I did that!”, and it will be something that will be there for a long time. But hacking is anonymous and is only there for as long as the site is down, what’s the point? Like a blind psychotic assassin, I will take a wild stab in the dark here and say, I think they are jealous of the talents of others.

In my books if they are so mentally endowed, then they wouldn’t need to wreck someone else’s hard work, they would write something outstanding themselves. But I guess that’s beyond their talents.

:blink:

I think updating the review section of gp32x and adding all files to ED`s archive (I bet he has nothing against it :)) would be cool, we could have a new concentration of information about the gp32 in one big place.

I think that would be cool...

I know that people want to make their own sites, but I don`t see any point in having dozens of gp32 sites. I only frequent gp32x, only when I read about something in a topic or so, I leave off to another site for some minutes... well, that`s how I think,
I also believe that gp32x is the site, which is always the up-to-date, always the newest news :blink: (of the englsih gp32 sites, don`t know about others :D), which is the reason I`m here...

Back